Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

how to save a dresser (or bookshelf, for that matter)

(5 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 14 2014 16:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

so my boyfriend has this beautiful clothing dresser. Just gorgeous. We tipped it over and saw on the bottom multiple cracks and crevices and structural supporting triangular pieces of wood--all of which had bed bug eggs and fecal stains everywhere you would expect.

The recent PCO sprayed contact killer all around these areas, and said there was a 50% chance that I would have to throw this furniture item out. He said caulk doesn't stick to wood so I should not caulk the crevices. He said I should squeeze vaseline into the cracks like crazy. I think this is silly--I have caulked base boards before and it seemed to stick fine. Baseboards are made of wood.

But the point is--I can't afford thermal treatment or vikane. This PCO sprayed a chemical that may be a repellant on the bottom--it could have driven the bugs deeper into the furniture.

If I caulk the crevices I see, will the bugs just crawl out other avenues? Will they find hidden pockets to go dormant in? Or can I assume that if the PCO sprayed transport on this dresser anywhere he could, and we don't get anymore bites for a few months, then this piece of furniture is ok?

What do you all think?

2. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 14 2014 16:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

oh yeah my books were quite infested--so presumably the book shelves are suspect. Whatever treatment is prescribed to the clothing dresser would be applied to the book shelves

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 14 2014 16:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Holy Crap !

What a bunch of BS this guy is telling you !

Firstly, we don't need to be throwing out our stuff just cause some pest guy says so.

We wouldn't throw out our dog or cat just cause it has fleas right ?

The proper caulk can stick to wood and be used to seal cracks and crevices just fine.

Also, if it comes to this, you can seal this dresser thing in a plastic tarp and treat it using pest strips if need be.

Hope this helps and please don't be doing anything that doesn't sound 100% correct without checking here first !

pjb

4. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 14 2014 20:03:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Holy Crap !

What a bunch of BS this guy is telling you !

Firstly, we don't need to be throwing out our stuff just cause some pest guy says so.

WORD!!!!!!

never ever throw out your stuff because of bed bugs, I've seen people throw out their most valuable possessions, for no reason

don't do it

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  5. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 25 2014 12:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you all on this sooner. I was up to my eyeballs in laundry and PCO visits and then I got some new work gigs --it has been non-stop. NO REST FOR THE WICKED.

So you two answered my question that I shouldn't throw out the nice piece of furniture. The solution offered was a tarp and pest strips.

My PCO sprayed Tridye and Phantom all over the dresser and we didn't see any new bugs for 3 months. I have an active monitor set up next to the dresser. Assuming I continue not to see new bugs, would this dresser be considered "cleared"?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82