Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

How would I know if I have pyrethroid-resistant bed bugs?

(3 posts)
  1. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat May 7 2011 1:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nearly a month ago we brought BBs home from New York. Should be a light case because we contracted it so recently, and as soon as I found out we called a PCO here in Taiwan.

Since the first spraying we've only received a couple of bites every other day or so. We had our second treatment on Tuesday, about 17 days after the 1st treatment.

Today is Saturday. 5 days after the 2nd treatment. This morning I found a new bite on my hand. The day before, I had another one on a different hand. And the day before that I had 3 linear bites on my thumb.

1) When should I call the PCO again for treatment? They too hoped that the 2nd treatment would finish the job.

2) Why are our bed bugs so persistent? Could they be the pyrethroid resistant variety? If so, how should I speak to our PCO about this? Last time I brought up this subject they didn't seem very happy...

3) How common is it to encounter the pyrethroid resistant variety?

I really cannot believe a few bed bugs in our tiny little studio cannot be killed. I guess they enjoy our small and compacted living space.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 15:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NoBB,

Firstly, bedbugs only feed about once per week and until they leave the safety of their harbourage they are unlikely to encounter the residual insecticide. I would therefore give it at least another week or two before calling the PCO back.

It is extremely likely that your bedbugs are pyrethroid resistant. I have screened dozens if not hundreds of strains for pyrethroid resistance and have yet to find a strain that isn't. However, for the time being, it is still possible to kill them with conventional insecticides. They just tend to be more difficult to get rid of than they would have been 20-30 years ago - higher doses, repeat visits etc.

Has your PCO given any guarantees. Some do and some don't, so if yours hasn't I would shop around. Good ones will come back for return visits without additional charge until the bugs are dealt with.

Good luck!

3. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 21:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Richard.

We're probably going to call in a 3rd treatment tomorrow or the day after. (8 days after 2nd treatment. temperature here in Taiwan is hot!)

We'll try to see if we're allowed to toss the mattresses (I think BBs are inside) -- as the mattresses are our landlord's

We'll wrap up the mattress, of course, before we get rid of them. I'll just sleep on the wooden bedframe, which has been sprayed.

Thanks again!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956