Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

I am absolutely dumbfounded

(18 posts)
  1. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 23:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I went down to the apartment and talk with the lady that will not answer her door when they come to spray and after they leave she comes out gets in her car and drives away. This has happened twice. The PCO has left messages for her to call and schedule a day and time that they can do her place. She has yet to return any repeated attempts to get hold of her.

I'm not sure what's going on down there but when she asked who it was when I knocked and I said it's me from apartment # she said one minute and when she came out opened the door barely far enough for her to squeeze through and closed the door quickly behind her. Once we started talking it was like an Ice Princess even with my explaining to her the need for her to let them treat and that it would not just affect her but the whole building she just continued to puff on her cigarette and practically ignore anything I said and me.

At the end I politely asked if she would please allow them to spray not just for her but for all of us in the building she said "I'll think about" and went back in her apartment the same way she came out. Only opening the door enough for her to slide in and closing it quickly. Odd very odd.

I talked with my neighbor who also talked with her about this last week. My neighbor called the LL to complain and ask them to do something as it would be a waste of his money to not have all units treated and they would just come back.

He told her there was nothing he could do and that he could not force her to let them treat her apartment.

Now I am pissed. This is the same LL that came into my unit while I was out of town took my encasements off my boxspring and mattress left them draped over my living room furniture. Then self treated my place and left without putting them back on or moving them off of the other furniture and now he can't do anything about this other tenant who will not let a licensed PCO treat her place.

What's the use of treating the building if one person doesn't give a @##@ about having bed bugs and will not allow them to treat her place. According to my neighbor the LL told her that when he called she said she would not allow them in.

I still don't get why he came into my place when I was away but won't do anything about this other tenant.

Thank you I needed to get that out and I did it with minimal cussing!

Any LL's out there have any suggestions. I'm going to call the lawyer and see what she says as she spealizes in tenant/landlord law. I would think he could let them in himself even if she doesn't want him to. It's not just her that lives here and the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because she doesn't care if she has BB's.

Sorry thought I was done venting.

2. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 23:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

That's okay cuz we all need to get it out or we would blow!!

3. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jan 31 2008 23:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

IBB. I'm sure something can be done.Do consult that lawyer asap.Good luck,hang in there.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 0:47:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Did a housing inspector ever inspect and tell the landlord to treat, and if so, was this order given for more than one unit???

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 7:02:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I know UK law is very different, we actually have a legal mechanism in place for dealing with properties who infest others under the 1990 Environment act. Now before you all jump and down with glee here is the down side. The act can only be enforced by an Environmental Health Officer and until recetly most local councils refused to acknowledge that BB's could spread property to property.

The process can be effective but it is unlikely to take less than 6 weeks to get action or even inspection of the adjoining property.

Polite communication in writing from all neighbours followed by asking the health department to intervene might help you. I will however stress that verbal communications with infested properties will not suffice, you need to put it in writing and keep copies for your records and to show officials.

Hope that helps in getting the ball rolling for you.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 12:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

As discussed in other places, the behavior you describe of this tenant--particularly how she opens the door only a tiny crack--is consistent with that of a possible hoarder. She might not be letting the landlord in due to fear of eviction.

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 14:34:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Coming back to this today it reminds me of a bad case we dealt with many months ago. If you want details PM me and I will send through an image of pre treatment but its not for the squeemish.

We job took a week of planning and 4 solid days on site before we were able to start treatment and numerous treatmenmt cycles. What cant be underestimated however is the roll that social services welfare department, numerous support organisations and most importantly the neighbours played in the months that followed.

I still try and find time to check up on the occupant who is very appreciative of having his life back but is now finally getting the support to stop it happening again.

Regards,

David

8. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 17:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

IBB, this landlord will have to be compelled to act. I would think that in most places the landlord has some authority to request an inspection of a tenant's apartment. This landlord probably just doesn't want the hassle. You should consult the housing authorities or the health department on what the regulations are and what can be done.

This may take forever, though.

9. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 21:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding rights of landlords, here in Alberta, Canada, a landlord has the right to enter an apartment or property, and must give notice in writing to do so. He/she must give the tenant about 48 hours advance notice. Also there is the landlord's right not only to enter, but also to make repairs. If a rental agreement is signed this is usually in the agreement.

10. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2008 0:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case the health department was out the same day. I know smaller city, different state. I would try anyway.

11. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2008 12:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

So they came and did the 3rd treatment. I made sure they did a more thorough job this time. Everyone but the one lady got their place done.

she still will not let them treat and had called the LL to tell them she has no bug problem. This is after she told us she was getting bitten by ants not BB's. Talked with the LL to let them know she would not answer her door again. LL said that since she clames to have no bugs there is nothing he can do to have her place sprayed.

I was also told the the PCO told the LL that the only units that need to be sprayed are mine and my neighbor's since we reported the problem. I can't imagine a PCO telling the owner of a multi unit building that.

Still waiting to here back from the lawyer's take on that.

I'm out of here to enjoy my 2 day break from all this.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 23:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

IveBeenBugged,
    I hope you had a good break.
    I have heard this kind of story before.
    Keep persisting. Your landlord doesn't get it yet, but look how far they have come.

13. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 1:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure Bites44 is right. This has been a clause of every lease I have ever signed and I will bet it is true and legally justifiable even if no lease was signed. If I ever have to get another lease drafted (As a condo owner, I was briefly a LL once.), I will make sure the lawyer includes language to specifically cover this situation.

14. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 10:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

We are all hoping in the building (except for the one lady who cliams she doesn't have them and is being bitten by ants) that the 3 treatments will suffice. I have my serious doubts on this but we will se what happens.

The case is being kept open from the lawyers end. Worse case is that we go back to going the legal route. Something I do not want to do but I am unwilling to live like this and be bitten until the end of may.

I had a great weekend away and slept like I haven't in a long time. I keep waking up throughout the night when I sleep at my place.

15. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 13:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I heard that if a tenant will not let a landlord in to inspect or treat for insects, the tenant can be cited on a health code violation. If the issue is severe hoarding, the tenant may, in many municipalities, be considered to have a disability and accommodations must be given, which sometimes involve extra time before re-inspection or assistance in cleaning out.

16. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 19:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

So the last treatment was saturday am I am still getting bites. To be honest I am finding some of the bites confusing. I had thought they were clearing up in 2 to 3 weeks but after changing the lighting (brighter light) in my bathroom I can see where some are still there from at least a month ago.

The weird thing is some seem to reactivate - is that possible? I probably should have posted that as a different thread.

I am going to have to do more checking with various agencies to see what can be done about the non compliant tenant as if this continues and I keep getting bitten I will have to do something. The lawyer is waiting to see if after a week (like the LL told me) that I should stop getting bitten.

We (the lawyer and I) both have our doubts about this. My neighbor is also still being bitten but the bites seem smaller than before but still itch.

As far as the LL is concerned he will not pay for anymore treatments. That's it it's done and over and he was told 3 treatments would be enough he will pay for no more.

It's going to be a LONG 4 months until the end of may when my lease is up.

17. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 6 2008 20:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

IveBeenBugged - sorry to make your situation even more confusing, but many of us here have reported the bites "reactivating." You can see my story on the skin reactions FAQ. I still see "new" bites daily, which continue to freak me out even though I believe they must be months old.

18. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 7 2008 8:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for pointing me in the right direction on the "reactivating bites" in the FAQ's. It has made me feel less crazed about it.

I seem to have had a bite free night although it takes a few hours before they pop up but no new ones this morning. Hope that continues throughout the day.

Still have some that I'm pretty sure are old ones but they seem to have gotten much better overnight.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993