Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How to spot nymphs

(4 posts)
  1. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 20:36:32
    #

Login to Send PM

How do people inspect and particularly look for nymphs? I inspect my encased mattress which is on the ground and haven't seen any. My carpet is brown so difficult to see anything that is translucent. Do you have to inspect with a magnifying glass? I'm trying to be thorough but not sure I'm inspecting enough? I've had two steam and chemical treatments. My PCO said he didn't see any evidence at the last treatment and is coming to inspect post treatment next week. Initial funding was one adult, some eggs and a molt

I'm Just nervous something could be missed trying to stay positive

2. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 20:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never actually seen an adult. I've o my seen one nymph. And I didn't need a magnifying glass, but I definitely was on my hands and knees with my phone flashlight scouring every inch of the bed. Lol. It took over 3 hours of searching one mattress to find one nymph.

So while it's not impossible and you don't NEED a magnifying glass, it sure would help! Lol.

3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 21:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

You for sure do not need a magnifying glass. They're small, but still visible with the naked eye. The new, just hatched and never fed nymphs are easily missed as they're light tan/clearish and about the size of a poppy seed with legs, but once fed, they turn bright red. My couch was beige and unless one was moving, or bright red, I easily missed them- que the lint roller. That thing was my BEST FRIEND! I went over the whole thing 3-4x daily and almost always caught at least 1-2. As they get 'older' they get bigger and darker.

Here's my Flickr- shows a couple various stages with other things to help with sizing.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/157967708@N08/with/36419620883/

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 21:46:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! So probably would see them on my stark white mattress cover with close inspection. They really are tiny. Lint roller is a great idea! I guess I will just keep inspecting and keeping a close eye out

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me