I have no idea what to do short term or long term

(4 posts)
  1. diebugsdie

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 11:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with bed bugs for a few months now. My landlord is very unhelpful. They finally had a PCO come and spray a couple of months ago, after I bugged them about it for about a month. He didn't seem really knowledgeable, and they only gave me 2 hours notice (I did already have everything washed and bagged), but gave no one else in the building any notice. They sprayed a few other apartments, but not the whole building. I have seen less bed bug activity since then, but have found a few more nymphs. I am not getting bit (I don't think), because I am being pretty careful with my bed situation. I have also been spraying with Bedlam intermittently and I think that might be why there have been less.

The landlord says they will come spray my apt but not the whole building. I've been after them for a couple weeks now, and have made a complaint with NYC but they haven't done anything. I feel like the bugs will never be completely gone if they spray just my apt, as there are TONS of places the bugs can get in-inches under the door, huge spaces near the radiator and heating pipes. I have caulked some, but caulking isn't enough. I would need to do some major things to my place that I don't even know how to do (I'm a single woman, not extremely handy). I don't have money for this stuff, though if I knew something would work, I guess I would do it. If I got my place COMPLETELY sealed up, could I work on the infestation from there and be confident bugs couldn't get in?

The thing is that I really want to move. I could wait till my lease is up in Aug, or I could probably get out of my lease sooner because of all the problems. My landlord is horrible with fixing stuff, I have had multiple problems with them, and I want out. But I don't dare move and take the BBs with me, so I could put my stuff in storage, but I can't really afford to be paying storage fees plus rent, plus moving. Or I can stay here and try to get rid of them, then move in Aug, but I don't know if I'll ever be rid of them.

Any advice would be great...

2. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 21 2008 13:45:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

I live in a high-rise and I sealed all the baseboards on all the adjoining walls to the other units. I am a single woman who's also 'not handy' with that kind of thing but I do the best I can, to be honest any handy-person would faint if they saw the overapplication of caulk, I figure too much is better than too little...

Could you call a PCO in for an inspection and also them about sealing up your place ie whats the best way to do it or what needs to be done? Some PCOs may be willing to give you advice on that score. Or ask a local handyman to come in and do the bigger jobs and advise you about the little ones? Sorry I'm probably not helping a lot but it's worth a shot. I'd also be on my landlady's a$$ to get this done, don't stop until you get it cleared up. It's your apt, your rent, your peace of mind and you deserve better.

3. diebugsdie

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 19:04:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, after doing my laundry today and finding TONS of bugs, several that had just barely fed IN my quilt (it's easier to see them when it was wet), I am going to see if I can get out of my lease and get the hell out. Though I have no money, I have to do something, so I am thinking I will do Vikane (yay for credit cards). Does anyone have a recommendation of who does Vikane in New York City? If so, please PM me. Also, anyone have a basic idea of how much it would cost to Vikane a small Uhaul? Thanks-

4. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2009 15:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard that Bedbugsandbeyond does fumigation and it does work well. Pricing I believe I was told was somewere around $1000 but not %100 on what it would cost you and your situation. Have you had a good PCO come in for inspection and treatment? Even if you do have a lot of bedbugs it is still possible to eliminate the pests and make a very drastic improvement after the first application. With a skilled eye, the time, and the proper tools a experienced PCO can help the situation immediatly. If you do have a severe bedbug infestation and decide to move, even if you vikane all your furniture and what not, there is no residual and still possible for eggs or nymphs to be in other areas not fumiated. A detailed inspection would be very beneficial to decide what items to fumigate and what not to, and even if you have to invest in the expense of fumiagation. Try an idependent PCO from this site to take on our situation. Good luck....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,565 posts in 48,149 topics over 149 months by 21,215 of 21,569 members. Latest: eaj278, Lh0512, patmc3853