Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I just found a bed bug on my bed sheet this morning. Is this male or female?

(13 posts)
  1. dqtrn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 18:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved into my friend's studio apt yesterday and I found a bed bug on the bed sheet this morning.
    My friend is out of country for a month and I haven't talked about this with her yet. But we are very close so she would have told me if she had had a bed bug problem. I didn't have any bed bug problem at my old apt either.
    My suspicion is I probably got this bed bug from the moving van that I used yesterday.
    As soon as I saw it this morning, I squeezed it with tissue paper and threw it in a trash bin.
    I just came back home and took it out of the trash bin to take a look again to make sure if it was indeed a bed bug. Now I'm pretty sure it is. It was still alive and started crawling when I unfolded the tissue. Scary and disturbing.
    Please see this picture and let me know if this is a male or female. I tried to search myself for the way to distinguish between male and female but it's hard for me to tell.

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/inferbea/bed%20bug/?action=view&current=IMG_0228.jpg

It seems to be a lot of work even inspecting bed bugs at home, not to speak of killing them.
    Is it really necessary to go through all that when you see just one single bug?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 19:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Female

Jim

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 22:55:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. It's a necessity. You could be right that you picked it upon the moving van. Your friend may not react and therefore never knew she had bugs. Maybe it came a neighbor.

All are possible. Inspection is the tool to know if you should have treatment. Personally, one would be enough for me to call a pro, have an inspection and start treating the problem. BBs are good at hiding, alas.

4. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 0:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you know that BB is female?

5. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 0:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes. It's a necessity. You could be right that you picked it upon the moving van. Your friend may not react and therefore never knew she had bugs. Maybe it came a neighbor.
    All are possible. Inspection is the tool to know if you should have treatment. Personally, one would be enough for me to call a pro, have an inspection and start treating the problem. BBs are good at hiding, alas.

here's a picture of a male and female.

http://www.pest2000.it/Cimex/M&F01.jpg

6. dqtrn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 1:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all very much for your responses. Especially the photo that "I hate bugs" posted was very helpful. Thank you very much again.
    By the way, I just noticed the bumps on my arm. From what I read about bed bug bites, this has the exact pattern of "breakfast, lunch, and dinner", which is a line of three bites by bed bug.

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/inferbea/bed%20bug/?action=view&current=IMG_0232.jpg

What I don't understand is I assumed I had gotten one or more bed bugs from the moving van that I used yesterday. But the experts say it takes 9 days until you start to see the symptoms such as swelling, itchiness, etc. Does this mean I got bitten 9 days ago in my old apartment? and I brought bed bugs from my old apartment?
    Is it possible to start having symptoms just a day after?

7. OmgThereAnnoying

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 2:34:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I read some where that bed bugs were asexual, and could reproduce on there own, Im pretty sure i might be wrong but idk, better go and google it, but would loved if someone else could help me figure this one out.

8. VictoryIsMine

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 3:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs need to mate to reproduce.

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 6:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

They also need to feed to lay eggs. If you read the bed bug FAQs, you'll get tons of great information.

http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

OP: there is also some discussion of bites. Basically, they can come immediately or be delayed or even come back later. Like for me, tonight, bites from this summer are itching like mad. I'm super-stressed and that is my trigger. They aren't a great diagnostic tool, other than as an alert that bbs may be present.

10. OmgThereAnnoying

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 11:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for the feed back guys, highly appreciate it..... i like to learn my enemy before i kill them ..... muahahahaha !!!! i really hate these lil punks

11. dqtrn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 16:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your responses.
    Seeing all the IDs that reflect your situation and how you feel, makes me sympathetic toward all the fellow sufferers and at the same time makes me laugh.

Some funnest IDs -
    BugsMustDie
    makesmenuts
    VictoryIsMine
    KilltheseSpaunsofHell
    theyareoutthere
    AshamesandScratching
    NeverSurrender
    OMGThereAnnoying

lol

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 17:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be interesting for you to post the sites that have that incorrect information, such as:
    Parthenogenetic - no males required, no mating required.
    Line of 3 indicative of bed bug bites.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. dqtrn

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2011 0:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you saying that a line 3 bite marks by bed bugs is wrong information?
    Please see the link below.
    bedbuginfo.com/bed-bug-bite-symptoms.php

By the way, no mating required definitely sounds wrong. (I'm not the one who mentioned this so can't provide link.)

Admin note: yes: the "bites in a line of three" is a myth. It can happen but does not indicate bed bugs, nor should you assume bites not in this pattern aren't bed bugs. The site you linked to is not written by an expert. Loubugs (above) is an entomologist and bed bug expert, Louis Sorkin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned