I keep finding one bed bug at a time

(5 posts)
  1. village.idiot

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 18:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

A little more than a month ago I had been getting multiple small itchy bites all over my arms and sometimes on my legs, and had noticed spots of blood all over my bed. At first I thought they might have been flea bites as I have three dogs and I will occasionally let them sleep on my bed, but I was still really suspicious and asked my mom to help me look around my bed, when we found a group of bed bugs hanging around the corner of my mattress near my pillow.
    There weren't many and we don't think they had been there very long as those were the only ones we could see on the whole mattress, but we called my grandmother over anyway and immediately bagged up my mattress and box spring and threw them out. We bagged up all my stuff save for a few things on my desk, and spent several days spraying the whole room with 91% alcohol and steaming the room over and over and over, and then we got an air mattress and a bed bug cover for it and I began sleeping in my room again.
    For the most part we wouldn't see anything, occasionally we would spot one or two bugs and flush them down the toilet, and then one day a few weeks ago me and my grandmother were doing our daily check over of the bed and she decided to dump out my pillow, and five bed bugs came out. So we threw away the pillow and got a new one and a plastic cover to put over it, and I've been using that one since.
    After that we didn't see any bugs for about 13 days, and then we found one hanging out around the zipper of the plastic cover on my air mattress, and ever since then it's gone back to just finding one every few days. I know for certain they haven't been coming back with me from school on my clothes or in my backpack (I originally got the bugs from school) and we've been either steaming or spraying around the bed every few days since we found the bugs. A few days ago we checked all around the bed under the carpet and didn't find anything, so we have no idea where the bugs keep coming from.
    There are three sticky traps under the mattress and three on the floor, but there's only been one bug caught in any of them and it's been there for awhile now, and on Wednesday this week we plan to get a big bag of diatomaceous earth and pack it under the baseboards and sprinkle some on the floor under the bed, but we don't know what else to do. Should we also rip up the carpet? What else should I do?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 19:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Spam filter seems to have eaten your text.

3. village.idiot

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 20:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Spam filter seems to have eaten your text.

Thanks for notifying me! I'll rewrite it

4. village.idiot

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 20:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So a little over a month ago I started noticing bites all over my arms and blood spots on my bed, and thinking it might be fleas or ticks that were for some reason leaving blood everywhere, called in my mother to help me check out the bed. We found a group of bed bugs hanging out on the top left corner of my mattress under the sheets, so we immediately called my grandmother over and she helped us bag up the mattress and box spring and haul them out to the trash.

We then bagged up all of the stuff in my room save for a few things on my desk that we could confirm had no bugs on them, and for the time being we set the bags in a corner of my room away from the bed. We then spent a few days repeatedly switching between steaming the whole room and spraying everything down with 91% rubbing alcohol. After that we checked everything again including the baseboards and the carpet and didn't find anything else, so we bought a cheap air mattress and a plastic cover and I started sleeping in my room again.

At first we would only find about one or two bugs every few days or so, and then a few weeks ago we realized that they were probably coming from my pillow since we had just put the same pillow back on the bed and hadn't put a plastic cover on it, so we tossed that pillow and bought a new one and a cover. After that we didn't see any bed bugs and I didn't get any new bites for about 13 days, and then the cycle of finding one every few days started again.

We checked again under the carpet around the baseboards, we checked all the sticky traps around my bed, we checked in the nightstand next to my bed and the chest of drawers at the foot of my bed, and there weren't any gaps in the wood of my bed frame where they could be hiding, so now me and my mother and grandmother are stumped. Where else could these suckers be hiding? Should we just rip up the carpet? Why is there just one at a time and absolutely no other signs of any other bugs at all?

5. village.idiot

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 29 2018 21:02:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Also! I forgot to add this in but I originally picked up the bed bugs from my school and my room is the only room in the house that has them. I've been extremely careful not to get them anywhere else in the house and not to pick any more of them up from school, although I believe the school had someone come spray for them as I haven't seen any since I picked them up about a month(ish) ago.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH