Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

I am getting a 1000$ cheque as a compensation for a Bed Bug infection from owner

(4 posts)
  1. dallasbb

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 22:19:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Dallas, TX.

I am getting a 1000$ cheque as a compensation for a Bed Bug infection from owner. I stayed in an apartment for few days and got bitten badly by bed bugs and all my luggage infected.

Apartment office wants to compensate me any amount I have paid to the office as rent, processing charges etc amounting to 1000$

I know they are compensating me because it was their mistake to have rented me an infested apartment.

Should I accept this? The amount of goods I trashed, mental trauma is no comparison to 1000$.

What are your thoughts? They are asking me to sign a document that I received the same.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 22:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You also may have expenses related to treating your stuff to eliminate bed bugs. If your costs will go beyond $1000, as they likely will, you may be able to take some kind of legal action, and accepting the compensation may affect your right to take action, so it may be best to get some legal advice first if possible.

(I am not a lawyer.)

I recommend talking with a low cost legal aid service, a lawyer, or at least a tenants' advice organization. This might be an issue for small claims court, I don't know.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. notarobot

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Totally new to bedbugs, but not to legal compensation. Does the form they want you to sign include anything about not pursuing further compensation? If so, DON'T accept the money or sign the form until you've calculated exactly how much this is going to cost you.

I agree with Nobugsonme, definitely consult with a lawyer. A lot of lawyers will offer consultation on this sort of thing for a very minimal fee, and since their advice may get you a lot more in compensation, it's definitely worth it.

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 1:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a lawyer but my boss was a litigator. From what she's said to me, generally any offer of cash you accept will be interpreted as a settlement of some kind by a court and could interfere with pursuing a case.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,190 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92