I found two bedbugs. PCO found no activity. HELP in the windy city

(9 posts)
  1. fireshouldfixthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 19:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I started experience bumps/hives/bites on my leg and arm. At first, I had explanations for what could be causing them. Then I got them on my wrist, and had no explanation. Of course, I started to internet search and bed bugs came up as a possibility. After work last Friday, I came home and searched my apartment. I found a bed bug behind my bed (on the floor close to the wall), and I found another one on my couch. I live in a studio, so the couch and bed are right next to each other, separated by a nightstand. I immediately contacted my apartment company, and they had someone come a couple days ago, on Tuesday. I hadn't cleaned out of fear of getting rid of any evidence. I bagged my sheets and purchased mattress and box spring encasements. I figured since my sheets are a dark purple, I wouldn't be able to see anything, and it would be easier with the white encasements. To which, currently, there are no spots of any sort showing up on the encasements. He inspeceted many things in my apartment and found no activity. He said he wouldn't think I had them if I hadn't kept the ones I found and showed him. I'm trying to get them to come and check again next week, but they only will if my management company says its ok. I still had new marks on my arm when I woke up this morning. I'm so afraid they wont come and recheck, and I don't know what to do. I haven't even slept with sheets on my bed for a week now. I keep desperately searching for more bed bugs so I prove they are still here. I'm slowly losing my sanity.

2. riley123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 20:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Fire - Don't panic! You did all the right things. Have you considered getting climp up interceptors to put under your bed frame legs? Part of getting rid of your anxiety is to provide a "safe" haven for you on the bed when you sleep. Do you have any bedding, or bed skirts that touch the ground? Do you have curtains behind the bed? Try to isolate your bed by about 4 or so inches from anything else. Also, some people do get bites right after treatment as it takes some time to kill the bb's especially if your exterminator is using products that have a residual (killing) effect.

Keep the faith and post if you need support or an internet shoulder to cry on! It will get better!

3. fireshouldfixthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 20:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

They haven't done any treatments. And they wont unless they find actual activity. The same time I put the encasements on my mattress and box spring, i made DIY interceptor cups because I couldn't find any anywhere. I used different size food storage bowls and talc powder. I also moved my bed away from touching anything. No bedding is even on my bed to be touching the floor. I'm too paranoid to sleep with bedding on my bed. It's also just a wall behind my bed, and i don't have a headboard. My fear is that they wont come back and reinspect my apartment.

4. riley123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 21:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Fire - Sorry - just assumed that once you showed them the evidence (dead or alive) they would treat. That is crazy. Where do you live? Most PCO's will accept dead bb's as evidence to treat. I know I kept mine and that's how I got treated, since there wasn't any evidence of live activity.

I am hoping an expert here will come and advise you. Most don't recommend DYI - although we all have to acknowledge that not everyone can pay for services themselves. I personally used Bedlam Plus which I got on Amazon. And then put down Cimexa.

But, my place is bigger than yours...and I did get an expert in...

How big is your apartment building?

I am sure someone with much more knowledge than I will come by to comment...

In the meantime...try to keep it in perspective...they are just bugs (ok disgusting) but they don't have a brain as big as yours! So you are way smarter!

5. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 21:05:03
    #

Login to Send PM

fireshouldfixthis - 1 hour ago  » 
    He said he wouldn't think I had them if I hadn't kept the ones I found and showed him. .

Can you post pictures of what you found?

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  6. fireshouldfixthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 22:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

My apartment building has about 35 studios in it. They are each around 450 sq ft apartments. And I live in Chicago.

20150903_213624 by Miss J, on Flickr

20150903_213530 by Miss J, on Flickr

20150903_213304 by Miss J, on Flickr

7. blindsidedbybugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 22:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

You say you put encasements on your mattress and box spring. When he inspected, did you guys open up the encasements? I'm just wondering if it's possible you sealed up their main harborage when you did that. I finally found mine living in a loose seam on the underside of my box spring.

8. fireshouldfixthis

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 5:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

He didn't check the box spring. He only took the encasement off the mattress because I pushed him to. I found it odd that he didn't want to take the encasement off and check.

I got the short end of the stick that day. He was supposed to come between 9 and 11. Then they said there was a mix up and it would be between 1 and 3. Then they said after 5. And he didn't get to my place until 7. I sat, anxiously, for 9 hours and waited. He had already been working 12 hours when he showed up and was visibly exhausted.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 6:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You can also place folded up washcloths (preferably pale-colored) at the edges of the room or at the legs of the bed and sofa to be used as potential harborage sites. You just have to unfold to find them. You can rub these on your body to make more attractive. Worn socks also are attractive compared to fresh, clean ones. Fan-folded (1/2 inch) construction paper (again, pale-colored) can also be potential harborage areas. You can staple one end and paper clip the other. These will fit between mattress and box spring. You can put double-sided tape on one side and it will stay on the headboard or vertical legs. Corrugated cardboard is a prime material to become infested, so you can place some small squares of it in places. P Bello suggests this cardboard one.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982