I found ONE!!!!!

(10 posts)
  1. Tina232

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 13:06:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so i have not been bit for about a week or longer and last night i seen it. It was stuck in a plastic box/container. I know its a bed bug i just know it. I read up on them and it looks exactly like what they say. I haven't been able to do the dog yet, I want to soo badly but me and my bf have to save up for it. It might take a bit. But i am going to do it. I am going to get a exterminator to come take a look at the bug just to confirm thats its a bed bug he says he will do it for free.You know before i seen it (bug)i was always hoping that maybe we didn't have bedbugs even though deep down i knew but when i finally seen one ewwwwwwww it just gave me this funny feeling to think that those ugly things are crawling on us. I have not been bit for awhile, i actually tried the vaseline thing and since then no bites but my son has got a few. Not many but a few. I think maybe its cause he always jumps on the floor for bedtime and falls asleep on the floor with his stuffies(we do put him back in bed though but he just loves the floor :)). I am still going to save for the dog but for now i can only stick with what i got. Me and my bf are in a tight tight money situation right now so i'm hoping once hes hired on again that we can take care of these damn pests.Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

2. lynnee82

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 17:50:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you are having to join us in the bb fight. It is an awful feeling thinking of them crawling on you. I wanted to ask if you live in an apt. Many landlords are responsible for paying for treatment.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 19:12:48
    #

Login to Send PM

This is going to sound strange but congratulations on finding one. Why on earth would I congratulate you on that? Well, having found a bug means that getting proper treatment should be easier. Plenty of people here get bitten and can't find bugs and then have to pay for a bed bug detection dog in order to get treatment started.

Make sure to keep that specimen where you can use it for proof of infestation. Plenty of people here, myself included, caught the bugs as samples and then used clear tape to stick the bugs to a card or piece of paper and sealed that up in a ziplock so the evidence couldn't get away.

I don't remember your previous posts, but if you live somewhere where landlords are required to pay, and you rent, you could get treatment started as soon as possible without needing to hire a bed bug detection dog. Apologies if you've posted about particulars that mean that you can't, but it sounds like good news to me. Hang on to that sample, and hang in there.

4. JimmyChanga

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 21:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

If you found a bedbug already, then you most likely don't need to hire a detection dog. A PCO can identify and make sure it is a BB. After that point, a BB dog would be redundant (and expensive).

5. hatesbedbugs

Banned

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 15:41:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Jimmy is correct. A dog would be a waste of money. It will only confirm, what you already know.

If you have a vacuum with an extension wand that allows you to do furniture take a used nylon stocking and put it 6 inches deep in the fist stage of the wand leaving the rest to over lap over the outside of the wand. Then connect the second stage.The nylon will serve as t quick filter. Vacuum in your sons room. Then disconnect the wand sections where the nylon filter is, over a deep glass dish. Bang the wand on the bowl and then remove the nylon in to the dish to see if you caught any bed bugs.

Make sure that none of your blankets drop over the bed on to the floor at night.

If that is not possible put him in a sleeping bag.

Gary Broberg
    Bed Bug Dog Inspections LLC

6. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 16:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Tina, the sleeping may not be a good idea since your son is under three yrs old. It may be a bit more wise to use a smaller blanket (crib size) if you are not already doing so. I have read that some parents have used safety pins to pin the bottom corners of the blanket to the fitted sheet. Depending on your son's "creativity" that may not be a good idea either. When we were going through our infestation that was a battle for us as well, but my oldest was a good sleeper and seldom did the small blanket end on the floor. Toddlers can be a big challenge exploring their little world. A sleeping bag to keep blankets off the floor is a good idea, but I feel it can be a safety issue with an exploring/adventurous toddler.

7. Tina232

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 20:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey. I'm so so so disappointed with myself. I lost it. I lost the bug I'm really upset about that cause i wanted to hold on to it for proof but it got away. My grandpa wanted me to take it to his house to show him it and so i put it on the able in a container and was getting my jacket on and stuff and when i came back the container was gone. I don't know maybe one of the cats knocked it over. Now i don't know what to do. I was glad (in a way that we found one since that would be our proof but now its gone. I'm in a really bad mood now. I hope i catch atleast one. Anyways i know what it was but now the exterminator probly won't do our home untill he sees one. Hmmm. Oh and about my son sleeping. He sleeps in a toddler bed with smaller blankets for toddlers. he just jumps on the floor sometimes so we are always putting him back into bed. Anyways i'm sorry that i let the bug get away. I'm very disappointed with myself.

8. JimmyChanga

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 23:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in the beginning stages of an infestation, when you're not sure what to do and you're stressed out and nervous.

Get some of those new Climbup monitors and see if you can catch any that way. Also, have you looked in your mattress, headboard, and other typical areas? Perhaps you can find a spot where a few are nesting?

Next time you catch one, be sure to put it in a ziplock bag. I would put it in two ziplock bags, then put that in a glass jar w/ a screw top... just to be extra extra sure.

9. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 10:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Tina, I agree with JImmy, don't be so hard on yourself! I have dropped stuff I wanted to examine and spent endless time looking for it. This whole experience drains all our emotional reserves, forgive yourself, and keep your chin up. You will catch one, and you will win this war...hang in there!!!!

10. Tina232

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 10 2009 18:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanx for everyones advice. I'm going to try to catch one wish me luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus