Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

How to know for sure if carpet beetles are the cause?

(14 posts)
  1. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 12:07:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So my PCO inspection came up clean for bedbugs (and no other bugs found). I have seen carpet beetles in my apt and am aware of how the hairs of larvae can cause an allergic reaction that can be like bed bugs bites. I have lived in my place for several years and have seen carpet beetles from time to time and have never had the bites/symptoms I'm getting now, so I doubt CB's are the cause. Also, my bites are never rash-like or itchy, which is how the larvae-hair allergic reaction is most commonly described. I have never knowingly seen larvae and the PCO didn't find any beetles or larvae on his inspection. How can you know with a reasonable degree of certainty if CB's are to blame?

My understanding is that CB's are fairly common and it is normal to see some in homes, yet there are cases of people attempting and having extreme difficulty trying to exterminate them...so I'm pretty confused about how concerning the presence of CB's should be.

2. connorosull

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 12:30:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same boat. An apartment close to mine is infested but it isn't adjoining and on the entire other side of the building. For 9 weeks ive been getting "BITES" but I also see carpet beetles occasionally but not enough to throw myself into the path. I have no known signs of bed bugs besides the bites that me and my girlfriend have had so i'm still very concerned especially because there are bugs in the building. People keep telling me without signs I don't have bed bugs even if someone in my building has them.

PCO also told me no bugs after a short inspection.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 13:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

It might be something that a dermatologist or allergist can tackle, worth giving them a call and asking.
    Ten years ago my allergies spiked for no apparent reason, might be something similar in your case since you've been in the same location for a period of time.
    No bed bugs is a good thing, but not knowing is a pain in the ass.

4. connorosull

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 13:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 33 minutes ago  » 
    It might be something that a dermatologist or allergist can tackle, worth giving them a call and asking.
    Ten years ago my allergies spiked for no apparent reason, might be something similar in your case since you've been in the same location for a period of time.
    No bed bugs is a good thing, but not knowing is a pain in the ass.

Dummy, thats been the issue with me. I understand that you are trying to help so I apologize for some probably ridiculous stretches I tried to make. I have a neighbor who has confirmed BB's that lives in the same building and it really made my anxiety 1000 million times worse. That being said still no evidence besides reactions from me and my girlfriend.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 14:29:40
    #

Login to Send PM

And how long has it been in your case?
    EDIT
    Ah, nine weeks.
    Remember, if it eats it shits, there will be evidence after nearly two months. I would expect a decent size population after that amount of time as long as regular feeding was available. Unchecked growth would show many cast skins and fecal deposits in the common areas of your bedding and possibly living room furniture if in frequent use.

6. connorosull

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 14:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 5 minutes ago  » 
    And how long has it been in your case?
    EDIT
    Ah, nine weeks.
    Remember, if it eats it shits, there will be evidence after nearly two months. I would expect a decent size population after that amount of time as long as regular feeding was available. Unchecked growth would show many cast skins and fecal deposits in the common areas of your bedding and possibly living room furniture if in frequent use.

Yes i moved in 9 weeks ago. I sleep on average 8 hours a night mainly in my bed. I sometimes fall asleep on my couch as well but im utilizing those 2 areas about 10-12 hours a day and have found NO visual evidence. I'm finally allowing myself to breathe but having neighbors recently infested is obviously a new trigger but I am finally starting to be rational. I still have 0 evidence. Thanks for all your help. And by common areas would I be able to see these stains on the actual mattress or pillows of couch? Also regular feeding I would assume is available although some nights I move between my couch and bed in the middle of the night but I always sleep on one or the other so I would assume normal feeding is occurring.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 14:50:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The couch depends on the style, the edge along the top of the back as well as the seams at the ends of the armrests and the top of the armrests. The cushions don't provide enough protection, think of something semi-rigid that a bed bug could squeeze into.
    But the PCO who inspected knows all of this and came up with nothing. Proving a negative is annoying, yeah?

8. connorosull

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 15:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 11 minutes ago  » 
    The couch depends on the style, the edge along the top of the back as well as the seams at the ends of the armrests and the top of the armrests. The cushions don't provide enough protection, think of something semi-rigid that a bed bug could squeeze into.
    But the PCO who inspected knows all of this and came up with nothing. Proving a negative is annoying, yeah?

When the PCO came I was only sleeping in bed that time and sitting no where else in my house for more than 30 minutes. The couch started when I started getting the reactions. That being said after 9/10 week I would still think i'd be finding signs correct? The PCO came about two weeks after the issue started but only checked my bedroom. To be fair though this was where I was spending the majority of my time.

9. connorosull

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 22:23:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Dummy, just did a basic couch check and found nothing out of the ordinary. What does it mean by regular feeding. I have split time between couch and bed. Those are literally the only 2 spots in my apartment that I sit or sleep. Am i messing up regular feeding without knowing because some nights I am on the couch and others I am in bed. For example some nights I sleep 6 hours on the couch and 2 in bed. And vice vera. That being said I do about 75% of my sleeping in bed. Do you think this is making it uneasy for them to feed if I have them? Should i try ONLY sleeping in my bed? Thanks

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 7:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You're overthinking this, you're not feeding a pet or a family member that's on a set schedule. Regular feedings are roughly once a week, so were there bed bugs in your home they'd be quite happy with the situation. Interrupting would be if you were a flight attendant.
    All indications point clearly to no bed bugs in your home.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 8:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Carpet beetles was first identified as an issue through field observations. i.e. in cases where there were no visual signs of bedbugs and Passive Monitors remained clear removal of the debris of the carpet beetles resolved the cases.

On one occasion I was lucky enough to be standing in front of a person who claimed they could feel the "bites" and was able to remove a single CB hair from the skin that she pointed to.

So when we inspect and don't find any:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

We monitor to be 100% certain and state that we are 99% certain its CB's rather than invisible bedbugs.

If you cant find BB's but find CB's and keep dragging yourself kicking and screaming tot he mistaken belief that you MUST have bedbugs its well worth spending some time with a therapy professional to unpack that and getting it running a little smoother in your life. Think of it as he same as getting a trainer when you start a new skill as so few of us actually hatch out of eggs with the skills being present naturally.

I have provided many writings and resources on the subject, time to pop the headphones in and start working through them.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  12. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 10:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I am becoming more accepting of the likelihood that I don't have BB's. I have read much of what you have written about CB's and also searched the forum. This is what I'm having trouble with in determining if my case may be CB related:

- I have seen the occasional CB in my home for years and not had any of my current symptoms.
    - I have hardwood floors, with low-pile area rugs in the living room and office, and am always barefoot. This should be low/minimal static differential, correct?
    - PCO didn't find any CBs, larvae or related debris.

Do you make anything of these details? Considering these details and without confirmed existing CB debris, is there anything I can still try to investigate CB's as the possible cause -- e.g. vacuuming + deionzed water treatment of the rugs?

In your observance of CB "bites", has there been any sort of pattern worth considering to support ID, e.g. frequency and location on body?

I'm also confused about the general presence of CB's. I have read and heard that it is fairly normal to find CBs in homes and they aren't a concern unless seen in high numbers. On the other hand, I have read forum posts where people make it sound like they are as bad as BB's and seeing any CB's should require serious attention and immediate extermination treatment.

13. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 11:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I am becoming more accepting of the likelihood that I don't have BB's. I have read much of what you have written about CB's and also searched the forum. This is what I'm having trouble with in determining if my case may be CB related:

- I have seen the occasional CB in my home for years but have never experienced my current symptoms.
    - I am in moderate humidity, have hardwood floors (low-pile area rugs in the living room and office), and am always barefoot. This should be low/minimal static differential conditions, correct?
    - PCO didn't find any CBs, larvae or related debris.

Do you make anything of these details? Having seen CB’s before but without confirmed existing CB debris, is there anything that can/should be tried to investigate CB's as the possible cause (vacuum + deionzed water treatment of the rugs?)?

In your observance of CB "bites", has there been any sort of pattern worth considering to support CB's vs BB's, e.g. frequency and location on body?

I'm also confused about the general presence of CB's. I have read and heard that it is fairly normal to find CBs in homes and they aren't a concern unless seen in high numbers. On the other hand, I have read cases where it sounds like they are as bad as BB's and seeing any CB's should require serious attention and immediate extermination treatment.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 15:50:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you have done the logical thing and monitored and its been more than 14 days and its clear you don't have bedbugs.

Now the lack of a current CB larval skin does not rule out CB but neither does it confirm it. It does however also not exclude other insect hairs and other organic material that can have a similar action.

In normal life I would have the huge advantage of being present in the location to look for the micro clues and to literally feel the environmental conditions of the location. I can assure you its frustrating for both of us and so often these are things that if only I were there I could work out in minutes and you don't have the next 16+ years to develop the same skill set (if that were event possible).

In your situation I would avoid attempting to fit symptoms to cause (the bite question) and would simply invest $20-$35 on a water based air purifier to see if that resolves the issue by physically removing anything that might be airborne.

The issue is more complex than the CB's themselves. not many people actually react to them at an immunological level, the issue is most commonly the secondary factors. This is because the issue can be as much about the hole in the skin left behind and what enters that as the material that caused the hole int he first place. This itself makes the issue more complex because its not binary, its variable and the industry is not set up to deal with field based observations and learning in this way.

Equally I will never accept responsibility for the "angry dinosaur" snowflake "you don't understand-ism" which are so prolific on the tinterwebz. I am sure you can appreciate there are more of them out there spreading stupid advice than those who are actually willing to stop and actually research. The simple reality is that around here those who follow the CB advice stop posting. I am willing to bet and my mate Occam has a few sheckles on this one that its because the advice resolves their issue rather than them having invisible bedbugs.

In my world as a higher function spectral type I can assure you "invisible bedbugs" more commonly turn out to be either the common and obvious non BB issues I have extensively written about and provided primers about in the advanced educational section of my site or are the one in 20 million type occurrences which are routinely discounted and only proven when I have something to actually see in front of me. It's the key part of the spectral behavior I can't do something when I know I can or could do something better. It puts me at odds with the shillers and snake oil types but then I don't show as much displacement behaviour so the world is safer.

If it helps to be super blunt, if you keep pulling yourself back to bedbugs you will only distract yourself from the true cause and that's a lot of spoons to waste.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest