Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

I could be making myself crazy.

(6 posts)
  1. CrazyMe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 19 2009 8:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I never actually seen a live bug, or a dead bug. I think I -may- have seen an egg case once (before vacuuming) but I'm not sure. The apartment was inspected once and then treated once by a PCO (about a week ago) and a 2nd check/treatment tomorrow is due.

So I've had conflicting evidence. The building super said he accompanied PCO on initial inspection--super said he didn't see anything, PCO said they only saw 1 bug. (Weird, huh?--who to believe?)

I initially had what I thought were little bites (3 on my feet and 4 on my hands over the course of a month) --I'm guessing now I either had a very mild reaction to a very mild infestation or maybe it was something else. I also have extremely allergic skin and get hives and dermatitis from just abuot anything.

Fast forward 1 week after treatment. I washed and bagged all clothing, encased mattress and box spring, isolate bed, I check mattress and box spring religiously for any life form...and nothing.

SO, I wake up this morning and notice 2 or 3 tiny, itty bitty pinpricks within an inch on my inner arm. I'm beginning to wonder now if I'm just slowly losing my head. Could these be bites or could these just be an allergic reaction to whatever or just nothing? The little pin pricks looked more like a tiny tiny pimple and I didn't actual see a red center. No Itching.

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 19 2009 11:20:41
    #

Login to Send PM

If there were eggs that hatched during the interim, you would expect the "babies" to cross the pesticide and die, but I am told it's not instantaneous, so it's possible that they were able to bite you before they die(d). Can you be there tomorrow when the PCO comes? Then you can talk to him and find out what he used etc.

3. CrazyMe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 19 2009 12:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks MWF, =)

I'll see if I can stick around tomorrow when the PCO comes. I tried to contact my landlord to get a time, but she's not following up with me. Oh well.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 19 2009 17:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just a note on the point about meeting your PCO. I appreciate it is something that can take time and time off work in the current climate is more difficult than it should be. But making that extra effort can really help educate you about bed bugs. By watching them inspect you are actually learning how to do it yourself.

My company has a simple rule, we make appointments with occupants and at least one MUST be present. Ideally we do request all occupants to be there but this can be hard with a lot of shared houses. In our case this is because we really only want a client the once, that goes equally for inspection only visits as treatment visits. Repeat offenders often get a personal visit from myself to make sure that they clearly understand the need to be bed bug aware and the value of monthly self inspections and always checking a bed away from home.

You will also be able to see first hand what evidence is there and get an idea of how long you should expect to be before you are free from the problem.

Don't forget to make them a drink at the end of working while they go through the details with you. Its often a much needed rehydration for them as well as a way to make sure they go through things slowly (I am always a sucker for freshly brewed coffee and will chew your ear off for good espresso) .

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 19 2009 18:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Just reiterating what David said, from the point of view of a client, not a professional.

The only reason that I actually feel confident inspecting hotel rooms now is that before the thermal treatment, the chemical PCO went through a full inspection of my suitcase (that I was taking on the trip I was leaving for that day) with me.

Being able to hold up a small thing and say "Is this an egg?" with an expert right there to say "No, it would be about 1/3 that size and would be a lighter color," along with seeing clear dead bugs and eggs after treatment (along with recalibrating myself my looking at the pics posted here for identification) is something that no video or prep sheet in the world can really do as good a job as interacting with a PCO.

So much about identification when it comes to bed bugs is about fear and doubt and uncertainty, and being able to be led through that process by an expert PCO makes a huge difference.

6. CrazyMe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed May 20 2009 9:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, thank you all for the kind words and support. Unfortunately I couldn't get a time from my landlord when they PCO would come today. And being that I have an intensely busy day (two meetings) I couldn't take the entire day off. That said, I called my landlord and she kindly said that she'd get the super to accompany the PCO today--and make sure they do a thorough job. If I find any future evidence, and I need a third treatment, I'll definitely be there when they treat.

I must admit how tough this is mentally. My SO thinks I'm overreacting, and asked me last night if I planned on living out of plastic bags until I'm 80. I had to ensure him that there would be light at the end of the tunnel--and probably in 55 days (what I've read here) I'd be able to de-bag. At first I thought he was giving me a hard time. In retrospect, I do think that I -may- have overreacted a bit, but better safe than sorry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls