I am devestated. Just found a bb on the couch

(6 posts)
  1. Ash225

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 12:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I really thought it was only in our bedroom. Wishful thinking obviously. How do i even go about dealing with the couch??

It was in a seam, and i basically suffocated it with a piece of tape. Im scared to even remove the tape now in case its still alive.

Any help on how to tackle the couch is much appreciated

2. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 13:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you give a recap of what you've been doing so far? Also, do you know if the bug was an adult or younger one? I think I remember you saying you have a passive monitor on the bed. Do you have monitors anywhere else? Those details might help the experts assess your situation. I would do a thorough inspection of the couch and living room chairs, especially the skirts where they like to hide.
    I remember how devastated that I was when I first realized my mom had them in her recliner when I thought they were contained to the bedroom. I had a good strategy for the bed but a chair was so much more complicated. It was actually a good thing that we found the harborage in the chair. I'm pretty sure that's where it actually started. When I steamed the chair, and the foot rest where they were all hiding, her bites almost completely stopped. So think of it as finding another hiding spot of them so you can get rid of them.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Ash225

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 14:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi salsavince! Thanks for making me feel a bit better.

Heres a quick rundown. This has been going on about two months. Including the bb i just found, i have found 5 total. All full adult, except one i found on my bed looked a little younger.

We deep cleaned the shit out of our bedroom. We now have nothing stored underneath it so its way easier to inspect. I had a passive monitor on the bed for 3 weeks. No activity was found. I actually found two bugs within a couple feet of it. So odd! I had purchased another one, but looks like my husband threw it out by accident. We leave for vacay on thurs so when i come back i am going to order several. In the last few weeks i have found no new fecal stains or cast skins. And the most recent bugs(other than the one i found today) were found almost 2 weeks ago. I get bit anywhere from 1-3x per week and its usually only one bite at a time.

My couch doesnt have a skirt...we are also limited with space so we need to figure out a way to turn the whole couch over easily. I have inspected around and underneath the cushions several times, and this is the first time i have found anything. Definitely going to put a passive monitor on the couch. I feel dumb for not doing it when i placed the one on the bed.

P.s how is the situation at your mom’s? I hope its gotten better! It sounded like such a nightmare. I was amazed at how diligent you were.

4. Ash225

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 14:11:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and what i meant by deep clean is vacuuming, wiping down the bed frame and wooden slats., lots of laundry. got a handheld pursteam steamer but i’m convinced it doesnt work. When i steam the mattress and feel it immediately after, it doesnt feel hot to the touch at all. Anyway, i steamed the matteess a couple times with it(its the grey one that comes with multiple attachments).

I’m debating now if i should just steam the couch too. At least give it a try.

5. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 17:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll let the experts have the official say. Especially David since I think you're following his process. I haven't seen any bugs dead or alive at my mom's for going on 9 weeks now. I think I used that same steamer. I know it gets hot because like a dummy, I accidentally burnt my arm with it while I was testing something. I used the wide attachment and put a cotton sock over the end of it to reduce the moisture and intensify the heat. You have to go pretty to make sure the heat has enough time to sink into the fabric and seams. If you feel the fabric a few seconds after you steam, you should still feel the heat coming off of it. Since it's so small, you have to refill it often so that's the downside of using a cheaper steamer. I saw it vaporize them though so I know it gets hot enough. It helps to find where they are hiding though so you know where to focus. As far as monitors, I feel like the more the better. They are not that expensive and give you a lot of peace of mind, especially when you get close the end and have trouble spotting them with just your eyes. I set 8 climb ups around the living room (I've added a couple more since) to monitor activity and they helped measure my progress. If we have any further issues, I will definitely try out David's monitors too.
    I'm glad you are going to have a get away for a little bit on vacation. That's so much needed when you're going through a stressful problem like this. Just be careful not to bring them with you (That's your other post) and have a good time.

6. Ash225

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 22:03:08
    #

Login to Send PM

SO good to hear your mom’s place is in the clear! You all must be so relieved!

Thanks for your advice on the steamer- going to give it a try tomorrow. But like you said, it’s hard since i don’t know where they’re harboring. I do hear the water boiling inside of it so its clearly heating up to some degree.Why does it seem this whole thing is more mysterious when theres a lower infestation?!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,364 posts in 47,671 topics over 147 months by 21,010 of 21,335 members. Latest: m4ry143, aptacek, MS__04