I have bedbugs in an area that it is rare

(15 posts)
  1. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 1:51:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my story, I am freaking out. I just spent the last 4 hours creating a blog. I have no real idea how to make a blog but I tried my best. Its showing the latest post first and I want it the other order. I am writing a live story.

Im also going to stay on here and get help. Here is my story

http://bedbugjournal.blogspot.com

edit: forgot the link

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 8:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I just read through part of your blog. Try and calm down. If a PCO says they can come out this afternoon, that is reasonable. Demanding that they come in the morning is not. Offering to pay more money is not. You've obviously had bed bugs for some time and it may take a while to get rid of them. You've got to keep a level head when you're dealing with this problem.

3. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 11:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 2 hours ago  » 
    I just read through part of your blog. Try and calm down. If a PCO says they can come out this afternoon, that is reasonable. Demanding that they come in the morning is not. Offering to pay more money is not. You've obviously had bed bugs for some time and it may take a while to get rid of them. You've got to keep a level head when you're dealing with this problem.

yeah, i never experienced something like this before at all. The exterminator is coming out Saturday actually and has to do the entire complex. will cost 2000$.

4. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 11:21:54
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 3 hours ago  » 

How long do you think I had them? how long do you think my neighbor had them? O_O

5. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 11:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

How long do you think I had them, how long do you think my neighbor had them?

6. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 18:33:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I finally have my room cleaned out. working on the babys room even though I do not think there is any in there. I finally got the nerve to look at the box spring (mattress is in the front lawn) to see if i could see any more. I looked at a fold in the corner and I saw a super super tiny goldish bug. Which is probably a bedbug.

Against all rules, I am sleeping in another room. On a blow up bed. Where I am located bedbugs are unheard of and an exterminator is coming saturday to do the entire complex. At first I thought I was not responsible to get this looked at. But people are saying I am.

If need be, who do I contact for legal advise? I am in cape breton canada. I think, to the best of my knowledge this place is the first recorded place of these things. Also, a neighbor that is super infested. I looked with their permission. Close too 50-60 adults under the mattress alone and they are not moving out, the landlord decided not to kick them out because she is not sure where they came from but they are not bothering to throw anything out! and they have a 10 month old bit to hell. I am calling social services on them come monday. Not just for bed bugs, their place was disgusting.

I am buying an entire case of rubbing achohol. I heard that works. I know that I will take all steps to rid this apartment of them. But I fear that the other tenants will not. My infestation is minimal compared to theirs. ANd I think pest control might not be fully trained for this

What legal rights do I have? Who can I contact? What should I do in regards to the other apartments? I think I am going to move out, but moving is a headache in itself

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 20:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Contacting social services seems like a good idea in relation to the infested neighbor.

Are you renting or do you own your home?

If you are renting, you should seek out a tenants' advice organization in your area. No one should be giving legal advice anonymously over the internet even if they're equipped to, and since laws vary depending on city/province/etc., it's unlikely anyone would even know the correct answers.

If you own your home, you should probably consult a lawyer and/or legal aid advice service.

Finally, 91% rubbing alcohol can kill bed bugs. However, it does so on contact only -- you see a bed bug, you spray it, it does.

It does not have a residual effect and using it liberally is not likely to help though it will make your home flammable and you may even have potentially hazardous levels of fumes.

If you're hiring a pro, please don't try to self-treat in this way (beyond spraying the odd bug if you see it, to kill it directly). You may even sabotage the pro's efforts by washing the much more effective pesticides away.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 23:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

^^ thanks for the reply and you enlightened me on a few things. I am going insane. I rent, I just moved in here in feb. I am also buying a steam cleaner and was going to go all crazy with it as soon as the fumigator was done. But, if I do that it would remove the treatment. I know people cannot give random legal advise, but what I was asking was to find out who I can talk too about this. But I think my landlord will split the bill with me. so instead of 500$ it will be 250$ which I can manage. easier to do this then fight with her over it. Money is not the issue, I would pay $10,000. I do not care. I just want them gone. More bites showed up today at work, but I read that the bites are allergic reactions and can take a week or a few days to show up. I am a little more stable then yesterday, but not by much.

My main concern is the other apartments!!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 23:24:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: the CBC wrote this a few years ago:

In Nova Scotia, Halifax doesn't have clear-cut legislation for dealing with bedbugs. Responsibility for extermination falls upon the tenant if a landlord can prove a tenant brought the bugs in. The Halifax agency has found that landlords often foot the bill as it's difficult to prove there were no bugs before a tenant moves in. Tenants are advised to write a letter to a landlord asking to deal with the problem within a reasonable timeframe. If the landlord refuses, a hearing can be conducted in front of the officer of residential tenancies.

They also suggest contacting local tenant-landlord agencies to find out more. (For example, the info. above is heavily tilted towards Halifax. Rules may differ in Cape Breton.)

Here's the link for Canadian landlord-tenant agencies. It doesn't list info. in your area, but a call to one of the agencies listed might help you find the nearest source of tenants' advice for Cape Breton residents.

10. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 0:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

^^ ok thanks. What are the reactions to a hand held steam cleaner. When I came home from work I breathed on a specific spot I thought I saw one for about 45 seconds, when I returned 15 mins later there was a bedbug on the bed butnot in that area. I flushed it. I blasted the box spring with a handheld steam cleaner. Because it is only small im not sure i killed 100% if any, but i made sure to get extremely close in some areas. Will that force them out of the box spring? Either from the warmth of it , or to get out because it was too hot?

This is a nightmare. This site is fantastic tho, is there a donation button? I would like to give my thanks, not only for the support, but for the wealth of information in regards to this issue. Oh, and I also found your google a d s of interest as well.

What a catastrophe

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 0:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BedBugBlogger,

A handheld steam cleaner may be hot enough to kill bed bugs. (Our FAQ on steam explains how to test it, and also gives suggestions for technique and links to further resources you should check out.)

However, a typical steamer creates much more dampness than the more expensive dry vapor steamers (which, unfortunately, start at about $300). Dampness can lead to mold problems. Dry vapor steamers still leave behind some wetness but not nearly as much as normal steamers, in my understanding.

Steam can work well for treating other parts of the room, too, and is often used by professionals or DIYers and allowed to dry thoroughly before pesticides and/or dusts are applied.

Treating with steam on top of your PCO's work, again, would be a problem no matter what kind of steamer you use, as it would probably wash away the pesticides. It might also make them airborne. The steam FAQ recommends a respirator mask because even household paint and other normal materials can be problematic if you steam the surfaces.

Thanks for your kind words -- I am glad we can be of help. To answer your question, I used to have an Amazon tip jar, but they discontinued the service. I don't have a donation button now as it is not possible to be anonymous via PayPal right now and I have not found alternative solutions. We do have the Useful Stuff page and the Amazon banner at right and purchases made through these affiliate ads do help a lot to keep the site going.

12. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 0:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

actually it is possible to be anonymous via paypal. It is only not anonymous if you give back the donation. You have the option to hide your email address in the button, and when it is sent they cannot check the history of email, only the website and the content you provide as a header. But, if for whatever reason you give back the donation it would show your email.

You could always create an @ domain email. None of your personal address is shown. Look into the paypal options. I had a paypal account for 10 years. It is possible. You can even add emails to an existing account

I would rather mold 10 times over, 100 times over then this mess. I will do anything and everything to get these guys out of my home.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 0:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks -- I will look into that further!

As for mold, be careful -- it can be very harmful to health.

If you can get a professional in, that's going to be your best bet. Try to save samples in a pill jar or zipper bag, as you may need to produce them later.

14. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 0:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

^^ Yeah, please do look into that. This site is an asset to the community. I found it on google. And I am not worried about samples, once they do the other persons apartment they will have all the samples they want. Based on all the research and reading this site, other posts and just reading reading reading. I think I caught my infestation in its infancy, unless they are hiding all in the bed. I am not taking the chance with clothing, they will all be washed but this issue I think was limited to maybe the other furniture and the bed. with everything thrown out except for the box spring I think I eliminated 80% of the problem

I physically saw 7 so far. 6 on the mattress I threw out, and one fecal trail about 8 inches long. the fecal matter was not really anywhere else. The box spring, that I am at war with have very small splotches of fecal matter in 3 or 4 spots. I think i saw a super super tiny baby and one bedbug in the 4th trimester or whatever after breathing on it. None on the hardwood floor or the dressers, and no casings. no eggs. There could be more, but I think my problem I think would be the easiest to fix

Still mind blowing tho. I feel more calm and relaxed now. I had to take some 'medicine' to help with that so I could start eating again.

15. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 17:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

ok so the exterminator came and I have a lot of information. First, my electronics are safe. I just put them in a bag for convenience. He was not wearing a hazmat suit like I imagined. It was just a tshirt and shorts. He did my place first. the first out of four apartments. Mine ended up being the most 'ready'. I tore this place apart and threw out about 2200$ worth of things.

the only thing left in my master bedroom was a blue empty drawer, and the box spring. He sprayed the entire floor, ripped the bottom of the boxspring, the light cloth and sprayed in there, all the frame and the top and bottom of the box spring. and the closet. After that he just went around every room and sprayed around the the baseboards

I was not really 'infected' they just showed up and started too infect and I caught them in time based on everything i showed him, and told him. He said I probably started off with one, and it got up to about 15-20, maybe less then that. maybe 10. There was very little of anything left in the room. No casings, no bugs that he could see, no larva either.

They just traveled from another apartment. Out of the 4 apartments there was one where he saw 12 live bugs under the mattress alone. He estimated between what he saw there was a couple hundred easy kicking around the apartment. and probably a ton of eggs.

The second apartment, the one I originally mentioned he could not really find any, but the place was not prepped right and their [expletive deleted] was all over the place. He sprayed the apartment, and the bed but left their belongings because there was a huge pile of clothes and [expletive deleted]. These were the ones with the baby

They got kicked out, but left the mattress, and the furniture there. I offered to help clean the place up tommorow for the landlord because out of all of us involved I am the most educated with these pests. I told them to get me an old pair of shoes, socks, a painters suit, gloves, a mask and duct tape.

The fumigator is coming back in 3 weeks. I am also letting the other tenant know, the one that never got kicked out that if he does not take care of this like I am, and they come back I will take him to civil court for all the expenses. I do not mind paying for the expenses this time around, but not next time

This is not over with yet, but so far this has cost me.2700$. I ended up paying to get my apartment done. which was only 250$. I also bought box spring covers and mattress covers (bed bug certified, from the exterminator). which combined cost me 120$. I also bought them coffee for my frantic calling a few days earlier. They understood and get that all the time. Apparently there are bedbugs in this area, but just not that many. I am about the 15th case so far this year.

My area is a tourist attraction. That is how they got here. Also, I am lucky because I never gave them a chance to spread or nest out. I caught them in time. Best guess is I had them for about 3 weeks or so. The rest had them for months.

The landlord lost her mind on the one that did not get kicked out and told him to clean all of it up. And he better, because if I have to go through this [expletive deleted] again I will not be a happy camper. But at least I am more educated. What a, scary overwhelming situation.

When this is all said and done, I will not forget about this place. I will educate myself more, give better constructive posts and help others that go through what I went through. Although they are only bugs, the name, the background, the look, the way they spread, how bastardy they are to get rid of makes it one overwhelming experience for first timers.

On a side note, I found a group of silverfish living near my tub where something was leaking. I just laughed and sprayed them with rubbing alcohol.

This website is an asset. I am glad it exists. When I get back on my feet a little I will be sure to donate to whoever runs this. Even if they do not have a public paypal set up, I will send it via mail, or money order or whatever they want. I am still upset, but I want to express my extreme gratitude for the professional atmosphere here, and the educational links. If it was not for this organized site, I probably would have done more then thrown out all my stuff. I would have burned this place to the ground in a frightened panic.

The war is not over, but thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714