Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Hundreds of BB's in one 5 hour shot

(14 posts)
  1. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 19:41:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Winding down from a BB search and destroy mission. We've (missus and I) had them for a little over year, mostly under control, random bites, but always wondering why they aren't gone. Knocked the majority down within a couple of months (hey, at that time newbies at this).

Using CimeXa had them down to a rare basis, but never gone.

Back up a little, a 'guest' moved in back in Feb of 2014. He was told we had BB's and to inform us immediately if you see any in your room or any where else.

Fast forward to a week ago, after having them show up every couple of days to a week or two in the passive monitors on our bed. Monitors are checked daily, no screwing around with this, they should be gone by now.

I took our bed completely apart and found absolutely nothing. No signs , no nests, nothing. The room and furniture have been checked on a weekly basis with again, nothing found.

I did this work myself, spending many hours and knowing what to look for. So why are we having this on going issue?

Then I see a CO2 trap in the 'guest room.' WTF?

I'm informed that there are BB's there and he has been self treating. A bigger WTF! I check and the room is seriously infested. Get him out of here, now! Why, why are you so stupid as to not let us know? Well, your stupidity cost you a place to live. LPR, if you read this, now you know why.

So now many hours later, I've sucked about 300 of them up in the vacuum cleaner. Put some CimeXa on the mattress and box-spring, but I ache. Not used to doing this kind of work myself. A double bed in a room that is only large enough for a twin makes it difficult (heavy) to move.

Single house, reasonable size, stupid kid should have known better. And folks wonder why these parasites are so difficult to eradicate. It's because of stupid people that don't (f'ing) care.

That is the bottom line...

A lot of other work was done besides just vacuuming, as I started at the doorway to the room and checked everything. Moving and bagging (AS TRASH), anything that was suspect. Talk about clutter (crap as it were).

Then after vacuuming worked my way back out checking for the stragglers. Yes, found some of those too. A little more CimeXa, and I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't... What a way to spend a Friday.

WhatBugs?

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 20:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, WhatBugs, I'm really sorry to hear this. No wonder they never left!! But at least you finally found the harborage. (Shudders). Hope this means it's the beginning of the end for the things!!

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 23:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my! What a simply horrible story WhatBugs! After all you did to just have to now start all over again! It makes me terribly sad for all parties involved. But what a bed bug superhero kill'n machine you are! Way to take charge and your wife is lucky to have you on her side! Good luck with this go round!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2015 0:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

WhatBugs,
    That's awful.
    I am glad you got to the root of the problem and can now address it fully.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2015 15:12:45
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 16 hours ago  » 
    Oh, WhatBugs, I'm really sorry to hear this. No wonder they never left!! But at least you finally found the harborage. (Shudders). Hope this means it's the beginning of the end for the things!!

And there were a lot of them, but with the knowledge from this site that I gained over the past year, it was a winning battle. As for the beginning of the end, yes, I believe so. However, over the next month or so I do expect to see more of them head our way.

There are always ones that get missed and end up searching for food. Knowing this makes it much easier to mentally deal with it. And with the steps that are in place it won't be difficult to ferret them out.

AbsolutelyFreaking - 13 hours ago  » 
    Oh my! What a simply horrible story WhatBugs! After all you did to just have to now start all over again! It makes me terribly sad for all parties involved. But what a bed bug superhero kill'n machine you are! Way to take charge and your wife is lucky to have you on her side! Good luck with this go round!

Yes, unfortunately it is sad. It actually hurts.

It may sound crazy, but I didn't feel as though this was starting over. It was more like nearing the end. As it was most likely the reason for the ongoing issue with the BB's. I've thought that they were being continuously reintroduced, I do pray that I am wrong about that, and this was the real issue.

Nobugsonme - 13 hours ago  » 
    I am glad you got to the root of the problem and can now address it fully.

Nobugs, that makes two of us. Tomorrow I'll probably go through the mattress and box spring again with the vacuum.

Before outlining what I did, there were two interesting happenings during the search & destroy mission. While vacuuming up a nest one was crawling on the back of my left hand, not surprising, and a quick sweep of the vacuum and it was gone.

However, the little bugger had already bit me on the wrist. Ha, but it was the only bite I got the whole time. It was expected, no big deal.

The second one is a bit (ooh, that word again) different. There are several paintings on the wall next to the bed. They were checked early on for nests, none found, clean as could be. Near the end I checked them both again, and sure enough an adult BB was on the back side canvas of one of them.

That bugger would not let go, even getting close to him with the vacuum he held on tight. On the mattress and such it was easy to clear them off. Not so on the canvas, I had to nudge him off with my finger before the vacuum would get him.

This surprised me at how well he was able to hang onto that material.

As for the eradication, the vacuum cleaner was the tool of choice. Mostly used the crevice tool, then would switch to the wide (foot?) tool to vacuum the large areas. Would go through a section of the mattress seams with the crevice tool, then switch to the wide tool and vacuum the entire areas and floor.

This was to pick up the ones that evaded the prior vacuuming. Then back to the crevice tool and continue on along the seams.

As in my opening post, I started at the door and cleared items. That is looked for BB's and if OK, they were vacuumed (for dust and such), and moved out of the room. I looked under and around the desk with a strong flashlight and mirror.

There was one box that as soon as I started to check it I could smell them. That box was immediately bagged and set outside. Deal with that one later.

Checked the other furniture and found nothing. Here a flashlight and mirror are good tools to use. With them I was able to inspect the underside and legs without having to tip it over. Do need to get down on the floor, but it sure beats having to move this stuff.

Once the perimeter was cleared I moved to the mattress. Note that the bedding and such had already been bagged and washed earlier in the week. Leaving the mattress in place, don't want them running for cover, just went around the accessible seams with the crevice tool and vacuuming while pushing the seams open with my hand.

Switched to the foot tool and vacuumed the whole top and sides. Then moved the mattress out some to gain access to more seam areas. Just continued doing this switching between the tools.

Gently flipped the mattress up to get access to the lower seams. Basically continuing to do the same until everything on the mattress was cleared. Moved it off to the side.

Note that there were a lot of bugs in the seams. It is all like the pro's on here have shown with their pictures and videos (thank you pro's, extremely helpful).

Then started on the box-spring in the same manner. There was one major difference, it had the nicely curved metal corner guards on it. Wow, talk about BB hotels. With the vacuum in one hand and pliers in the other, pulled the staples to remove them. Yes, many, many bugs.

I did get some pictures, but it isn't easy trying to operate the camera with one hand while the vacuum cleaner tool is in the other sucking the little buggers up.

Once the bed was cleared the entire room was vacuumed again, this included the baseboards and such. At this point I applied CimeXa to the crevices of the baseboards, then dusted the exposed areas of the bed along with very lightly dusting the floor (hardwood).

Ran the vacuum for a minute then immediately removed the bag and bagged it. That went right into the outside trash can, never even touched the floor.

I hope this long post helps someone down the road. I feel like I'm at the end of the journey and the wind is at my back.

WhatBugs?

6. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 10:43:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Something dawned on me over the weekend, in that the BB modus-operandi had changed over a period of time. In the beginning they would bite at all hours of the night, usually between 1 and 4 AM. This is typical of when they like to feed.

For at least the past six - eight months the majority of the bites occurred around 7-ish AM. At the time it struck me as odd, but didn't think about it too much.

Now in hindsight, it was obvious why this happened. The missus' gets up at about 5AM and leaves for work at about 6. Before doing so stops by to let me know she is leaving.

I typically get up between 7:30 and 8 AM.

The infested guest room in the opening post, it is right next to the kitchen. Hmmm, yes, she was picking up one or two and (unknowingly) leaving them with me. So obvious in hindsight.

Just another clue in the battle, if you experience a change in the BB behavior, there is a reason for it.

WhatBugs?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 11:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

In the beginning they would bite at all hours of the night, usually between 1 and 4 AM. This is typical of when they like to feed.

For at least the past six - eight months the majority of the bites occurred around 7-ish AM. At the time it struck me as odd, but didn't think about it too much.

It's very unusual for someone to "feel" bites when they occur. The only way to know this is happening is if you see them biting you when you have the feeling. Is that something you can do?

Most people have delayed reactions to bed bug bites-- hours, even days or a week or more.

Many do report "feeling bites" but look and see nothing at the time -- this suggests that such feelings can be caused by bed bugs biting, but can be a delayed response.

8. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 13:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't feel the actual bite, but within minutes react with a severe burning, itching welt. It will wake me up the burning is so bad, it can not be ignored. I've found that at a minimum I need to rub the welt, usually with the palm of my hand as to not tear open the skin.

This is the reason I lost so much sleep until I figured out what it was. Way back I was waking up multiple times during the night ripping my arms open. I actually started sleeping in my office chair.

The welt will subside within an hour, with the burning/itching lasting several minutes (as long as it has been rubbed or scratched).

For myself, the bites from a flea, BB, and a mosquito are completely different. I can easily tell them apart, for others it may not be that apparent. The joys of having allergies.

-=

Follow up to mentioning that I was going to vacuum the entire mattress and box-spring again. I ended up not doing that, a visual check showed I did a decent job the first time. And with the CimeXa on them didn't really want to vacuum it off.

So today I went over all the edges/seams & nest areas of both of them with a brush and CimeXa. They have been set upright on the long side. After doing the accessible sides, flipped them and did the newly accessible side/areas.

WhatBugs?

9. pest control dude

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 14:43:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Horrible, hope things turn around for you and you never have to experience that again.

10. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 21:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

paintings on the wall next to the bed. They were checked early on for nests, none found, clean as could be. Near the end I checked them both again, and sure enough an adult BB was on the back side canvas of one of them.

That bugger would not let go, even getting close to him with the vacuum he held on tight. On the mattress and such it was easy to clear them off. Not so on the canvas, I had to nudge him off with my finger before the vacuum would get him.

As an oil painter I'm well acquainted with canvas, cotton and linen. Not at all surprised that the stretched raw canvas on the back of a painting would give a bedbug some advantage when being attacked by suction. I have no knowledge of entomology however it seems like an ideal surface, particularly once stretched across wood canvas bars--I give it 5 stars for harboring bedbugs.

You sound like your damn good at this but since you never mentioned it be particularly mindful of they're ability to crawl underneath the four wood bars that the canvas is stretched

11. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 21:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 6 minutes ago  » 

paintings on the wall next to the bed. They were checked early on for nests, none found, clean as could be. Near the end I checked them both again, and sure enough an adult BB was on the back side canvas of one of them.

As an oil painter I'm well acquainted with canvas, cotton and linen. Not at all surprised that the stretched raw canvas on the back of a painting would give a bedbug some advantage when being attacked by suction. I have no knowledge of entomology however it seems like an ideal surface, particularly once stretched across wood canvas bars--I give it 5 stars for harboring bedbugs.
    You sound like your damn good at this but since you never mentioned it be particularly mindful of they're ability to crawl underneath the four wood bars that the canvas is stretched

Yikes. I have a huge one in my bedroom that my cat has been attacking that's exactly like this. I looked and thought it was ok...I have other paintings stored on the floor. Would CimeXa dust be adequate for this task?

12. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 21:50:27
    #

Login to Send PM

over.....(Sorry, life off line happened.) All of these nice little pockets exist where the canvas is folded over those canvas framing bars and stapled. The canvas at the four corners of the frame is carefully folded with either a french tuck or a square envelope. Another haven for bbs.

My infestation was caught early and likely never progressed further than the bed frame as no fecal matter, cast skins or eggs were found elsewhere. Had one large oil oil painting propped up on the wall adjacent to the infested bed. It was unfinished. I decided to get rid of it. Took it outside and removed all staples from the canvas and kept only the stretcher bars.

You get it. Paintings on stretched canvas need 'specially good inspection.

13. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 22:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Yikes. I have a huge one in my bedroom that my cat has been attacking that's exactly like this. I looked and thought it was ok...I have other paintings stored on the floor. Would CimeXa dust be adequate for this task?

robinsmom, you only need to check the painting front and back, thoroughly, no big deal. If there are BB's there, the signs will be obvious. The first is fecal matter, canvas is light in color, fecal will be, as said, obvious as it is dark.

If an infestation is past that, there will be cast shells, along with a dark stained nest area. You and I have seen enough of BB signs that it is apparent. Don't let the Internet troll get to you. You knew all along that there were bugs where you were, even though you were cleared (gut instinct goes a long way).

You found them, wipe them out. Take charge and just do it. I did, and I know what I saw and what I didn't see. The paintings on these walls are clean as can be. Of course a BB was found late in the cleaning. The bastard got away and went right up the wall.

There were hundreds of them on the bed...

This is how BB's react. Given the choice of being wiped out or... That one choose to run. And why he was found, BECAUSE I KNEW that they do this. So checked for them before and then after I was winding down the search and destroy mission.

If nervous about it, just very lightly dust the back of the painting with some CimeXa, lightly. Won't hurt, and will give a good piece of mind. With BB's, that is worth a lot. Lightly (!) dust the rear areas with a brush (cosmetic/blush brush is great).

Phezzit on bedbugsuptown, just another Internet troll. Yea, I have some direct experience in this area. Troll, read my posts, maybe you'll get a hint.

WhatBugs?

14. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jan 26 2015 22:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsuptown - 27 minutes ago  » 
    over.....(Sorry, life off line happened.) All of these nice little pockets exist where the canvas is folded over those canvas framing bars and stapled. The canvas at the four corners of the frame is carefully folded with either a french tuck or a square envelope. Another haven for bbs.
    My infestation was caught early and likely never progressed further than the bed frame as no fecal matter, cast skins or eggs were found elsewhere. Had one large oil oil painting propped up on the wall adjacent to the infested bed. It was unfinished. I decided to get rid of it. Took it outside and removed all staples from the canvas and kept only the stretcher bars.
    You get it. Paintings on stretched canvas need 'specially good inspection.

Unbelievable, "Paintings on stretched canvas need 'specially good inspection." This is no different then a mattress. Lots of tucks and folds, just like a good painting. Here you criticize me, but don't understand that there is no difference.

But you gave up, trashed the canvas. Wow, lots of experience to share here. Go away until you can come back and give first-person experience on keeping the heirlooms...

At a minimum, get out of my threads, you just spread fear and despair.

WhatBugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams