Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How to pack and store Nuvan strips with shoes, purses, and books?

(3 posts)
  1. notthisagain553

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 19:35:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to use Nuvan strips to treat my shoes, purses and books. Unfortunately, this is my second time treating bed bugs, and last time I sprayed those items with alcohol or threw them in the dryer, which ruined quite a few of them. I figured this would be the best way to clean my items without damaging them. I combed through the forums' posts but I still have a few questions.

1. How do you close and seal a big contracter bag for this?

I can't really use the large ziploc bags because I have a lot of stuff, and I don't really have the floor space to store that many. I'm also worried about my heels and books poking holes through the ziplocs (I know the contracter bags will survive). Or should I just bite the bullet and get airtight boxes (thinking about the Sterilite with gaskets on Amazon)?

2. How full should the bags be?

I know I'm not supposed to pack the bags too tightly for airflow, but can someone give me some more detail? Should it be halfway or 3/4 full and make sure things are loose (how loose? an inch or so in between)? Has anyone used them on purses and shoes before? How do you make sure the vapors get in every nook and cranny, especially inside tall boots and the little interior pockets of purses?

3. Where should I put the bags once they're sealed?

Many posts say you can't even put them in the same building you live in, though some said you can't be in the room for more than 3 hours. Which is it? I was thinking of keeping them in my closet (which is in the opposite corner from my bed and has a door) while they're closed and then bringing them outside to air out when I open them. If I close them properly, the vapors shouldn't be able to get out, right? Again, I don't really have a lot of space to work with. The next best place would be my garage/basement (which we just walk through twice a day), but I don't want to carry trash bags of infested stuff through my house any more than I have to.

Also... they're supposed to last 4 months. I was going to lock them in ziploc bags once I'm done with them and keep them, juuust in case I need them again (hopefully not!).

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 22:13:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Most people here aren't qualified to answer questions about this product. Always follow label instructions (of course) but you can message user P Bello with specific questions as he has a connection with the manufacturers and has offered to answer them in the past.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed_bug_sufferer

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 1 2013 22:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I, too, am a bed bug sufferer. I haven't tried the Nuvan strips yet but I was planning on using them on my bookcases and furniture that I could fit into big contractor bags. In the meantime I've been using Pack-Tite for heat treatment. Heat treatment is one of the few things that absolutely kill bed bugs. I have been using mine for books, electronics, bedclothes, shoes, etc. I think that would probably be the best thing for your possessions. I ended up getting mine used online and it's worked for me. It's time intensive but worth the price to have a little piece of mind. I would suggest getting the Pack-Tite and then using the ziploc and constructors bags to store things in. Just a suggestion. I hope it helps or that you've already been bug-free for a while! Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19