How to kill BB in vacuum bags?

(6 posts)
  1. Ross123

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 11:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My vacuum bags are kind of expensive HEPA bags and I don't want to throw them out after each use of the vacuum - sometimes I just want to quickly vacuum a small item like my shoes.
    So far to save on bags, after each usage, I open the vacuum and duct tape the sucking hole of the bag, then remove it before usage. I can also put the vacuum bag in ziploc bag in the oven set to 150 degrees which will kill them but I'm looking for something less involved than these methods. I remember watching a video where PCO guy using a vacuum put some dust in the vacuum bag but for the life of me I can't find that video again.
    Is there some substance that is safe for humans but can kill BBs in vacuum bags?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 11:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think this is a situation where PackTite or DVVP stripes would be your safest options, I am not a fan of using ovens for the obvious fire risks.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 12:10:07
    #

Login to Send PM

That "dust" is probably DE and I could see how it could work. I've also read that talcum powder might work (you suck some up with the vac) but don't know if any scientific basis. I did the same thing you did (with the duct tape) but kinda a PITA and once forgot to remove the tape, then started the vacuum, and what a mess! I would go for PackTite as it should only take an hour once it heats up.

Richard

4. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 12:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If you only want to vacuum a small item, I imagine you would be using the hose. Someone here posted that you can put a stocking inside the hose and clamp on accessory tool and when you're done just throw away the stocking in a sealed bag.

Don't know if this is cheaper than vacuum cleaner bags, but if you have some old hosiery that you want to dispose of, this method would be cost effective.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 14:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Fine abrasive dusts might damage your vacuum cleaner.
    Mark Sheperdigian's "stocking" method for keeping bugs out of the cleaner is illustrated in the Michigan guide, which every American concerned with BB should read.
    http://goo.gl/8w9PU

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Ross123

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 0:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips everyone,
    I like the stocking idea and will try it next time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982