Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

How to Treat Handmade Toy?

(8 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 7:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a toy, rather bulky, that was handmade for my youngest. It was exposed to BBs and I can't check every nook. There are too many hiding places. Any ideas on how to treat it? Dousing it in Steri-Fab? I know rubbing alcohol is a bad idea. I can't really pour boiling water on it. Any ideas? I appreciate anything y'all can give me.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 7:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Post a photo of it so we can give you an idea of how to treat it. I don't know why you think rubbing alcohol with murphy's oil is a bad idea. Is it because the toy is varnished and will be damaged by the rubbing alcohol?

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 9:21:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Given all the fires we've heard about with regard to people self treating with rubbing alcohol, I think it's safe to say we shouldn't be encouraging the practice. Nor should we be suggesting making concoctions (especially the "pro's) with multiple chemicals without knowing the effects of these products.

That being said - you didn't provide enough info about the toy. Electronic, wood, fabric, rubber, glue, blah blah blah. What is it?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 12:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If you hold it and breathe onto it, any hungry bed bugs will begin crawling about in search of you. Just put it in the dryer on low, gentle if it's cloth and padding and won't be damaged by rolling around in there. As KQ noted above, describe toy. Don't use any alcohol, hot water. Try vacuuming it if it can be vacuumed.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 14:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I described it, and the sentence must have deleted! So sorry. It is varnished and unvarnished wood, nailed and glued together in pieces. Alcohol and water would probably damage it, not to mention the combustibility of the fumes. So not doing that, too risky.

Rather bulky and customized to him bearing names so I wouldn't want to post a photo unfortunately. I know it would help to do so. Appreciate the advice! I was thinking something along the lines of what Lou said, there isn't any cloth but lots of hidden wooden joints. Hoping they will come out if I set this in the bathtub and hit it with a blow dryer on high... it has been sealed for a month, they would be starved and run right out, right?

6. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 16:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Loubugs is saying to blow on it as the co2 in your breath should bring them out!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 17:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 1 hour ago  » 
    I think Loubugs is saying to blow on it as the co2 in your breath should bring them out!

I've noticed that blowing directly on them will make them hunker down or at least stop in their tracks and then when you stop blowing they will go back to normal behavior. If you lightly exhale on them, they will become attracted and crawl toward the origin of the exhaled air.

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2016 18:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting info, Lou (and thanks to all the experts for their advice)

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19