I have bedbugs AND fleas.

(5 posts)
  1. tweakerangel

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 12:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all... I'm a NYC college student living in an apartment in Brooklyn. I first found out I had bedbugs around mid-December. Since then we've been treated 3x at 2 week intervals with Bedlam Plus by a (not so great) PCO chosen by our landlord. Have been taking all the necessary precautions prescribed by all the great folks on this site. Myself and my 2 roommates (who have not been in the apt since before the first treatment) were all non-reactors, but last week I got my first "bite" on my hip - not itchy but distinct and now turning into a purple scar. The last treatment was nearly a month ago. I know skin reaction is not a positive ID, but also found fecal stains on my wooden bed frame that I believe to be new.

Different PCO returns from same company returns today and is very, very rude to me, which in itself was demoralizing. I asked him about the HUGE cracks that are in my baseboards and wooden floors and he told me that *I* brought the bedbugs in myself, and that bedbugs would not live in cracks. He then proceeded to literally yell that I had somehow failed to follow their (extremely minimal) instructions, even though I have not.

Then he goes to roommate's room (which has been unoccupied since this process began) and finds dead fleas on the window sill. He says they can't treat for bedbugs today because we also have fleas and a separate treatment for them will be necessary (which must be approved by my building mgmt). I looked up Bedlam Plus and saw it also kills fleas, but they will not treat for both at the same time. (Note: we have no pets, but I know you can still get fleas). I'm so confused and depressed. How did the PCO not notice the fleas during the first THREE treatments?

I'm really looking for support more than anything. I'm a broke college student graduating in a few months and the stress of that + this has been overwhelming. For the past month and a half, I was alone dealing with this as both my roommates returned to their parent's houses in the suburbs. Now finding out we have (or had?) fleas too. It's heartbreaking. I am so sad, even though I try my best to stay positive. I barely have enough money to pay to keep doing my laundry. I'm starting therapy at my college this Tuesday but still feeling so sad.

My lease is up at the end of May, hoping maybe if the problems can't be fixed now, I can save up money for a Vikane or heated truck.

Any comfort anyone would give would be amazing.

2. tweakerangel

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 12:44:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Also for what it's worth - they also checked the apartment next to mine today and said it was clear of bedbugs. I don't think my building will pay to get other units above or below inspected, but at least I know the problem hasn't spread along my hall

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 13:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You've not found any live activity, they're right in not treating if there's no live activity.
    Can bed bugs live in cracks in the floor/wall/etc... certainly, but that's not their first choice. Like anything else they prefer to be close to their food source, until all of the good spaces are used up I wouldn't focus on cracks.
    You could drive to Toronto for breakfast, but chances are that's just not your ritual.

4. tweakerangel

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 13:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

You mean live activity for the bedbugs right? Though I suppose it applies to treatment for both, but fleas weren't on my radar til now

BigDummy - 37 minutes ago  » 
    You've not found any live activity, they're right in not treating if there's no live activity.
    Can bed bugs live in cracks in the floor/wall/etc... certainly, but that's not their first choice. Like anything else they prefer to be close to their food source, until all of the good spaces are used up I wouldn't focus on cracks.
    You could drive to Toronto for breakfast, but chances are that's just not your ritual.

5. tweakerangel

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 13:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Also ~ trying not to over react, I've just had issues with a lot of mis-information and fearmongering with this company so far and it was upsetting to have the new guy from the same company get so angry at me today

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina