I am loosing my mind!

(4 posts)
  1. BigAppleCrawler

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 11:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. I live with my wife in a coop in NYC. Thankfully a clean one and I myself am OCD.

I work in a hospital and my wife in a school.

I swiffer the floor every day and am a bit of a neat freak.

Lately I feel I'm loosing my mind. I hear a friend treated a patient with bed bugs a few months ago and since then I said to myself... well we live in NYC and in a coop apartment so there is a high chance we have them. My OCD mind decided to set glue traps in various locations around the house - just little flies and a spider or two. Thankfully we have white bed sheets and white covers - from time to time I find a red blood stain and now think I squish a bed bug at night... even though I tend to scratch from dry skin.... My wife thinks I'm loosing it.... I actually think I am loosing it now... thus I needed to write something here to get help and hear peoples opinions. I might be going a bit mad. Now I started opening electrical outlets to see if there are any poop marks around inside. I did spot some light dark circle spots in a rather wide pattern near an outlet that has a night light in it but to me it was not bedbug related (maybe fies or just dirt) but my mind wanted to say "Yes it is, it has to be bedbugs." It seemed wide spread and easily came off with a mr clean sponge. I never found exoskeletons etc. Yesterday when I was on one of my crazy hunts I decided that I did not clean under the couch for a while. so I moved it and started cleaning like a maniac. I inspect every swiffer on a white paper towel to see if I catch something that looks bedbug related. At one point a little bug ran out that was dark brown and maybe quarter of an inch to a half an inch long - I sadly squished it - unable to ID it afterwards.... I again said to myself... you see... you do have them - that must have been one and now you will not know - you must look more!!! Today when I get home I want to flip the couch around and inspect it. My wife is getting very mad at me because I'm loosing it and using a considerable time to look for these guys. Our 11 month old has had no bites nor me and my wife - I answer it that we are all in the category of non-responsive to bedbug bites.... thats it. I need help. I seriously do. Am I loosing it? I feel paranoia is starting to settle in. I need guidance...

Has anyone experience a similar scenario?

Do I have bed bugs? or am I just starting to be crazy?

2. Pattycake

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 13:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

To give yourself peace of mind and free up your time, I suggest a passive monitor. David Cains is a good one. You can put them on your beds couch etc. I use a hand held mirror and a flash light to check mine about once a month. So far I havent found any signs. Its easy and effective. there is loads of info on hear on how to install them properly.

3. MatteoGrader

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Jul 12 2018 7:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, chill out dude. It doesn't sound like you have bed bugs. Since you haven't seen any signs of bed bugs, why are you still worried? There would have been a sign - eggshells, skin cells, poop, live or dead bed bugs, or bug bites. You've seen none of them...
    If you really want a peace of mind, you should get your home inspected by professional exterminators. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sure, bed bugs are gross and give you enough reasons to stress over them, but don't let yourself get too caught up in your worries. You're probably fine.

4. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Jul 12 2018 12:51:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Buy some climb ups and pull your bed away from the wall. I don't think you currently have bedbugs, but I do think you need some peace of mind. With climb ups you will know very early on if you ever do get them, and you won't have to drive yourself or your wife crazy in the meantime. Climb ups are rather cheap, and are very easy to check when you feel anxious, rather than searching your entire apartment. If there are bedbugs in your home they WILL try to feed, and they will end up in those traps. Plus, they work for any other creepy crawly things that might be around. I'll NEVER remove mine except to re-dust them. lol

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,179 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic