I am truly at a loss - need advice about "dormancy"

(6 posts)
  1. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2012 14:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a small infestation a year ago . No sign for 9 months. Then one pops up, another 2weeks after, then a total of four I have found 1 year later all flat unfed adults. They are always found by the baseboard in kitchen and common area. I'm in a condo/small place. No bites, signs in climb ups or any found in bedroom. I had my PCO continue to spray my baseboards every other month for a year and now I'm beginning ot think it made the situation worse and instead, they either went dormant or hide away under my wood flooring. I don't see any signs of neighbor issues. I read they can live for 18 months so the only possibility I can think of is although a host was available (me), spraying kept them from coming out until now, now that they are starving. Psycholigically, I can't deal anymore so any input would be great.

2. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2012 16:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you spoken with your neighbors or your condo board? Could they be coming in from someone else's apartment? Or, are you in an environment every day that you could be bringing them home from?

3. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2012 9:17:09
    #

Login to Send PM

What I was thinking was any fed adults may have gotten under our laminate floors/baseboards and escaped treatment. I continued to have my place treated for regular pest control. I don't know if that kept them in hiding. If they were adult fed bbs, maybe it why now they are resurfacing. All of them are unfed, very flat, slow moving, if not dying (one was barely moving, upside down) and I have found 1 every 2-3 weeks over the course of the last 2 months but. The only place I'm finding them are in the room where we did not replace the baseboard or floors. We completely redid our other rooms so basically, the ones i'm finding them in, is the one room we did not rip apart.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2012 9:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Changed your title slightly to make it clear what the question is about.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. freakout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2012 11:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I keep reading about how if there's a host they won't go dormant but what if these were fully fed? Maybe through all the treatment I had, they just remained under my wood floors? I have 3 full major treatments followed by regular pest treatment every other month including the PCO spraying my baseboards with what's they spray to keep typical bugs out.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 15 2012 13:54:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is no such thing as dormancy in bedbugs if there is a source of food available, if they can detect it they will seek it out.

I would follow the sound advice of discussing the issue with any and all adjoining neighbours and if they are clear I would look into what other potential local sources you have in your life.

Even if laminate flooring is laid mid infestation they usually start to reappear within a few weeks and certainly not months later.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,899 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186