(6 posts)
  1. lilypad73

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 8 2010 0:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there:

I'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post. It's sad that it has to be about bedbugs.

Last week, I woke up with a patch of itchy red welts all over my arms. At first, I thought they *could* be mosquito bites, but I've never been bitten in clusters before. As the day progressed, I started to doubt the mosquito theory and it dawned on me that the bites happened overnight, and the thought crossed my mind: could it be bedbugs? I started to do some research and looked for pictures/explanations of bedbugs, what infestations look like, etc.

Well, the next morning, I was chewed up again, and I immediately searched the sheets for signs of activity. I found the fecal matter on my sheets, and one faint bloodstain. Later that night, I found one tiny bedbug on the boxspring of my mattress (and yes, it was a bedbug). My belief is that I carried the bedbugs from my workplace. I'm a teacher, and while I was cleaning my classroom for the summer, I was moving/carrying kids' clothing to the lost and found. It's the only real explanation I can come up with, given the timeline. You think that the worst thing you could get would be lice, but nooooo.....

Anyway, aside from the bedbugs, I have a further dilemma: I live in a somewhat remote area and the nearest PCO would be at least 500 km away (over 300 miles) and aside from cost, distance makes professional extermination prohibitive and DIY necessary. I'm anxious about this because most of the sites say to hire a PCO and it just isn't possible where I live. So, I'm a little freaked out and am hoping that I can do this on my own (the silver lining is that I am on holiday and I do have the time to work on this). I have ordered an encasement, made my bed an island (all the posts are in bowls of soapy water, and I've wrapped the metal headboard in plastic wrap coated with petroleum jelly.

I have also ordered the following items to help me with this battle: Delta Dust, Bedlam, Gentrol, Steri Fab, D-Force HPX, DE, and someRest Easy (I'm also considering Suspend SC--just in case). Unfortunately, these things will take several days to arrive; in the meantime, I have been cleaning out my closet/drawers and laundering clothes on the hot cycle, throwing out items, bagging items, vacuuming every day, spraying with alcohol/water, wrapped my mattress in plastic/duct tape (until I get the encasement), scrubbing with Murphy's, and using a heat gun (verrrrrry carefully). I have tried using some Raid (with pyrethrins) along the baseboards and in my dresser, but I'm reluctant to use too much of it before I receive the other products in case I drive the bedbugs into hiding (all that talk about not treating bbs on your own has admittedly made me a little intimidated). A respirator will also be purchased, and I will be borrowing a carpet cleaner in the next couple of days (I'm not sure about the steam function on it, but I figure even if it sucks up some of the bugs/eggs, it's a start). I will also be treating my car, since there could be some bugs in there too (grrr).

Is there anything I've missed? Is there a particular order in which I should proceed once I am better equipped? I am holding out that there's some hope for the person who has to do DIY.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 18:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I knew how successful you could be at DIY treatments...I'm just not sure. But it seems like WOW you're doing it all...seems like you have everything you need and are working VERY hard at this.

Is the pco really SO far away they can't get to you? I don't understand. What about a thermal treatment? Is your house large?

3. jasmine311

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 23:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I think if sounds like you are on the right track. I'm not a professional exterminator, just someone who also had to get rid of them on her own. I had a very light infestation. I used DE and Phantom. Phantom has to be used very sparingly, especially by me, as I am chemically sensitive, but they are gone--and believe me--I know how stubborn they can be. This was my second infestation.

For my first infestation I used professional operators and put a lot of stuff into storage outside on the porch in the freezing cold. I think the professional treatment worked, but unfortunately I got kicked out of my apartment. I think the landlord thought my bedbugs, which I got from work, made the apartment complex look bad. They said they didn't need a reason not to renew my lease.

When I moved into my new apartment I figured the bugs would be dead from 3 months in the freezing cold on the porch, but guess what--they survived--so I had to get rid of them on my own because I was out of money. So that's basically what I used--a big ten pound bag of DE and a can of Phantom--plus putting all bedding in the dryer every other day, and cleaning and vacuuming like crazy. I'm so glad they're gone and I hope yours are gone soon too, Lilypad. Best of luck!

4. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 13:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great Jasmine, you should post your success here on a new thread to give hope to others that are suffering. We read so much negativity, not enough of the positive!

Happy you are bb free.

5. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 14:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

hey lilypad- hang in there.

i would really recommend buying a dry-vapour steamer if you're going the DIY route. a carpet steamer won't do much beyond making things damp, which BBs unfortunately don't mind.

that and DE. i might also consider buying climbups instead of soapy water for the bed. that way you can tell whether the buggers are coming or going.

don't forget if you're going to isolate your bed, use yourself as bait and spend lots of time there. it's the last place you want to be, and the one place you have to be. make it better for yourself by watching movies in bed. funny ones. don't even think of watching a sad one!

i'm so sorry you're going through this.

6. Beth

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 8:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Jasmine,

You used Phantom and DE? That's what I am using, except I had a pco spray Phantom. And they covered my entire floor in it and I am not feeling so well. Where did you put the Phantom. I think I have to clean some of this up, but don't want to clean it all up. And I wonder how you clean it.

Thanks-
    Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,906 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186