Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

How to move SAFELY out of our apartment.

(3 posts)
  1. eatenAlive19

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 9:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

So...we broke our lease since our apartment has bed bugs. Now we just need to know how to move out safely.

I plan on leaving essentially everything behind except for the pots and pans and picture frames. How do we sanitize the things we do plan on taking? How do we make sure we don't carry them out with us on our clothing?

My boyfriend and I have been staying at my mom's house for the past 2 weeks, bite free (I react pretty quickly to bites). I had a nightmare last night that they were all over me...and I woke up with 3 bites on my hand. I started bawling and nearly puked because I am so sickened by this mess.

I am losing my mind. I think I am going to schedule an appointment with my doctor for anti-anxiety medication. I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight.

I don't know how we brought them with us because we practically fried all of our clothing and put it on fresh and walked straight out the door.

Anyways...any tips on how not to bring this hell along with us into our new place would be wonderful.

One more question: packtite or a steamer? I can only afford one and I am not sure which one is more effective.

Sigh.

Thanks so much for being here, guys. I don't feel as crazy knowing I am not the only one. You all are so supportive. Keep it up.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 13:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is an FAQ here on decontaminating items:

http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

It should enable you to work out what are the best options for each item/category of items.

With regards steamer or PackTite that's a bit like saying preventative or take the risk. Steamers are great for dealing with infestations but you cant really use them to decon your possessions, they are really a reactive tool while processing your items to kill bedbugs is proactive.

I would also suggest than when you make the move you look at Passive Monitoring and possibly the optimisation of the environment as per the guide I have written as taking those steps could mean dealing with a future exposure becomes as simple as inspecting, cleaning and replacing the monitor.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I opnely disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. eatenAlive19

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 17:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the advice, David.

We are currently sleeping on an air mattress and I assume it's a single bug that has followed us as I have 3 small bites in a cluster on my hand.

I plan on deep cleaning and setting it up in a cheap metal frame (I realize you recommend wood, but I don't have $$$) and putting interceptors under the legs to hopefully catch it and that will be the end of that.

Is it too late to put a passive monitor at the head of the air mattress (half under and half poking out)?

Thank you for all that you do.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,774 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01