Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

I know I am paranoid but...could there be other explanations for my welts

(6 posts)
  1. peppy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 0:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I feel like you must be sick of me and I feel like I must sound insane and paranoid, but.... A few days ago I was in a home that had bedbugs and had been exterminated. Since then I have been terrified that I brought them home myself. After the first night I noticed many (about 20) bites on my right hand. A few days went by and no signs of bedbugs. Then today I noticed a very large red welt under my arm. My underarm is covered with pjs when I sleep and I didn't notice the welts until mid-day, after sitting in the hot sun. To be fair, I have never gotten welts in the sun before. The weld did NOT itch.

I guess I am hoping someone will say "it is highly unlikely this is bedbug," but I realize the symptoms are different in everyone. I am just really scared. Does anyone have any advice? When bedbugs create a physical manifistation is there always a corresponding itch? Good or bad, I would love to hear what you all think. Making things worse, I have noticed tiny pinpoint sized black dots on my bed, but I sleep with two cats and there are always certain amounts of weird things associated with their fur. The black dots are not stuck to the bed and move easily.

If anyone can offer any thoughts, I would so appreciate it. I am not sure if I am being paranoid or just vigilant....

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 1:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Id search for bedbug feces on cloth and wood and metal pics.

take some pics if you can and show them.
    Inspect your bed for feces, especially hidden joins in wood or seams in cloth, with a flashlight.

Youve already shown us samples of carpet beetle shells, those can cause an itch.

The house you were at, can you find out how long ago their extermination was and how many exterminations they had had when you visited? Had they been bedbug free for any length of time?

3. peppy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 1:45:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bedbugg! Thanks for responding. The welts have already faded quite a bit. I need help taking the photos, so it might have to wait until the morning.

The house that I visited was exterminated for bedbugs a few times. They didn't like the place that did their initial extermination.

What is so strange about my underarm welt is that there is no itching at all. I wouldn't have even realized I had the welt had I not seen it in the mirror. I am noy sure if the fact that it doesn't itch and seems to be fading indicates it is not from bedbugs. I suspect it doesn't tell us much.

The only signs of feces I see are two blacl ink pen-like marks near the foot of my bed on the comforter. However, I often write in bed and there is a good chance those have were made when writing awhile ago.

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 1:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like they had their infestation treated pretty decently.

The usual time frame is 2-3 PCO visits 2-3 weeks apart each. If you were bitten in one afternoon after a second or third spray, I say they either have a terrible resistant infestation, or you were reacting to some chemicals or something else happened.

All the photos you have posted have been negative for bed bugs.

Id say breath, go to sleep, and tomorrow inspect your bedframe/ mattress and the area around your bed.

5. peppy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 2:02:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bushbugg! This whole situation has been full of stress and I realize I don't even know if I have bedbugs. You give great advice and I will try to sleep and recheck in the morning. I already have mattress encasements on my mattress and bedspring--I did that the other day at the advice of a PCO.

I am definitely getting a PCO here as soon as the holiday weekend is over. I guess I was hoping for a definitive statement that bedbugs can't bite through fabric or something (I was wearing long sleeves in bed and the welt is under my armpit), but I realize that everything varies based on circumstance and my hope is totally unrealistic.

6. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 2:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

they cant bite, but they can crawl. very thin.

and dont take my word on it, im a newbite like you. check in with the old timers, especially with photo proof.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88