(20 posts)
  1. altocleff

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 2:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I am new to all of this and only found my first bug last night. An exterminator has confirmed that it is a bed bug. I have used interceptors to keep them from climbing the bed frame.
    -
    However, I have an electric blanket on my bed for my cat who sleeps with me. I am worried they will climb the electrical cord. Does anyone have any way to make a barrier on the cord that they cannot climb? My cat gets cold and meows all night if I don't have the heater for her.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 2:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a few things you could do that others have used in your situation. I would use all three of these at once.

A very smooth surface tape.
    Double sided sticky tape.
    Vaseline.

I'd put all three in a row on the cord where it's suspended in the air between the floor and the bed. You'd have to replace the double sided tape often, and wipe clean and replace the vaseline every night but you'd be assured that they couldn't really get up using the cord.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 10:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Only a smooth tape would work.

Sticky tape does not for this reason:

https://youtu.be/LIDnn34xMNg

Vaseline is not very effective and can leave a mess that is a pain to work around. I have been known to postpone visits where people use it until its all cleaned away.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 10:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 11:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Just thinking out loud here but you mention a bedframe. Wouldn't climb ups and tape be pointless since they can be living in your bedframe and can still get to you?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 11:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Just thinking out loud here but you mention a bedframe. Wouldn't climb ups and tape be pointless since they can be living in your bedframe and can still get to you?

When you throw in the fact that they have been known to get hungry enough to by pass isolation, sometimes without relocating into the bed frame the short answer is yes. It is not the popular opinion however.

David

7. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 13:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Not to mention they can climb the walls and drop onto the bed from the ceiling

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 13:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Why wouldn't they relocate to the bed frame if a bed is isolated? At least that is closer to the food source.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 14:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It is an observation that they do not always relocate and that for some odd reason once a bed bug gets into the habit of a long walk or convoluted route to food it may repeat that process repeatedly even if the walk is some distance. I have seen it most commonly in multiply treated properties where the issue can become the small number of elusive bed bugs.

It is included for technical completeness rather than common occurrence.

While it can be countered with longer time and a more optimal harbourage on the bed it is just all round easier, faster and cheaper not to make that mistake to start off with.

In terms of bed bug don't do's its not sin number 1 by a long stretch but given the impact we know it has its frustrating that everyone is some parts of the world are slow to take that information on-board. In Australia and the EU they are not commonly used but that is in part due to the most common bed design in the UK being one that does not lend itself well to isolation. Our box bases are deeper and have casters rather than legs (see image below):

divanorencasedboxandmattresss by David Cain, on Flickr

A double is likely to have 8 wheels in a base that is split horizontally to ensure it is easier to get into a small house. The carcass of the base is material covered with a stapled dust cover. Sometimes with draws and sometimes not they offer a massive potential landscape for bed bugs. However, as you can see from the image below we have a solution to that. We are still working on the finer details such as how we can make the human element more efficient as with this example where the landlord had asked the tenant to check the monitor on a regular basis and report any issues quickly.

IMG_2970 by David Cain, on Flickr

Its why I have always been a non isolation advocate since I first tested it side by side with what we were doing before.

David

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 14:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm confused because if your monitor were available they would relocate to it, correct, even though it would require a change in habit. Why is there the difference? Thanks, just trying to understand.

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 16:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought it was explained pretty clearly in this paragraph

While it can be countered with longer time and a more optimal harbourage on the bed it is just all round easier, faster and cheaper not to make that mistake to start off with.

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 16:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn,
    What is the purpose of your post? I was asking David Cain the question.

13. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 17:09:36
    #

Login to Send PM

What is the purpose of your post?

Umm, contributing to the conversation? This is a public message board.

I was asking David Cain the question.

I'm sure he'll be along to answer you personally.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Feb 20 2017 21:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

After a few cycles they would but that process of relocation is slows in an isolated bed compared to a non isolated one. Also in a long term or treated problem there may be additional factors such as treatment of surfaces which discourages them from being in the bed.

I get called into a high number of failed treatment cases and often isolation strategies have played a role in that failure as they resolve when it's removed.

David

15. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 9:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

altocleff, I hope you have not followed KillerQueen's recommendation to use Tangle-foot; it is an off-label use and the label also warns not to be used around children.

John, as a licensed professional, why would you put forth the use of a product intended for exterior use?

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  16. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 9:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Canuck - 55 minutes ago  » 
    altocleff, I hope you have not followed KillerQueen's recommendation to use Tangle-foot; it is an off-label use and the label also warns not to be used around children.
    John, as a licensed professional, why would you put forth the use of a product intended for exterior use?

Umm ... it's a sticky coating not a pesticide. As a dog handler why would you make such a claim? Look up the MSDS ... and tell me why it's not ok

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 12:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 1 day ago  » 
    A little dab will do ya .... https://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-300000588-8-Ounce-Tangle-Trap-Coating/dp/B0039CKKCE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487606075&sr=8-2&keywords=tanglefoot+insect+trap+coating

The label does state "for gardens, green houses, yards, orchards and fields" and "keep out of reach of children". Be cautious, especially if using products off-label.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 12:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 17 minutes ago  » 
    The label does state "for gardens, green houses, yards, orchards and fields" and "keep out of reach of children". Be cautious, especially if using products off-label.

The full current label is here:

https://faa81132b7.site.internapcdn.net/CFLs/Tangle-Trap%20Sticky%20Coating.pdf

It is clearly designed as an outdoor product and the manufacturers I am sure did not design it as a petroleum based product to apply indoors. However, it does say if used indoors the area must be well ventilated. I think in most homes and given the proximity to the sleeping area reasonable caution would suggest that its not "well ventilated" enough for such a use, so close to a sleeping person.

David

19. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 21 2017 13:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! Let's all kill the canaries with one breath.

Look - I've made glue traps for said purposes in years past. Not the brand I mentioned but I looked quick for a small jar that would do the trick like I've used in the past. Looking again online I'm not alone when suggesting it. http://pestcemetery.com/making-glue-traps/

Bottom line - You want to protect a cord you can put this type of glue on it in a 1 inch area. If you live in a shoe box or have emphysema, stay up all night and watch the cord for activity.

PS. Make sure the shoe box is "organic" in construction and glue or you may die by the morning. If not by that than maybe from the fumes of a passing car.

20. BBsufferer

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Feb 28 2017 10:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 1 week ago  » 

Yes plus it can climb to the ceiling and drop to your bed too.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,773 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01