Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

How to tell if an apartment has (had) bedbugs and other moving in NYC Qs.

(5 posts)
  1. secretformula

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 18:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! .

I live in NYC, and I'll be moving from Manhattan to Central/South Brooklyn soon. Three big questions:

1. For NYers: How are Kensington, Midwood, Bensonhurst, and Sheepshead Bay doing with regards to bedbugs? (And basically any other neighborhood south of Prospect Park and accessible via the Q or F trains.)

2. How can I avoid picking them up while moving? I'm worried about renting an infested UHAUL or something of the sort -- but if I don't rent one, I don't have any friends with trucks who'd be able to help.

3. When moving into a new place, what are some things I can do before/while settling in in order to prevent bedbugs? I've heard a lot about Diatomaceous Earth - should I buy it and sprinkle it in all of the wall cracks? Please recommend anything safe to use with a cat around!

4. Lastly, and more importantly, how can I ensure that a place is bedbug free when I'm apartment hunting? I know what they look like, but if the apartment is devoid of furniture and in squeaky-clean open house mode, it may be far more difficult to spot them. I also really don't trust landlords or brokers to tell me the truth if I ask if the building has ever had an infestation.

Thank you in advance! Sorry if it grosses you out, but I had an unfortunate case of hookworms once, so after battling parasites on the inside, I'd rather not have to deal with them again on the outside. Or ever. Yeesh!

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 20:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi...

Actually, i think that bbs are not technically parasites since they don't live on the body....they come, feed and then go back to where they live. I think they may be predators. In any event, i know what you mean and if you can get an assurance in writing from the prospective landlord, that would be helpful.

I suppose you could have one of those dogs go to the apartment. Even if the place is clean, there may be hiding bugs in the walls, in the flooring, and electrical outlets, etc.

I don't know what to tell you about the truck. I think there are places that rent trucks that you can have gassed to kill anything inside. That might be pricey. I don't know information about that but others have written about it. You might find those posts if you use the search engine on this web page.

Do you HAFTA move? If you're bb free where you are, can't you stay put?

Good luck

3. Cassandra

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 21:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same situation as you, and here is my post discussing my plan of attack with helpful commentary from Nobugsonme:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/moving-cross-country-how-to-prevent-picking-up-bed-bugs-from-move-1

4. eurydice

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 6:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Look for caulking around the baseboards--- that seems like a tell-tale sign....

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 6 2015 8:11:17
    #

Login to Send PM

If a place previously had bedbugs, sometimes there'll be poop near the baseboard along the closets, underneath or around the window sill, or even along or near the heat register.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver