How to get rid of bed bugs cheaply?

(8 posts)
  1. depressedandannoyed

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2016 0:24:01
    #

Login to Send PM

This is my second time dealing with bed bugs. I know for sure they're bed bugs. The last time I dealt with them we had a professional come in and heat the entire home...twice. We just can't afford it this time. Our money is just absolutely tapped. I've been spraying Raid under the baseboards of my room where I believe they're coming from since I live in half a double home. What, if anything, can I do to try and get rid of these things on a somewhat low budget?

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2016 3:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Here is a link to one of the FAQ dealing with diy for bedbugs
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/01/08/faq-should-i-do-my-own-pest-control/
    There is other info too on the FAQ pages so do as much reading up as you need to get a plan of action.
    It is possible to get rid of them yourself if you are carefully and spend the time to do it properly. There are no half measures as you can spread them by incorrect treatment. Read first.
    You cannot abandon bedrooms or areas where they are as they will just move to be near you
    Just keep asking questions when you need to

3. BBNL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 7:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of info on steamer + Cimexa and/or DE on this site. Definitely write down your list of steps first!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 9:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you search you will find a protocol I wrote called TbyPMR (Treatment by Passive Monitor Replacement) which will help resolve small issues and also teaches you why you got bed bugs in the first place which can be essential to avoiding repeated treatments.

It is possible for people to deal with this on their own but they have to be prepared to put in the work and gain the experience (through reading) before they start to treat.

In your case step 1 is to stop using raid as it only makes the matter harder to deal with through dispersal.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Livingagain

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2016 10:38:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a story about a field trial for Cimexa. It details the really good outcome and how the researchers applied the Cimexa. http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/ The article mentions that in order to help consumers the researchers should put together instructions about how to use the Cimexa. As far as I could tell they haven't put those instructions together, yet, but you get a pretty good description in the article.

If I were self treating, I would definitely use this Cimexa field trial as a starting point. And you could do other things that seem beneficial, too, like steaming if you can, even using Climb ups all over the place is supposed to be able to help really small infestations. Tough, tough situation, I wish I had more to give you.

6. MS-guy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 13:27:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This stuff works. It stinks - yes - but it works. Treatment works for 3 weeks. Count on the smell being detectable by you for about 4-5 weeks. But, it works. The cost is well worth it.

I would recommend getting the concentrate. The RTU spray comes in a base which will mess with your finish on wood furniture.

This is a natural based oil and is considered safe by the EPA. So, you can spray it anywhere.

cirkil.com

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 14:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

First - have you found any actual evidence to post here for proper ID?

8. MS-guy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 14:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, if you live in a double home - treating half of it won't work. They will continue living in the half you do not treat and will return....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123