Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

I can't believe I signed a lease here; bed bugs forever?

(9 posts)
  1. notmebutmaybe

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 11:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm new here- hello!

To give you some background, my boyfriend and I love New York City's West Village. It has old charm, old buildings, and Washington Square Park. We saw a place with cheap-ish rent, a good sized bed room, and kind of the dirty city charm you can love. We jumped on it and rolled our eyes when we we presented with a notification in our lease that bed bugs had been in our building throughout the last year. It was smoothed over and we enjoyed our first week.

SUNDAY: We just moved- literally moved in May 5. We've gotten to know our neighbors, but oops I never checked HPD online (nyc complaints) for the building. So, late night on Sunday I read that the building has had two complaints in separate units within the year regarding bed bugs. One was across the hall from us.

I am panicked now.

MONDAY: I call the super- I demand more details. I asked, was our unit infested? He tells me yes, 9 months ago. Freaking AWESOME. I ask, "when was the last time the building had an infestation?". He tells me, "oh, the unit upstairs and diagonal from you was treated 2 and a half months ago and we treated your unit, too". Okay, okay I breathe. I hop online see what we can do- see what options we have. I find these little buggers travel fast. Damnit, I'm panicked again.

I scour the apartment and find two dead bed bugs.

Now, I'm frenzied with panic- we just put clothes in the drawers. I go out and buy an encasement, I start scratching and then I see my arms start to get two tiny welts. I see my super taking the garbage out downstairs- I show him my mysterious new scratches. He freaks- we get an exterminator to check my unit the next morning.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY: Exterminator comes and says, "you're good". I demand it's not enough this is too much we need a dog. I also wasn't present for inspection so now I email management, letting them know I NEED TO BE PRESENT for INSPECTION. Panic, panic, panic. I talk to a co-worker who had BB she says, girl if the dog doesn't find them- you'll be okay. I feel better but it still doesn't feel right.

THURSDAY: They get a sniffing dog, the dog also says you're good.

HOWEVER, down the hall- they found the little guys (apparently "unhatched" eggs) in the radiator. I AM LIVID. I JUST MOVED HERE. I went out last night to celebrate the fact that the exterminator and dog, Jack told us we were home free- plus I need a drink from this debacle and our stupidity in signing a lease here.

FYI: management told me that this was the only thing they found and while I was home I listened in when the dog and super went into every unit and they came out clean from the ones they entered. I wasn't around the whole time but the super is panicked so I suspect he did a bunch of units.

My superintendent, at 10pm, sends me an email "yeah, I had bites last week- we did a prelim spray with an exterminator but now we will service the whole unit and do the garbage room downstairs even though we didn't find anything."

Okay that was nice. But- dude, am I SAFE? I'm going to Home Depot to get DE, caulk to seal the hell hole unit. I want to break our lease but my boyfriend loves this place but man this is actual hell. I can't sleep or eat. Can someone please give me some advice- I have called exterminators just to get opinions and I am so scared that I won't be able to enjoy my year here.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 14:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm doubtful on the radiator down the hall, could have been a false positive from the dog or bad ID, but unless it's near a food source it no place to find eggs.

It sounds like you're in a good place with management on top of things, especially if they sprung for a dog. Relax.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. notmebutmaybe

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 15:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your comment, I don't mean to sound like a whining human- just a bit concerned!

The more I talk about the more people are saying, "don't worry" which is assuring.

Is this a normal thing you face living in new york? Or is my building PARTICULARLY infected?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 17:12:14
    #

Login to Send PM

notmebutmaybe - 5 hours ago  » 
    Okay that was nice. But- dude, am I SAFE? I'm going to Home Depot to get DE, caulk to seal the hell hole unit. I want to break our lease but my boyfriend loves this place but man this is actual hell. I can't sleep or eat. Can someone please give me some advice- I have called exterminators just to get opinions and I am so scared that I won't be able to enjoy my year here.

I would use CimeXa dust and not DE. Do you know the company that serviced and the K9 detection company? The tenant before you left because of bed bugs?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. notmebutmaybe

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 17:18:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi loubugs,

I do know the exterminating service company and called them to make sure they were certified. They are. As for the K9 company...well, when the k9 was there I heard the guy say they were outsourced. AKA the company I know is legit hired this K9 service from a company I don't know of.

That upsets me but, what am I to do? My management is footing the bill and I don't know if I can afford to get another inspection. I will start to drive my boyfriend away.

I'm unsure of why the tenant left before us but I do know that the tenant who lived across the hall left in a scurry about 12 months ago because of what was happening..

I feel like I'm losing hope again

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 17:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It's common to outsource the dogs. That's a ten thousand dollar animal whose services you may or may not believe in.

7. notmebutmaybe

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 17:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, we just installed this bed today.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00372788/

My boyfriend loves it and bought it but it's probably a bed bug's safe haven. Should I seal up any lose spots and put CimeXa underneath the bed? It will be a losing battle trying to get him to return it..he already said I am letting this ruin everything.

I feel defeated.

8. notmebutmaybe

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 18 2018 17:40:16
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 17 minutes ago  » 
    It's common to outsource the dogs. That's a ten thousand dollar animal whose services you may or may not believe in.

Okay, sounds good. This is my first bed bug situation so any knowledge helps!

The internet is proving to be a bit of a dark wormhole.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat May 19 2018 9:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

notmebutmaybe - 15 hours ago  » 
    Also, we just installed this bed today.

NORDLI bed frame is more than a comfortable bed. It’s also a storage unit with 6 spacious drawers. A practical solution for clothes, extra comforters and sweet dreams – all in a small space.

My boyfriend loves it and bought it but it's probably a bed bug's safe haven. Should I seal up any lose spots and put CimeXa underneath the bed? It will be a losing battle trying to get him to return it..he already said I am letting this ruin everything.
    I feel defeated.

Yes. It is a problem being that it is with storage units within. You have to treat within the frame and in the drawers. Objects and clothing in the drawers will become harborage areas. You can store items in large ziplock storage bags, but still is a problem with the frame and drawers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,660 posts in 44,814 topics over 137 months by 19,670 of 20,375 members. Latest: Aryn, JASM, Tashagene