I do some things as part of my job but today was almost the last straw

(15 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 14:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Last week I had a call from someone at the end of the day who wanted to talk about bedbug prevention while on holiday and what steps to take. As I recall the conversation lasted an hour or so but so often that I do is complex technical diagnostic on the phone to look at risks and probabilities.

At the end of the conversation she asked what would I do if I was a hotel. I explained we work very differently with hotels and have developed a ProActive approach based on early detection to stop issues escalating and spreading out of control. It is based on our Passive Monitor technology but what makes it work is the procedures and training that we package alongside it through a process manual that literally covers everything from guest management letters to logs and standard operating procedures (if you think what I post here is thorough well my systems are legendary amongst my clients but I cant post them here for many reasons).

It was then that she explained that she does run a small hotel, in fact a lovely hotel, nice setting, lovely clean rooms, great facilities and caring staff. But sadly they have been enduring a BB nightmare in one of their best rooms. It had been treated twice and they were worried there may still be an issue.

I had it in the diary for today as I was up that way seeing friends on the Sunday (its a good 150 miles from where I live) and it would give me a chance to stay over and tackle the job first thing, start at 10am and away by 1pm was the target having screened, installed and dealt with any issues.

The only room that had an issue was the one that had been treated twice. The local pest controller had done a half decent job from what I could see knocking out maybe 99% of the issue. However my spidey sense was on overdrive mode and I found 2 in the first 5 minutes of searching and then another 2 after 20 minutes of working my way through the bed.

A little work with the Cimex eradicator and a few minutes of sparing use of aerosol DE and then the nightmare happened.

I was asked "would I mind putting an encasement on the bed?"

My heart dropped, as much as I loved the hotelier and they really were lovely people to work with and stay with I froze in shock. I looked over for some moral support to my faithful Robin (the BB Undertaker) and for the first time in many years she was also speechless and both wide mouthed and eyed.

They asked again "would you be OK with encasing the bed?"

I carried on thinking and said "well as long as you understand that they are not essential, and that if ever asked you can confirm I never provided it to you".

They agreed.

As I unwrapped it they all declare the ones they had at home were a pain to put on the mattress. However in a deftly feat of dexterity I simple unzipped it all the way, dropped it on the head end of the mattress and pulled it snug to the floor. It was then lowered from vertical to the horizontal leaving a foot hanging over the foot of the bed to zipper it closed and fiddle with the magic fastening device.

We made it look professional but inside something in me died. No longer would I ever be able to say I have not used one of those "wiffle bags". I felt sullied and dirty, in not a good 50 shades kind of way that cheap way like an apple newton when you mates have ipads.

I had to make amends by using the steamer to remove the divots in the carpet left by the heavy bed being in the wrong place during treatment.

I am hereby throwing myself at the mercy of the bedbugger community to hear my confession and absolve me of this wrong doing. With the witty ridicule and humiliation that I deserve, I have broken my ten year record but I promise at all casts I never want to feel like that again.

I hope you all say a little prayer for my soul tonight.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  2. Canuck

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 15:06:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh David, how far the mighty fall. I thought I heard and felt a large, reverberating thud throughout bedbugger land earlier today. Tis indeed a hard hit.

To lend a Canadian helping hand, a quick reference check list for the 12-step program follows.

Step 1: Honesty I see you have begin in earnest on this step with this post. Good for you.
    Step 2: Hope &
    Step 3: Faith - I am sure you will pull yourself up by the bootstraps (granted they are pretty big boots), and hope and faith will provide support.
    Step 4: Courage - Lean extra hard on BB Undertaker (she will want make-up for her lapse as well) for extra courage
    Step 5: Integrity &
    Step 6: Willingness - Your immense integrity will help save you as will your willingness to help
    Step 7: Humility - Do watch out for step, can be a bit tricky.
    Step 8: Compassion &
    Step 9: Love - I am sure all of the bedbugger community will help with compassion and love.
    Step 10: Perserverance - And I will personally check in-person with your progress in October in Boston.
    Step 11: Spiritual Awareness - seek solace with a professional
    Step 12: Service - you are lucky to have this forum to continue helping the bed bug misguided and misinformed, here in bedbugger land. Helping others will provide solace. (He can still continue nobugsonme, right? You have faith in him, right? No ID blocking, you promise?)

One step at a time, one day at a time. You are in our thoughts. All the best, Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 15:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's because I have been running the forums for a while, but I can kind of see a newbite falling into this thread and panicking because their PCO used an encasement, or they bought one.

So, for those folks: don't freak out. David does not believe in encasements. (And it's worth noting that he works in the UK where beds are designed differently and don't have US style box springs.)

Others do believe in them and use them. You can read some of the pros and cons in the FAQ on encasements. But please don't let this thread alarm you.

As for David, I am curious how many beds you treated before events took this shocking turn?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 15:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 minutes ago  » 
    As for David, I am curious how many beds you treated before events took this shocking turn?

OMG I would hate to think what that number is, total cases is close to 23,000 , my personal total is about half that. If we assume an average of 2 beds per case although I would be more comfortable with 1.5 it's between 17,250 and 23,000 mattresses.

As our host correctly states UK bed design is very different than US and over 50% of them you cant use base encasements on because of the design. I can see some advantage in a cost effective base encasement but mattress encasement is not something that I would have ever envisaged me doing.

I am tempted to tape my jars of colonies to my back and wear them for a few hours of purgatory in the hope that the medieval blood letting ritual will cleanse me. I think its a cold shower and a pumice stone for me when I get home.

Although I have to say my bank balance would be a lot better if I took the 20 pieces of silver on that volume of encasements (only joking, you know my morals exclude such antics, I almost felt guilty accepting a free room last night, although a full English breakfast set me up nicely for the hard work later).

I suppose I should not really beat myself up with such an impressive batting average but I am keen not to make a habit of it.

David

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 16:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

. . . we pick up on a dire situation in our story fans . . .

(cue eary music as dialog begins)

Lou: What's up, you don't look so good?

PB: I think I've felt a tremor in the force. Like a million souls had screamed out but there was nothing I could do . . .

Lou: That's curious, I thought I felt something as well.

BG: Look sir, droids.

PB: You don't need to see our papers . . .

BG: I don't need to see your papers.

Lou: These are not the droids your looking for . . .

BG: These are not the droids we're looking for.

KQ: You are free to go on your way.

BG: You are free to go on your way.

6. Bedbug_Undertaker

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 16:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I still can't find the words to explain how disappointed I am in myself for assisting you !!

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 16:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

. . . our story takes a dark turn . . .

PB: It's OK BBU, we need to understand the dark side of the force to reach our full potential as a Jedi

BBU: Yes, I shall learn from this day.

. . . to be continued . . .

8. Bedbug_Undertaker

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 16:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Phewww

9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 16:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

lol .... You are officially an imposter!!

I can't stand to even look at you now. Let me know if you want a job running my popcorn machine.

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 17:04:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have real butter or that movie fake butter canola corn oil stuff?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 17:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Do you have real butter or that movie fake butter canola corn oil stuff?

I don't know but it was salty after my last visit.

12. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 5:17:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Ego te absolvo. Go in peace & serve the lunch.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 7:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner - 2 hours ago  » 
    Ego te absolvo. Go in peace & serve the lunch.

Or, charge the lunch to David James. I hear that works for some people.

14. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 9:30:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Dupe. Derp.

15. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 9:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago
    Or, charge the lunch to David James. I hear that works for some people.

I thought that only worked for clowns.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970