i dont know what to do right now

(9 posts)
  1. ToWar

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2012 23:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

after three weeks of the treatment including using DE for those weeks, buying encasements and washing everything I found another bed bug three weeks later. Today. On my Pillow, 15 minutes ago.

i am at my witts ends. I can not afford another mattress and i'm debating if I should move though i'm worried I can't afford it if i can't afford a mattress

I can not mentally afford this.

I've already started seeing a therapist for personal problems and now in my first argument/serious chat with my boyfriend. I've been crying constantly for the last 4 weeks.

My neighbor below me got infected recently and fumigated two weeks after my treatment and i still had d.e. all over my apt till tuesday when i rented a shopvac.

I don't really react to it but on tuesday morning I did wake up with 4 bites on my left leg. I had left my window open so I thought that maybe it.

i don't know what my next option would be. sister wants me to bug bomb our apt with foggers but i heard those are inefficient

.i didn't see the signs on my encasement! i was looking for it every day the past couple of weeks!!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 7 2012 3:28:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ToWar,

Sorry you found another bed bug. (I'm assuming you're sure on that but just in case you're not 100% sure, you can post an image for ID).

It sounds like you got one professional treatment 3-4 weeks ago. What did the PCO use? (You said "fumigation" but this word is commonly misapplied to spray/dust treatments. Technically, it refers to treatment with a gas, which would be a one-shot deal but is fairly uncommon and pricey.)

I understand you did a heavy application of DE after the professional treatment. While it might seem like more DE is more effective, that's probably not so. We're told straight DE takes 10 days to kill bed bugs that walk over it.

So you have to understand that every bed bug in your home that survived your one professional treatment has not necessarily had a reason or chance to cross the DE. If the DE is heavily applied, it might even have deterred them from walking across it. If they did walk across it, those who have crossed may still be dying. However, it's not that effective as a sole treatment. There's certainly no reason to assume 3 weeks of DE will kill off all your remaining bugs (and we don't know how many survived the PCO treatment).

Whatever the professional did may have been quite helpful but most professional treatments need to be repeated one or more times at about 10-14 day intervals. This doesn't mean the pro failed. It's the nature of the beast-- some bed bugs and eggs often survive and so the repeat treatments aim at getting those that remain.

If you can get an experienced pro in again, you should. If you can't for financial reasons, please don't use foggers and don't just use DE. Self-treatment can work, but DE alone isn't going to be that efficient. At least one PMP on this forum, P Bello, will advise on self-treatment.

Foggers not only have been shown in recent research to not eliminate bed bugs, but they may possibly spread them around your home.

Are you a tenant? If so, it may be the landlord's responsibility to treat, and they should be coordinating treatment of affected units-- especially attached ones like you and the neighbor.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. ToWar

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 7 2012 23:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello.

I have no idea what they used. All I know is that they sprayed our mattresses, box springs, couch (which still doesn't have signs) and my sister's foam comforter. They also had us unscrew our electrical outlets.

I left the D.E. on four three weeks, I thought that was long enough. I asked my landlord to ask what they used but I didn't get a reply. I'm switching to a different PCO. I don't trust the PCO that my landlord has on hand just because I have a feeling that they have a relationship because they are cheap. 200$

My landlord says that the first treatment is free but after that we have to pay it ourselves.

My encasements haven't torn so I think it's safe to assume they never left or came from the apt below me.

I know not to use foggers, I did my research and told my sister we have to get a professional.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 7 2012 23:52:25
    #

Login to Send PM

DE can be left down indefinitely if applied lightly to cracks and crevices only but there's no guarantee it will kill them all and certainly not within a certain time frame.

You might want to verify the local laws regarding pest control in rental units as it's not unheard of for landlords to tell tenants they have fewer responsibilities than they do. If you PM me your location I can try to help you figure it out; local tenants' organizations can usually tell you also.

5. ToWar

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 0:24:57
    #

Login to Send PM

i live in los angeles california.

I still have d.e. that I vacuumed up (they are in plastic bags) and I'm wondering if I should open it and use a cup and apply it to all the walls. I live in an old apartment and the walls don't touch the carpet.

I don't want a lawsuit against my landlord (we are actually good friends now) but if it comes to it then maybe.

I remember when she first told me though when i first informed her of the bed bugs.

We can fumigate you the first time for free but afterwards it's your responsibility if you need more fumigations. It's your fault that you have bed bugs.

well the quote isn't EXACTLY what she said but it's pretty much along those lines.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 1:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

This recent NBC report notes that the Dept of Environmental Health in LA investigates bed bug complaints by sending an inspector within three days after reporting bed bugs. If they verify the complaint, it sounds like they can force landlords to eliminate the problem:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Bed-Bugs-Renters-Have-Rights-171640341.html

Dept of Environmental Health:

Note this LA Public Health brochure may be helpful:
    http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/docs/BedBugSBPresentation.pdf

On the last page, it states,

Building management didn’t respond to your bed bug complaint?
    Environmental Health Emergency Hot Line
    (888)700-9995

7. ToWar

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 2:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

it's not that they didn't respond though. They did spray us but they said if the problem persists it's up to us. Am I suppose to call the EHEL Hot Line?

I'm having an inspector/pco come tomorrow for an evauation and see what other precautions I can take.

it's so annoying about the clothing thing/blankets, though it's understandable. Me and my sister have a lot of clothing. We already ruined our clothing and most of my clothes are still bagged.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 2:13:15
    #

Login to Send PM

ToWar - 36 seconds ago  » 
    it's not that they didn't respond though. They did spray us but they said if the problem persists it's up to us. Am I suppose to call the EHEL Hot Line?
    I'm having an inspector/pco come tomorrow for an evauation and see what other precautions I can take.
    it's so annoying about the clothing thing/blankets, though it's understandable. Me and my sister have a lot of clothing. We already ruined our clothing and most of my clothes are still bagged.

Hiring a PCO to inspect may help you confirm there's a problem, but won't do anything to help get the landlord to treat further.

I am not in LA, not a lawyer or a tenants' rights expert. That said, my understanding from the NBC piece was that LA environmental health probably would not agree with your landlord's interpretation of your rights. So getting an inspector in to confirm -- assuming they can confirm via an inspection-- should allow them to force the landlord to solve the problem.

I am not seeing anything that suggests the legal position is that LA landlords need to "treat once". I am suggesting maybe you don't want to take his word for it and instead call Environmental Health.

A health inspector would need to see evidence. If you catch any more bugs, save them.

I would not self-treat further with DE, especially if you're hoping to get a professional in. Let them do their job and ask if you should supplement their treatment and how. If they're doing a good job and following up, it should probably not be necessary.

If you ever do end up applying DE again, please read our FAQ and maybe some of the manuals in the Comprehensive Guides section of our Resources page. It sounds like it was previously overapplied and perhaps also applied in the wrong areas.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 13 2012 2:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

How are things going, ToWar?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,442 posts in 46,577 topics over 142 months by 20,543 of 21,407 members. Latest: karthikc, Chick, Jay11690