I am GOING crazy

(13 posts)
  1. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 9:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Tuesday my husband told me that he found a bug the night prior and killed it. He told me to check our son (just in case for lice) and to clean the sheets. I obviously searched my son and found nothing. I then went to our rooms and took the bedding off and put it in our bath tub. I Searched, and searched yet found nothing! I called the exterminator and had someone come THAT day because my husband is telling me it was definitely a bed bug. I called ORKIN and the guy came within hours. He flipped the beds, looked at sofas, searched and found nothing. He went back into my room (which was the only room to have found anything).
    We then notice a bug on the top corner of my bedroom wall and he gets and and confirms that yes, it is a bed bug. He says that it is odd that one was up there because he found no sign of an infestation. Point is that we found one and continue on for him to return the following day. This is $1100 now (and I am crying). He returns, sprays and then advises to just vacuum and clean items that were around bed. He said it wasn't necessary to clean anything else but if I really wanted to that I could.
    I get home and then start vacuuming the entire house (which is a 3 story town home) and the baseboards. This is a lot of work with a toddler as my husband was at work. I cleaned up everything except my parent's room which had larger pieces of furniture and I needed my husband's help. He begins to move things and vacuum and then we find 2 more on the wall. He vacuums them up as I exit in hysterics. That makes 4 now! 4 bugs with NO signs of anything anywhere. The next day we don't see anything until I pull the bed apart to clean everything again since now I'm going crazy. After pulling the bedding off (this is the morning) we see 1 more on the wall! That was on Thursday of last week and now it is Monday. We have seen nothing else and here is where i'm completely freaked out. After READING and SEARCHING I am concerned because our exterminator said he will be back on Wednesday which is 7 days after the 1st. He did say that if we saw anymore they would keep coming within 6 months to treat but is this okay? Please, I am a stay at home mom with an extreme dislike and fear of insects. I can barely eat anything and that is if I even EAT. If we leave our home and are about to return then my anxiety builds up tremendously. I don't want my son to play around like a normal 3 year old. Please help me!

2. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 9:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to say that my son had random bites on his hand the friday before this entire fiasco after a playdate at a friend's home. 3 days later my husband found the bug.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 9:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please have a search and read for the following:

• Bat bugs and bird bugs - close relatives and almost identical to bedbugs in appearance it takes a 30X loop to distinguish them from bedbugs
    • The FAQ's above
    • The useful tools section

I appreciate that you have a dislike for insects but the next one you see try to capture it without the use of any tape so that someone can confirm it is actually bedbugs and not a close relative.

The reason why I have focused on this one aspect is that the location of the samples int he room and the lack of faecal and cast skins would indicate more towards a close relative than to actual bedbugs. In cases of close relatives the treatment pattern and process is subtly different enough that the traditional "bedbug chemical process" will not work as efficiently as you would want it to.

A return after only 7 days is a short time frame, most experienced professionals recognise it is better to wait 14 days to take into account the life-cycle of bedbugs so that you get the maximum effect on any treatments.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. swift2cruz

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 10:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

it sounds like we are in very similar situations. actually the closest i have seen on here. i am being charged $1020, for my treatment (that i cant afford), the fisrt week i didnt eat, i didnt sleep and i was so scared for my kids. its only a matter of time before and expert gives you more info on treatment. im just letting you know bed bugs are at an all time high, its not your fault and your not alone.

i do suggest contacting more PCOs (exterminators) and get an understanding on different treatments and prices. also, dont settle for cheaper, its not always better. you should have a 90 day guarantee, and dont settle for treatment of the one room of infestation, make sure it is the whole house or they could spread and its more expensive to treat room by room than the whole house (most PCOs wont do one room anyway but i have met one that would). their are self treatment options but i have been doing that and my husband and me are going to give in and pay the exterminator.

good news for us is its in time for tax returns! (yay). and dont worry about your child, i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old (with down syndrome) and i was in the same boat of not wanting them playing or running around as normal for fear of spreading or them being bitten. but something to keep in mind is (especially in small infestations as ours are) they need to be kids and its the healthiest thing for them. i tried sending my kids away from the house but that didnt work because its flu season and they ended up sick, so im out an extra $150 i didnt have.

dont stress this to the point where the stress will cause more health problems than the bugs themselves do, for you or your child. you caught it early and you have options of treatment, but before you decide be clear headed, do your research, and try to think of the best options for you and your family. check out the FAQs here on the website, get responses from experts, and start with basic steps. try and eat and do things that may distract you to give your mind a rest, play with your child, watch tv, read a book, etc.

you can do this! good luck!

5. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 10:13:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the responses so far. The exterminator did keep the bug and asked us if we wanted it. My husband said no thank you. We don't have bats in our area and our home is not even 2 years old yet (we are 1st owners).

It's very difficult to remain normal. I'm terrified and I feel like i'm trapped in a home that I used to love. I'm going crazy trying to figure out where they came from. We recently had cousins come in from NY for a few days each and then we were at 2 different friend's homes. *sigh* I know I may end up having a panic attack. We already put the payment in for the treatments with the current exterminator.

I am VERY concerned about it being 7 days later. I don't know if I should contact him to ask why (he has been very available to answer questions and is patient). He did say that the home should be done. 3 bedrooms, our living room, and our 1st level game room (sofas on that level as well), closets, etc. He has been doing this for 8 years and was trying very hard to reassure me that it would be okay and it looked like this was the Best case scenario and needed minimal treatment. He also said that they would come back up to 6 months if we saw anything else but after 6 months to a year that they consider it as if the home was probably re-infested.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 10:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please read the FAQ's.

Some of the advice you have been given is not technically correct but reading into the subject will show you why that is the case rather than someone appearing to dissect what has been said to you line by line.

I know it may seem a lot of reading when you want immediate answers but it really helps you to make informed decisions.

David

7. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 10:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

I have read many FAQ this week and stories upon stories on this site. I contacted my exterminator to inform him about my concern about the 7 days and his response was that they return 7-10 days after 1st treatment. He also asked if I would want it pushed back to make me more comfortable. I will go back over FAQ as well. thank you.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 13:41:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Goingcrazy,
    I am not an expert like David, but my first thought was bat bugs or bird bugs. The reason is that, as David said, you're finding them in strange places with no other evidence (like fecal stains we'd expect).

The pest tech who came to your home may or may not be able to identify bird bugs or bat bugs vs bed bugs. However, there are others who can.

In the US, you can take a sample in a ziploc to a university extension office (there's a list of state universities with extension offices here; if you click the links you should get a page with links to local offices) and get the entomologist there to ID it. Lou Sorkin on our forums may be able to receive a mailed sample. And if you can take a detailed photo or a scan on a flatbed scanner, an expert may even be able to iD it here.

Perhaps it is bed bugs but getting the ID right is an important step.

Perhaps David can comment on whether bed bugs might be in such locations if an attached neighbor used a fogger?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 13:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Goingcrazy,
    Perhaps David can comment on whether bed bugs might be in such locations if an attached neighbor used a fogger?

Hi,

To confirm it would not be expected to find bedbugs in these locations in anything other than the property treated with the fogger or an OTC aerosol product.

Upon arrival in the new location the colonisation of the untreated location rapidly goes back to the "normal" (3 foot around sleeping) pattern because once they have explored the route to food they have established better places to hang out other than the ceiling wall junction.

If your behavioural strategy is part of a highly conserved behaviour it tends to remain that way if it is successful and lets face it one of the few things we can give bedbugs credit for is the fact that they are highly efficient as organisms.

Equally the behaviour of the cases of bat and bird bug I have seen are equally behaviourally conserved but you would expect that if you feed from a different species that has different behaviour. In most cases they seek harbourage in relation to the host that allows easy access and simple verification of when "food is on the table". As such they tend to wander back towards the original food source between ingresses into peoples homes.

Its the round about way for saying horses for courses and my bet is on closely related species at this stage.

David

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 3 2014 15:15:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David!

11. confusedvictim

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 5 2014 14:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you live in an attached town home? If so maybe its possible they could be coming from the adjoining unit.

12. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 17:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I had my 2nd treatment on Feb 7th and haven't seen any bugs since jan 30th. I just spoke to a relative and found that they in fact just treated for them this past week bc their friend had infested their sofa with them. I did visit her in December which means we hadn't seen anything for at least a month. With that being said, we still have NEVER seen any signs of these bugs other than the ones I stated earlier and I Think I made out a few tiny blood spots on our sheets once we found out what we were dealing with.

I found out that they had a chemical and heat treatment in their home. I told them about our situation bc I wanted to visit them but now am not so sure if I should. I am still so unsure if our situation is done. I check our bed often and my son has slept with us since we found out the issue. I see NO blood stains on our beds, I change our clothes upstairs before going to our main level. Everything still goes into hot water and then dried a ton. Our clothing is still bagged as well. My exterminator, from Orkin, said that he is confident our issue is done. I was just able to breathe a little and now I'm so upset that not only was I going thru this but a family member also bc of a friend.

Well, that's my update on my situation. Any advice or stories help.

13. goingcrazy12

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 13:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to add that my PCO believes the bugs were on the walls attempting to move to our room since no one was in the other room anymore. Does this seem like a true statement? I haven't seem anything and I don't believe we are being bitten (my son reacts from them). Still no signs after 5 bugs. It hasn't been that long but needing reassurance to put myself at ease.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982