I could use some advice...

(6 posts)
  1. impurfection

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 1:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

So prior to moving into my apartment while signing the lease, the lady told me how they inspect the units so if there is a bed bug problem I brought it with me. That I suppose should have been a red flag.

Now I moved into my apartment mid Oct 2012. At the time I was working nights and one evening I saw what now I believe to be a bed bug on the side of my bed. This was before I was being bitten and just thought it was a random bug so I through it out thinking no big deal. I did not start seeing strange bites on me until 2 days after I came back from being out of town for 2 and a half weeks.
    It started with a few on both lower legs and two on one arm. As the week progressed a new one would pop up. On my legs they were smaller red itchy bumps but on my arms they were always bigger and would seem to get bigger if I scratched it. One was nearly the size of a quarter on my arm! What really freaked me out is I had two on my neck and one on my forehead.

So after searching online, I called my apartment to get an exterminator to check it out. The man that showed up didn't do much of anything except place two sticky pads under my bed and quickly check with a flashlight around my bedframe. I also, out of paranoia, bought two bed bug allergen bed cases and put both my mattress and bed frame in them. I was okay for a week when I noticed another bite on my neck and a day or so later I had a crap load scattered on my one arm.

Mind you guys, I attempted to check my mattress and bed frame myself to no avail. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but all I know is I've never seen a bug, no fecal matter, no blood smirs, nothing. I saw a dr and was told I had hives. The tiny red bumps on my arm over the course of a few hours grew larger and larger until they merged into larger red itchy bumps it looked horrible.

The exterminator came back a few days ago to check out the sticky pads and today I'm handed a letter from my apartment claiming they found an adult bed bug on one of those sticky pads and instructions on what I should do.

The biggest issue I have currently is in my building there are about 5 other apartments and I was told they are only treating my one unit and blamed me for bringing the bed bugs with me. I know for a fact I did not have bed bugs or any issues in my prior residence but I was in 3 different airports with my luggage before I returned home. I can post pictures of my arms if need be I just need some suggestions.

Has anything similar to this happened to anyone?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 7:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear impur,

Some comments for your review and consideration:

(Note that we are making certain assumptions herein.)

> We assume that the facts are as indicated above and that you've never had a bed bug problem prior to this nor in your prior residence.

> As per your post, it appears it was a metter of just weeks before you began to experience bed bug problems at this apartment.

> It is possible that there was a pre-existing bed bug problem at this apartment when you moved in and that you, being the new entre of the day and by virtue of your presence, have drawn bed bugs from their hidden harborages.

> There are a number of reasons that this is possible including but not limited to control efforts conducted prior to your arrival, bed bugs intrusion from neighboring units, etc.

So, what to do, what to do; hmmmmmm . . .

! ! ! Note that the items below do NOT constitute legal advise and I am NOT an attorney ! ! !

* Prepare a historical log that indicates dates, times, locations, occurences, communications & individual's names. Include all pertinent facts.

* Reduce all communications to writing.

* Decide if you're up for and committed to the good fight or not. And, if not, get yourself mentally prepared for it just in case.

* Decide exactly what YOU want/what remedies are acceptable to YOU:

# Do you love lingin at this location or are you ready for another move?
    # Do you trust this LL to do the right thing or not?
    # Do you trust this LL and their hired pro to be able to successfully remediate the current bed bug situation or not?
    # Are their suitable regulations/statutes present in your location that will support you as a tennant/resident?
    # And many other questions/concerns . . .

Lest we forget, at the end of the day bed bugs do what bed bugs do ! There is no magic and there is no escaping the truth which eventually finds its way to the surface in these situations even though some folks need to be dragged kicking and screaming toward the proper path.

All this said, perhaps it's time to prepare a concise, well written and simply stated point by point communication to your current LL or property manager about this situation which indiactes in an objective fashion the facts, what remedies you seek, when you expect any actions to have been completed by and what you will be doing to assure such actions take place.

Remember that anything YOU decide to do in your situation is YOUR DECISION and only YOU can act to protect YOU best.

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. buggingoutinthemidwest

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 8:20:41
    #

Login to Send PM

No advice, just some sympathy. My apartment is getting its fourth spray today, while the unit on my floor where there was an infested piece of furniture in the fall remains untreated. I think I might need to start to seriously think about moving as the landlord and I don't seem to be making all that much progress on the talking about the issue front.

4. impurfection

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 22:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Now if there was a bed bug problem prior to me moving in, why would the LL just be tackling my apartment and not the other 5 residents who reside in my building? Because if they spray, what is stopping them from going to my neighbors or visa versa.

And so much for having some peace of mind with the special stupid bed bug mattress protectors I bought I have a total of 6 bites on me now... 4 from yesterday and 2 more that showed up a little while ago.

And if you were the move out, wouldn't you be worried the suckers would just follow you?

5. Koebner

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 22:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Look at the Resources page; http://bedbugger.com/links/
    There may be something relevant to where you live. It may be that your landlord isn't complying with local requirements re BBs.

Regardless, Paul's list of points to consider is the best place to start - the question at this point really is "Should I stay or should I go?" - & his advice to keep communication with your LL strictly to written media is very sensible. Ditto the bite diaries, etc.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2013 23:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear impur,

There's no telling why the LL is taking just treating your unit. And, since based upon the information you provided it appears that there was a pre-existing condition in your unit that was not disclosed to you then, simply stated, we're more interested in protecting you and resolving your situation than trying to figure out your LL's actions or lack thereof at this point in time.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto