(5 posts)
  1. illegalcatbread

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 4 2013 23:03:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone!

First of all, I'm so grateful I found this place and after reading (mainly obsessing) most of the posts here I feel somewhat hopeful that I can escape this nightmare.

Long story stort: My boyfriend and I put a hold into this nice apartment and plan to move there in a month. As we lightly packed and prepped for our move we discovered bedbugs (they were harboring in my roommates room).
    I absolutely went ape-shit and went on panic mode trying to de-clutter, toss everything we don't need, and bag clothes (they were washed in high-heat and dried for 50 min) and items we absolutely need. The manager had a pestcontrol "threat" our bedbug problem about a 2 weeks ago, but yesterday I saw a bedbug on my hoodie.....and I broke down crying because we're moving so soon!!!

We're moving this Saturday and we got an action plan. I would like to know you're opinions and maybe have some advice for our move.

THE PLAN
    1. Wash then Bagged
    -1a: Bag all linens, towels, cat-clothes, human clothes.
    -1b: Wash all washable items in high temp, and dried in high temp for 70 minutes.
    -1c: Bag clean items in new bags.
    -1d: Items that can't be washed will need to be thermal heated .
    Side note: We bought ThermalStrike, because it was cheapest. We haven't tested it yet but we read fairly positive reviews...so we bought it.

2. Vac and Dust
    We only have two furnitures that we are taking: 1 beautiful bookshelf and bedframe.
    I got protective gear (mask, googles, and gloves) as well.
    -2a: Vacuum the bookshelf, dust with food grade D/Earth, then bag it in a large furniture bag.
    -2b: Vacuum steal bedframe, dust, and bagged.
    -2c: Vacuum matress, inspect, cover it with a mattress cover, and bag it with a mattress bag.
    -2d: Burn the vacuum and the little assholes to the ground!!!!! (or just throw out the bag)

3. Toss, Heat, and Store.
    -3a: Toss away items we don't care about.
    -3b: Thermal heat items.
    -3c: Store in plastic storage bins and bagged.

4. Wash the cat.

What do you think? Would this help me? Should I call a (proper) Pest Control to inspect my new apartment after I moved in?
    Also, can I thermal heat my electronics? Sorry if that's a stupid questions..but I'm not sure.

Thank you for reading such a long post.

2. Koebner

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 4 2013 23:18:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you could probably do with this site's FAQs - http://bedbugger.com/faqs/
    The info there should help you plan an effective strategy. The section on travel, as well as the "Dos & Don'ts" seem especially appropriate.

The good thing about the FAQs is that theycover the questions we might forget to ask.

3. Magsno

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Mar 5 2013 4:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You seem to have a fairly good idea of what you should do but as Koebner says the FAQs on this site should tell you all you need to know!

Good luck!

4. illegalcatbread

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 11 2013 20:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses!
    We followed our action plan as best as we can. The movers (who sucked and were expensive!) ripped holes in our mattress covers and plastic bags containing un-heated laundry. As soon as I noticed I doubled bagged them!

What's worst is I spotted 1 nymph (already full from feeding on me) in my sweater! I washed my sweater and all clothes we wore when we went to clean our old apartment.

Now I'm freaked out! I think I brought them with me!

I dusted the apartment with DE (mainly the edge of the hardwood floors), bed frame, and bookshelf again! No signs of other bed bugs, but I'm feeling paranoid thinking they're on me.

We just moved in yesterday and I don't want to freak our new apartment manager out.

Should we continue pretreating the place?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 11 2013 20:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, facing up to a new landlord saying that you just brought bed bugs in is no picnic. I'm not an expert and not sure if inspection right now will yield enough information. Given time, BB will try and migrate toward where they can be near a resting host (you, in bed, you on couch). If you worked right with the DE (as per FAQ), that's likely to help you, somewhat, as BB cross over the treated areas. DE need only be applied once. One thing not to do is worry about your electronics. Experts note that BB usually do not harbor there and besides, you've already brought them to your new place.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14