I KILLED THEM ALL.

(5 posts)
  1. omshanti

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 17:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Or at least I sure hope I did, but it's been nine months in the new place, and no sign of them yet. I've _mostly_ started sleeping again, too. Mostly.

I was about to move out of the apartment anyway, and the landlord was less than no help, so I concentrated on two things:

1) Keeping the infestation from getting any worse -- I used diatomaceous earth (spread it EVERYWHERE) and washed my sheets (what felt like) twice a day. Actually not that often, but I thought about it. Killed them wherever I saw them, repeatedly poured boiling water over my office chair (which was ALSO infested, EW).

2) Getting rid of ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I possibly could. Most of it just got thrown away. Some of it went to the thrift store -- only after being THOROUGHLY treating, because that would be pretty crappy of me otherwise. My bed and bedding went into the trash about two days before I moved -- yeah, sleeping right on the floor wasn't great, but I wasn't sleeping much ANYWAY so.

3) Treating things as I packed up to move.

Anything that would survive the dryer on high went in for three hours, then got triple-bagged -- the third bag came off right before it went into the moving truck, the second came off before I carried it into the new place, and then it all went right back in the dryer before I put it away.

The only upholstered things I owned were the aforementioned office chair and the padding to my Ikea chair, both of which I chucked. All my other furniture (a desk, a workbench, and a bunch of shelves, all wood) got the boiling water treatment. Twice -- once before it went into the truck, and once after I got where I was going.

And then I got the Packtite. Everything that wouldn't survive boiling water or a hot dryer -- shoes, books (ALL THE BOOKS), my computer (I know, but what else was I gonna do?), my kitchen stuff -- EVERYTHING -- went through the Packtite. And then again once it came out of the truck.

Because I really don't think there's much in the way of overkill when it comes to bedbugs. I mean, yeah, burning your house down would _probably_ be an overreaction...but some days, the thought is just SO SO TEMPTING.

2. cinciNASTIbugs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 18:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

^^^ Definitely crossed my mind to burn the house down...some days still seems so tempting!

Congratulations!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 23:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

omshanti,

I am so glad you got rid of your bed bugs! Congratulations!

Thanks for writing your success story so others can be inspired.

Note to others: diatomaceous earth can be a useful tool but putting it "everywhere" is not a safe use. It can be used safely but is dangerous for the human respiratory system if inhaled, so you don't want to have it in places where it will be kicked up and inhaled, just in cracks and crevices. Please read our FAQ on DE for more suggestions and references.

Also, omshanti had the right idea about making sure everything taken to the new home was bed bug-free. That said, for others who may be deciding what to do about their problem, it isn't necessarily necessary or even a good idea in many cases to toss lots of stuff out. I mention this only because sometimes people new to bed bugs throw lots of stuff out and later regret it. (I know I did.)

Keep in mind you may be able to treat your items. And if your neighbors pick up infested items, they may bring them back into other parts of the building, spreading the problem (perhaps even spreading it back to you).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ellie-A

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2014 4:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I am doing the same things as you do but cannot afford to move out yet I threw away my couch and bed and lots of other things I sleep on the floor with DE all around and sticky tape too to scared to open my eler outlets but blew the powder inside them and sealed all arounf them with tape it has been four days since I discovered the infestation and still am in process of cleaning I also have put my bags, magazinez shoes in bags and leff them in pots of boiled water until the water cooled down I have moved my cloths to a friends building washing and drying them there and leaving them at her place for a while I steam my shoes before i go out and when I get home steamed the clean cloths I have at home after I take them out of bags have been steaming and cleaning and vaccuming none stop can someone please tell me that I am fighting this correctly?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2014 4:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ellie,
    Please start a new thread with your questions about treatment.
    More people will see your questions this way.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19