I am going crazy and need to vent.

(12 posts)
  1. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 1:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had bed bugs for two weeks and am sooooo tired. I keep having the exterminators come in, well twice now and they say they are gone and within a few days I have the bites again. I am sure you all can relate but I have spent all day, every day searching everywhere online that I am almost a bed bug expert myself. Almost....... I don't know what to believe online as so many sites say different things. I don't even know if I should be using my computer to type this but it's nearly 2am and am so tired that it almost doesn't matter. Almost......
    How serious and what do people do to treat laptops? People say heat it up in an oven to 150 degrees but check the owners manual first, which I don't have. What about books? I have lots including an 120 dollar textbook that I bought just before I found out that I had bed bugs. I am falling behind in school because I haven't touched the textbooks in the two weeks that I have had bed bugs. I am trying to find work but it's a little difficult when you are covered in red spots (all over my hands and face), red eyes, big bags under my eyes from lack of sleep and I probably look perpetually panicked.
    Advice about the books, leather purses and shoes and laptops? I mean I can't really put any of them in heat can I? Thanks in advance.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 1:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear hawthorne,

Wow, that suxdotcom !

Comments for your review & consideration:

> Learn as much as you can about bed bugs. Check out the Resources tab and some of my articles there as well as other info.

> You may need to teach yourself how to inspect and hunt down bed bugs in your place.

> Viable non-chemical methodologies include: steam, heat & vaccum.

> Your books & other such items may be treated using either heat ot pest strips. If you have a storage container and a hair dryer you can place a book in there and heat treat it using a hair dryer. OR you can ourchase a pack tite ( about $300 ea) to heat treat. In any case, you need to deliver 122 F for about one minute.

I hope this helps for now as I gotta go.

There are many folks here who can and will help you !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 11:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi P Bello,

Thanks for your reply. I guess what I should have said now that I am rereading it is that when the exterminators come, they spray as well because they do find some at the time. Then they say they should be gone but the little buggers aren't. I guess I'll just have to bag everything up and get new shoes and purses as I can't afford the Packtite and I am not even sure I can get it here in Canada. I wonder about the hairdryer in a plastic bin trick. Does it really work? And what about laptops?

Thanks again as I am going a bit nuts here and I am so tired I am not even sure I can make a decision anymore.

4. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 18:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Grrrr, the PC people were supposed to come today between 3 and 5. They didn't. Landlord called and they said they'd be here by 6 and they didn't. No one seems to understand my frustration at this. Landlord says I'll call them first thing in the morning. I say I just want my life back. Landlord says me too, look how much money I've been spending. I think, I'd rather be spending the money than be the one living with bed bugs. My life has been turned upside down. I'm neurotic, anxious, exhausted, stressed out and incredibly itchy and paranoid. On top of all that I am covered in horrible red bites. I have a job interview tomorrow morning at 8am! I am going to be red eyed, exhausted and covered in bites. Great impression that is going to make. I am angry at the landlord for belittling what it's like to live with bed bugs but trying to understand as I guess I couldn't really understand what it was like before I had them either. I really do just want my life back though and wish I could be put in my landlord's place of footing the bill instead.

5. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 18 2013 18:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all again,

I am still confused with how to treat book and electronics without having access to a packtite. I have read to put the books somewhere really cold for a few weeks (below -18) but I don't have access to a deep freeze. What else can we do? I just bought all my textbooks for college just before moving into this house with bed bugs and I can't afford to buy a whole new set!

Ideas?

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 19 2013 9:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Hawthorne,

With regards to your question on how to treat books and electronics, without having access to a PackTite, here are two thread that discuss book treatment.

From what I have gathered reading the threads:

Freezer = No
    Microwave = No
    Oven = No
    Very detailed visual inspection of each page and binding and removal = yes
    Seal books in plastic bags with Nuvan strips = yes (recommended by one expert)
    Heating method page by page and binding by blow dryer in an enclosed container = possible solution.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/books-in-freezer

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/treating-bag-of-books-with-nuvan-strips

I also remember a thread where a bedbugger treated her laptop (which was definitely infested) in a sealed ziplock with the pest strips. You might want to do a search for that if you are concerned about your computer.

7. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 19 2013 11:44:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks AbsolutelyFreaking,

I have nearly everything in Ziploc bags until I decide what to do with it all. Unfortunately the landlord is sick with the flu (I live in her house with all her stuff) and she doesn't want to move all her stuff and do all her laundry until Monday or Tuesday now. I supposed I should just feel luck they are getting PC people in to treat but I am getting frustrated with sleeping on the couch (where at least I don't seem to be getting bitten) after paying rent for a bedroom.
    Anyway, does anybody know where to buy these nuvan strips in Canada?

Thanks,

Hawthorne

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 20 2013 0:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear hawthorne,

Yes, it works. I do not recommend non-viable options.

Sorry, I've been away due to family matters.

I'm tired and will try to respond asap.

thanks, pb

9. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 20 2013 13:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hawthorne - 1 day ago  » 
    Thanks AbsolutelyFreaking,
    I have nearly everything in Ziploc bags until I decide what to do with it all. Unfortunately the landlord is sick with the flu (I live in her house with all her stuff) and she doesn't want to move all her stuff and do all her laundry until Monday or Tuesday now. I supposed I should just feel luck they are getting PC people in to treat but I am getting frustrated with sleeping on the couch (where at least I don't seem to be getting bitten) after paying rent for a bedroom.
    Anyway, does anybody know where to buy these nuvan strips in Canada?
    Thanks,
    Hawthorne

Unfortunately when i was looking for them this is what i found......

NOTE

DICHLORVOS
    is an organophosphate insecticide, also known as DDVP, Dichlorophos, Dichlorovos, Astrobot, Atgard, Canogard, Dedevap, Dichlorman, Divipan. Equigard, Equigel, Estrasol, Herkol, Nogos, Task, Vapona, Verdisol, SD 1750

It is sold in the US as NUVAN ProStrips
    and used to control a broader range of insects than is permitted in Canada.

It is illegal to bring them into Canada.

so.......In canada the best i can find is the strips that hang for flies under the name Vapo no pest strips . Same company different strip from what i can tell. I am using double sided carpet tape. all other tape never caught anything. I have caught instars but never an adult (not sure if i have any adults to catch now) We are a bit more limited here. After much research i have finally found climb ups at bed bath and beyond in canada .

10. Alberta has bugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 20 2013 14:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, sorry to hear you are going through this.

For the no-pest strips go to Home Depot or Wal-Mart, there is a brand that is sold in Canada, I believe it is by "Raid"? I have bought them and they function the same as in the USA. Read the instructions though.

Freezers work in Canada for killing bugs and eggs. However read the FAQ for the time limit. The trick is not to open the freezer for the specified time if you can. Since we are a cold winter country, it is not like running a freezer at 20 C above weather at this time of year. My freezer is in the garage btw and current temp outside is minus -30c with windchill. This takes time though and is backed up in the FAQ's. I had the luxury of not opening my freezer for 3 month's as I had placed my record collection in there as well as some photo's.

It has also been suggested that laptops do not generally harbour these bugs? I will let an expert way in on this.

The one thing you can do is arm yourself with knowledge and this site has a great FAQ list of things you can try as well as "Do's" and "Don'ts".

Good luck!

11. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2013 23:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answers on where to find this stuff in Canada. I am in southern ontario and it's cold here for a few days and then warms up for a few days. The temp is not consistently low and I don't have a deep freezer.
    I am going to go to Home Depot tomorrow to see if I can find these strips. Landlord still has not dealt with anything. I am still sleeping in the living room and hoping these little buggers don't find me. So far five days in living room and no bites. I am sure it is just a matter of time though.

12. Hawthorne

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2013 15:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Also, I had my suitcases in my bedroom for the first few days that I lived here. When I finished unpacking two days into living here I moved the suitcases to the basement where I live. They've been down there for 3 weeks nearly. I suppose it's possible to have bed bugs on them still and I am thinking of changing houses since nothing seems to be being done about the bed bugs here. Can I wash the suitcases down with rubbing alcohol to give any bed bugs on them. And if so how do I go about doing that? How much alcohol for how much time.

Thanks again for your help and support forum people!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081