I found one now I am freaked and clueless, sort of

(12 posts)
  1. paranoidtothemax

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 0:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Wednesday night I was up way past my bed time, cleaning up my kitchen and as I went to lock the front door to go to bed, out of the corner of my eye I saw a little bug crawling on my couch. Walked over to it and knew immediately what it was (what I think it is) - got a Kleenex and put it in a Ziploc bag. If I hadn't have caught the bug I never would have thought I have bed bugs-no bites/skins/other bugs. Thursday, after reading online that I am obligated to tell my landlord, I wrote him a note telling him what happened and asking for an extermination. He called me back that evening and his advice was to not worry about since there is no other evidence that I have a problem - more bugs/bites. Yeah, right. I am terrified of bugs and it has gotten worse as I have gotten older. Why would I wait until I have a problem, when I have found one in my home?!? So, I told him no I want it fixed/prevented and he said it is his policy to pay half and use a specific company. I have looked that company up online and they seem to be reputable and so they are coming in the afternoon today to do a free inspection. I am still so confused and just overwhelmed by this process. My thoughts are is it possible to just have the one? I think it is male from what I have seen/read, but I don't know how old. My apartment is small, but I have SOOOO MUCH STUFF. I am a college student, and messy at that, my clothes live on the floor of my room which has me freaked. I have books and books, papers upon papers, all of it exposed on the floor, or on low bookshelves. My shoes are usually scattered on the floor. I have a roommate who fortunately has practically no belongings here (all at home). My couch is BRAND NEW, not even two months old. What am I supposed to do with it all? I have to dry all my clothes for over an hour on high? I dress nice and that will destroy some of my clothes, they can't handle it. My couch is the only seating I have in my apartment and I have not sat on it since finding the bug; I am about to have a breakdown just anticipating what is to come, my roommate however is all "what's the big deal?" I was supposed to go home for the holidays on Saturday, but I have stayed to take care of this and it has me me really sad, angry, freaked, overwhelmed. What should I expect?

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 1:37:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paranoid,
    Sorry that you're going through this. If you can post a picture of the bug you caught, one of the experts here can ID it for you. Hopefully, it's not a bedbug and you're stressing unnecessarily.

If it turns out to be a bedbug, you've caught it early.

3. Killshot

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 1:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello paranoidtothemax,

First I would calm down until you recieve a conformation that your bug is indeed a Bed Bug. After a conformation(yes or no) you can then determine your next move. Your preventitive approach against BB's during these times is truly understanding, but you must not let the hype take you over the edge. Do you have a way to post a few pictures of the bug that you've bagged? If so, this forum has many trained eyes that could maybe help ID your Bug.

Hope this Helps,
    SEP

4. paranoidtothemax

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 1:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This may sound silly, but I cannot figure out how to share the photo. I put it in my snapfish account.

5. paranoidtothemax

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 1:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahh, figured it out I think...PICTURE

6. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 2:35:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats a bed bug.

Read up on how to check for bedbug harborages in the Faq. One probably means more, or more eggs.

Whats your living situation? Roommates, apartment building? It could be a lone hitch hiker, but I would not take the chance. When the inspector gets there ask him for prep instructions.

7. Killshot

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 3:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello paranoidtothemax,

I'm sorry, but bushbugg is 100% correct on his ID of your Bug. My first reactive step would be to stop any items and/or belongings from exiting and/or entering your apartment. Then I would contact and explain to the roomate about what has just been discovered. I would begin by bagging the bedding linens, then separate the dry cleaning items(Expensive) from the basic(SAFE) wash/dry items, placing them in separate bags. Next I would begin cleaning and organizing the apartment(inspecting as you clean). This would be the start of preparing for Bed Bug treatment process. When your inspector arrives to your apartment tomorrow you should ask him for guided instructions on what you can do next.

Truly Sorry & Good Luck,
    SEP

8. paranoidtothemax

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 14:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I am the kind of person who likes to get a lot of opinions on things, and so while I will ask the inspector, I also want to ask them here. If I am supposed to ask this elsewhere, please let me know.

How exactly do I inspect shoes? I am cleaning/organizing my room for the inspector, because honestly at this points it looks like a 13 year old boy lives in it. I have a pile of shoes on the floor and I went to put one on and stopped to look at them and realized, I don't know what I am doing. Everyone talks about how they are hard to find since they are excellent at hiding, so is this like microscopic work? Or can I see the "stuff" I am looking for with the naked eye?

Cleaning my books and school papers and folders means going through every single page of every book? How time consuming is this? I already called off work today and plan to wash/dry clean every item of clothing I own after the inspector arrives.

9. paranoidtothemax

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 14:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, the inspector just came, looked at the bug said yes it is a bedbug and it is an adult. He looked at the coach with a really bright, white flash light, looked at my bed and my roommates bed, looked at the ceiling corners and said everything was clean. My couch is like I said, two months old, and my bed is a few years old and white so he said the furniture would be really easy to spot something on and he is positive there is nothing here, not even eggs. He said it's likely a hitchhiker who wanted to make this his new home. He told me for piece of mind I can buy the climb up interceptors or encasements and I can look around at my mattress and coach specifically since that is where I found it, but I probably won't find anything. The good thing he said is that my couch was made in a way that it would be easy to spot them, told me two places to look. He also said that they can sense when you are near and that is when they become active, so check after I been sitting for an hour or two, especially late at night. So long story short, keep my eye, but the inspector gave us a clean bill of health. I can't help but still be leery of finding just the one....

10. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 19:08:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hitch-hikers happen. Looking good for you so far.

11. Killshot

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 20:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey paranoidtothemax,

Cheers for you on receiving a clean inspection!

I would continue to maintain a visual awareness, especially around you and your roomates sleeping areas.
    Good Luck!!

Thanks,
    SEP

12. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 21:48:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You may still want to invest in climbups or a passive moniter on your bed. If its a hitchhiker from within the building, there may be more.

If you know your neighbors, you may also inform them that you found one, were inspected and given a clean bill, but to be on the look out for strange bugs. Ideally, this is a team effort to erradicate them from the building and keep them out!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316