Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I am in a seriously bad way. Please help!

(8 posts)
  1. freakinginsane

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 21:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been nurturing a BB phobia for a couple years now. Last October my husband and I were treated for scabies, and I do believe that it was the problem. My husband had the bites, and after our treatment I showed some similar red dots. A few months later I found red dots in perfectly straight rows. Each row was near my navel. I insisted we do the treatment again. More of these lines of "bites" appeared. None were itchy. I convinced myself it was "post-scabies syndrome"

Well now we are both seeing bites in many places on our bodies, and they do swell and they do itch. The bites look just like the ones on the internet. My husband has a whole bunch of bites on one knee. What else could it be but BBs? I can't find a bedbug, but just taped my bed and all four posts with double sided tape and I ordered those climb up traps. I found one carpet beetle in my desperate search for bugs, but I know that's not what's biting us. I did find one insect a few weeks ago that looked exactly like a rodent/bird mite. I am so convinced I have bb I can't think of anything else.

I have really completely lost my mind. Can anyone help me?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 15 2013 22:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Freakinginsane,

Please, please, please try to calm down.

You ask “What else could it be but BBs?”

This is a post from one of the pros on the forum that might answer that question:

NorthEast - 2 months ago  » 
    This is in response to the questions "what other things could bite me when I sleep?" I thought I would post this to give other ideas about bites and rashes:
    FOUR CATEGORIES OF BITES, RASHES OR ITCHING
    Category One: Explicit Organisms
    Fleas
    Stinging Hymenoptera
    Ticks
    Lice
    Biting Flies
    Venomous Arachnids
    Category Two: Obscure Organisms
    Itch Mites
    Mange Mites
    House Dust Mites
    Bird Mites
    Rodent Mites
    Bat Mites
    Follicle Mites
    Chigger Mites
    Food Infesting Mites: Furniture mite, Straw itch mite, Grain mite, Scaly grain mite, Dried fruit mite, Sugar mite, Mushroom mite, Cheese mite, Mold mite
    Protozoans
    Pinworms
    Hookworms
    Bed Bugs
    Bat Bugs
    Conenose (kissing) Bugs
    Psocids
    Springtails
    Thrips
    Clover mites
    Caterpillars
    Centipedes
    Insect Parts
    Dermestid Beetle Larvae
    Category Three: Illusions of Parasitosis
    Allergic Dermatitis
    Temperature Change
    Dry Skin
    Static electricity
    Paper Mites
    Tight Building Syndrome
    Cosmetics
    Perfumes
    Detergents
    Synthetic Fibers
    Dirty Carpets
    New and Old A/C Filters
    Category Four: Delusions of Parasitosis and True Psychological Problems
    Stress
    Conflict
    Anxiety
    Monosymptomatic Hypochondriacal Psychosis
    Psychodermatological Syndromes
    Paranoid Dementia
    Involutionary Melancholia
    Entomophobia
    Bell’s Syndrome

So it could be many things. It is summer time and more pests are out and about!

I – like you – freak out over bed bugs, and even the mere thought of bed bugs. And when I thought I might have them, I totally panicked.

If you have been “nurturing a BB phobia for a couple of years” then hopefully you have done some research. If not, this site is an amazing wealth of information! Start by reading the FAQs:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/faqs-about-bed-bugs-for-bedbugger-forum-users

Also, because you are concerned about bites, please read this:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

If you truly believe it could be bed bugs, then please find a competent PCO in your area and get an inspection. A lot of times an experienced pro can find evidence and/or bed bugs when other can’t. At this point, however, we do not know if it is bed bugs or not.

Please take a deep breath. . . hold it . . . let it out . . . now say out loud “People get bed bugs, people get rid of bed bugs. IF I have bed bugs, I will get rid of them!” Repeat as needed.

3. freakinginsane

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 7:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

THANK YOU! Thank you for that list! We live in a wooded area and yes we're getting lots of bites. My problem was made worse because I sent a picture of the straight line of "bites" to an exterminator, and when he came to my house (about 3 months ago) he said, "you have bed bugs. I'm sorry, but you have them." I cannot get rid of that conversation in my head. When he didn't find any bugs, he continued to insist they're hiding somewhere and we haven't found them. I've never had a phobia or OCD before, but now I know just how awful those disorders are for people.

The straight lines of red dots are very perplexing. Like I said I decided it was post-scabies. I figured the mites crawled onto me via my steel key hook that I clip to my waist every day. I touch it with my hand several times a day. I thought it could even be contact dermatitis. The most recent episode, I was out of town and felt a "crawling" sensation on my torso, just below where my bra ends, right in the middle. I lifted my shirt and saw nothing at all, completely clean, smooth, unbitten skin. The next day, when I got out of the shower, there were 2 red lines.

I can post pics here, but I don't know how....

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 8:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good morning Freakinginsane . . . I hope you got some sleep last night!

freakinginsane - 12 minutes ago  » 
    My problem was made worse because I sent a picture of the straight line of "bites" to an exterminator, and when he came to my house (about 3 months ago) he said, "you have bed bugs. I'm sorry, but you have them." I cannot get rid of that conversation in my head. When he didn't find any bugs, he continued to insist they're hiding somewhere and we haven't found them.

Alrighty then . . .first, no one – not even a doctor – can tell you based on bites if you have bed bugs. I have read on here that a doctor can tell you, if they perform a test, if the bite was caused by an insect, but not which insect.

Therefore, I really don't think an exterminator can tell you based on a picture of bites that you have bed bugs . . . especially after performing an inspection and not finding anything!

Also, if you believe you have had bed bugs for three months, you should definitely start being able to see signs . . .fecal traces, shed/cast skins, live bugs.

The straight lines of red dots are very perplexing.

Bed bugs can bite in "lines" (or what seems like a line) but "bites" in lines don't necessarily mean bed bugs.

I can post pics here, but I don't know how....

Ok, here's the instructions on how to post a photo for future reference. But please don't post a picture of your bites. No one on the forum can tell you if you do or don't have bed bugs based on bites. Please post a picture if you want an ID of any evidence you may find (not bites).

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

Also, I saw that you said you are waiting for some "climb up" monitors. . . there are also some passive monitors called PackTite Passive Bed Bug Monitors that you put on your bed that help you monitor for bed bugs. Not to be used together with the climb ups, but another option out there for you.

Good luck, keep searching and/or get another inspection since so much time has elapsed!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 8:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It was not scabies.

The scabies mite has a very specific home on humans,'namely webbing of fingers, mouth and in some cases groin / arm pits.

As pointed out above there are lots of potential causes for reactions and its always best to ID and confirm before you try to kill anything.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. freakinginsane

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 8:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, thank you so much for your responses. As for the "not scabies" well.....they can go around the waist and that's where most of the marks have been found. I am a researcher and share lab coats-where we put our hands in pockets right by the waist-with my students (not sharing coats anymore, mind you!). They could climb onto my body at the waist, which would be the easiest place to travel. I could have also contracted some other contagious skin infection, but antifungals didn't work.

In addition to my bedbug fears, I've become an expert at scabies infections! Unfortunately I cannot pin down what is happening to us.

How long to bed bug bites persist, on average? These new bite rashes that we have are lasting up to 2 weeks.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 8:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you can find a reference on scabies inhabiting the waist please share it. I have seen many cases over the years, hands are most common, mouth is rare and am yet to see groin out of about 100 cases.

It is even generally thought by the medical profession that they can't survive off the body for even a few seconds but case history means we know what is not the case.

It's best to try and keep an open mind and collate all the symptoms and see what they match but I can assure you it will not be bedbugs.

David

8. freakinginsane

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 0:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I can't thank you enough!

Here's a ref: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=(scabies)%20AND%20waist

This is from only an abstract after a quick search on pubmed. I don't have access to the whole article so I can't get the scientific reference. Sorry!

And a few websites mention the "belt-line" like here:

http://www.pcds.org.uk/clinical-guidance/scabies

But, you are correct that most infections are seen on the webbing of fingers, wrist, hands. At least that's what they say online and in the literature. My husband had scabies on one hand and wrist, and I was asymptomatic until about 2 weeks later, when I saw red spots on my wrist and webbing of my fingers. It wasn't until 6 months later these bites in lines started showing up.

again, thank you thank you thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991