Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

I can't live out of contractor bags anymore!!

(6 posts)
  1. grossbedbug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 11:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

At what point can you safely put away your clothes back into drawers and do your laundry normally and put things away where they are supposed to go- in a closet, drawer, etc.!

I still have BB's- today we have tx number 2 from our PCO (3 in total every 2 weeks) - we still have them- but I cant take grabbing and searching for clothes in bags! I need some organization!!!

Has anyone bought the zip bags for your drawers? Is that what people are doing to maintain some normalcy?? What about a zip up bed bug protective hamper you can put dirty clothes away in- instead of a ridiculous contractor bag?? Please send me links of any products to buy- I have spent a fortune on these bugs already- might as well continue until I start to feel some semblancy of organization and normalcy!

Thanks for your help.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 11:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you're right not to unbag the stuff completely.

BugZip (there's a blue banner on the lower right sidebar on this page)* sells "drawer liners" which might help.

They are designed to be put in a drawer when you travel. But you could use them at home. I tested them and the zipper worked for a long time.

Caveats: the zipper end stop may have a small, non-airtight gap. It's covered by plastic. IMO bed bugs are probably not going to go out of their way to get inside. But it is not as secure as a Ziploc.

They are not huge, but would work for folded clothing in a drawer. If/when the zipper eventually wears out, you'd need to replace it.

Another option would be smaller ziploc bags in drawers.

*(Disclaimer: if you buy from US Bed Bugs via the BugZip ad, it helps support the running of this site at no cost to you.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BugBoy911

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 18:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

If you went threw your bedroom thoroughly with a flashlight threw all cracks and crevices, had at least 2 real treatments from a real PCO, and he/she said your ok... honestly... Bedbugs just do not like being far from you.... They don't want to go into your cloths and into your closets... They wana stay right next to you.. cuddled up like your your little kitten or puppy, as close as possible. Just imagine if your were that small and had no wings... you would have to stay close to eat right!? Just search your bed area thoroughly and have a professional come in a really treat that place correctly with a series of pesticides with long residual effects to prevent any attack or hatching of new nymphs or baby bedbugs.... Living out of bags after the second treatment IMO is just completely unnecessary and makes living so much more difficult. Bedbugs do not like to live in your cloths as much as your wooden boxspring, furniture, and baseboards, picture frames and what have you.... They don't like it as much.... and would prefer to stay in a tight crease somewhere close to you..... Throw away the bags after you had a professional come in and inspect and treat that place 2 times..... Unless your situation is just amazingly infested with thousands of bedbugs in multiple locations throughout your place... which i feel is highly unlikely.... Its time to fill those bags up with garbage and recycle them lol....

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 19:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Gross: if you choose to continue living with bags, I'd suggest you go with smaller bags and make "one day kits". Like the clear plastic bags that the food stores on a roll in the produce section. Put one day's stuff in one (or two) of these bags, squeeze out sine air and knot the bag shut. You can do this with towels, as well. When you're ready to use, just break open. If you want to go the reusable route, you can go with the L size ziplocs instead of XL or XXL.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 1:27:16
    #

Login to Send PM

BugBoy911 - 1 day ago  » 
    Living out of bags after the second treatment IMO is just completely unnecessary and makes living so much more difficult. Bedbugs do not like to live in your cloths as much as your wooden boxspring, furniture, and baseboards, picture frames and what have you.... They don't like it as much.... and would prefer to stay in a tight crease somewhere close to you..... Throw away the bags after you had a professional come in and inspect and treat that place 2 times.....

I don't agree, BugBoy911.

The OP just had her second treatment. She has a third scheduled, she said.

A lot of homes take more than two treatments to eliminate bed bugs. Putting washed/dried clothing back immediately after the second treatment (only 2 weeks after treatment started, and with another treatment planned already) is premature in my opinion.

I would keep it in ziplocs (daily bags as Cilecto notes can be easier to deal with) or -- since the poster asked -- BugZip would be almost as secure and more convenient.

6. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 8:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a treatment earlier this year, thought they were gone, unbagged in March, and the bugs came back (probably were in the bags from not heat-treating well enough???). Had a Phantom treatment at the end of March, did NOT re-bag, and they were gone for 100 days solid.

They're back now and I am wondering if I need to bag again... seemed counter-productive the first time, and is such a huge hassle.

I'm also wondering if the "extermination" is really more a move to keep them at bay for a while. 3 months bug free was a blessing, and I admit I could live with quarterly treatments if that's what it takes to live bug-free 98% of the time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982