Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How to tell they are gone? And Phantom reviews?

(5 posts)
  1. sleeplessandtired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 13:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone...I need some help.

About 2 months ago we discovered we had bed bugs in our sofa! I live with my parents right now and I had been getting 'hives' and we all thought it was some allergic reaction (since every year I get hives) but just in case my mom steam cleaned all mattresses and sofas (only from the top though she didn't lift up the sofa to do the underneath part). Then one day in the living room I see a bug and showed my mom and she confirmed it was a bed bug because of the shape and she killed it and it had that smell! So the next day proceed to search where they are coming from and we lifted up the couch and low and behold they were harbored underneath one of the sofas! She steam cleaned and we dusted Mother Earth D until the exterminator could come.

So exterminator comes a couple days later and he checks the rooms and mattresses, etc. to see if they spread and he said they hadn't but that we should prep the rooms as in take off all our sheets, bedcovers, etc from the bed and wash and dry in very hot temps. And we should also empty out our drawers and closets and launder those clothes as well. So we did that and he came the next day did some sort of treatment and he said he also sprayed growth inhibitor, dusted outlets and told us to not go back into the house for another 3-4 hours. Ok, great but he said we only needed one treatment and that should be enough and he gave us a 70 day guarantee and said don't wash hardwood floors or bathroom tiles for 2 weeks. Is that normal for them to only treat once?

Anyway, then a week after he did his thing I saw a bed bug on my bedroom door frame! It looked like an adult to me but I have no idea what the difference in an adult and 4th instar is. But I took it in a tissue paper and looked at it and it looked like it hadn't fed in a couple days. But it was creeping me out so I crushed it but took a while to kill it and I'm guessing because it was dry and thin that I just needed more force, anyway eventually killed it. But I was wondering how long do you think it hadn't fed since when I crushed it no blood came out of it at all and if was just a dry looking thin bug?

So, anyway when I saw that bug I insisted that the exterminator come back and do what he has to do. So he came back a week and a half after his initial application. After that, I had not received any new bites (I am the only one it seems like gets a reaction) for almost a month and none of us had seen anything either. And last week I figured I'd dust Drione dust around the baseboards in the cracks and crevices just to make sure, so I did that. And then 2 days ago I saw another dreaded bed bug on my door frame! I called my mom over because I didn't want to deal with it and she said yup it's bed bug and she squished it and she said it was dry and didn't have any blood come out of it. So then yesterday I spent all day looking for the bed bugs in the house. I didn't find any bugs, any cast skin, and only found a couple fecal spots in the living room window sill (but not sure if they were fresh or just missed cleaning it from the first round).

Please, tell me is this normal or do I have bugs hiding out and they are just now coming out again? Also, checked beds and so far nothing in them (hope nothing ever goes in there). Or should the dust eventually take care of them? Also, if I spray Phantom in cracks and crevices should that be a good preventative matter or should I just stick to the dust?

Please help as I did not sleep all weekend thinking about this and today my eyes hurt!

2. sleeplessandtired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 20:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I read a little that Drione might actually be a repellent. Is that true? I don't want to repel them, I want kill them!

Also, was reading up on some insecticide paint (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/health/insecticidal-paint-shows-promise-in-curbing-disease.html). Can any of the experts please let us know if this is a possibility or even feasible for future bed bug treatments?

3. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 7 2012 22:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope someone responds to you...

I had two treatments too and I'm curious about your questions and what they say...

4. curls

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 8 2012 9:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm new. But I would call the exterminator - and see what they say.

From what I'm reading, anything you do can interfere with their plan of action. So best to call them before spraying. (You could be deterring the bugs from going where their killing stuff is, by spraying something.)

You may feel like a pest, but I'm sure you spent good money & plenty on them. They've earned your phone calls, and they did give a guarantee.

5. sleeplessandtired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 8 2012 18:17:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Curls...ya I think I'm going to speak to the exterminator when he comes here. He'll be coming in a few days to do routine bug spraying. Till then I'll be a paranoid person and look for traces of bed bugs (good thing my baseboards and door frames are all white so fecal spots will be easy to spot!)

I wish they would just come out soon with a preventative thing so I can sleep like I used too!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,817 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs