Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

How to get over having bed bugs

(25 posts)
  1. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 8:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I'm new here. I was treated for bed bugs about 2.5 weeks ago, chemical treatment in the UK. Since the treatment I discarded the old bed, bedding curtains rug everything was creeping me out. I got a new bed which I encased, got climb up interceptors and isolated my bed. Since the treatment I found 2 baby unfed bugs on the floor that I dispossed off. The exterminator is coming back on Tuesday to do my second spray. The thing is now I'm a nervous wreck I can't sleep I lie in bed watching TV then think I feel something there's nothing there but then that's me I have to get up and do something. Does anyone have any tips to get through this? I hope I'll feel better after the exterminator comes back but a lack of sleep and jumping out my skin at absolutely every spec of fluff is really getting me down.

2. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 11:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I totally understand this. I recently found bed bugs in 3 locations in my house. I called my land lord and was sprayed yeasterday by the exterminator. When I first found them I cried for 3 days and have since then been having a ton of anxiety and a few panic attacks thrown in for good mesure. I think what makes bed bugs scary it that they take a bit of time to get rid of and can be costly. It is not impossible and can be conquered. I am in the early phases of gathering, washing and drying everything. I feel overly paranoid and embarassed. And very very over whelmed. You are not alone. Just breathe. Thats is what ai try to do.

3. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 11:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks LadyS, I'm sorry your going through this too it's awful. I felt the exact same embarrassed and panicky. Hopefully time will help us both get rid of them and get back to feeling more ourselves. I was so overwhelmed by it all I wrote lists I know it sounds weird but having a list of all the things I had to do, clean, steam etc and ticking them off made me feel a bit more in control. For me it's the fact I dont know where they came from and I'm petrified they'll come back but I'm doing everything I can and following tips on here to try and make sure it doesn't happen

4. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 14:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think the anxiety ever really goes away. My hubby experienced BBs years ago in another city, and when we went to the hospital to have our son, we saw a bedbug there. The look of complete terror on his face was honestly funny at the time. "It's just a little bug, relax!" Unfortunately we had already brought most of our bags home...and some new friends. We didn't discover them until 2 months after that hospital stay. (in the couch I had been sleeping on every night) We dragged the couch outside at 4am down a flight of stairs, the fear was real lol. We found 3 bugs the next day (2 in a swing liner, one newly hatched in our room) and my son had 1 bite after killing those. We've now treated and bagged every item in the house. (air tight bags also inside bins) we steamed every piece of furniture, and the baseboards/windowsills, and put down a ridiculous amount of DE. We're moving at the end of the month. Nobody has been bit or seen a bug in over a month now, and I STILL jump and swat at every hair that touches my shoulder. I ordered new beds, a new couch, and a new kitchen table...all other furniture is being thrown out when we move. I can't bring it...everyone says I should, but I just can't. I also intend to treat the new house before we bring anything in, just in case. My bites looked a lot like mosquito bites. There was a mosquito in my kitchen last night and I had a full out panic attack. I'm not going to have any freaking idea whether or not we're being bit. That had never occurred to me. At the worst part of the anxiety right after we found them I honestly considered going to the hospital...but that's where they came from. HELL NO. lol that's my luck for ya. Long story short, you're not alone. These stupid little things can definitely cause a lot of anxiety lol.

5. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 16:59:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you bugsareicky knowing that other people feel the same helps in a weird way. I'm hoping after the second spray I might start to feel a bit more in control right now I just want to cry I'm so panicky all the time mainly I think because im exhausted from not sleeping properly. I'm going to stay with my mum for a few days while the second treatment's being done. I've been super carefully dried everything I'm taking in the tumble drier and put it in zip lock bags and bought a new suitcase. I'm hoping a few days break will recharge me a bit so I can back home and try to get back to something resembling normality or at least not spray every bit of fluff in my flat. I haven't seen an adult bug in over 2 weeks. I hope your move goes well and you can get settled into your new place and hopefully put this horrible time behind you. I can't imagine how your dealing with this with a baby.

6. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 20:03:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you I have a baby and a 6 year old. Luckily I was sleeping on the couch and was the only one really being bit. 6yr old was bit only once the night we threw the couch out...hubby and baby not at all, or they don't react at all. That first week was rough though. I was terrified to put the kids to bed not really knowing how many BBs were left. I suspect now that most were in the couch. We cleared the whole apartment over a month ago and only ever found 3 more the day we treated/bagged/steamed EVERYTHING. I still haven't removed the DE though...not sure I ever will lol. I'm paranoid, but not feeling nearly as anxious as I was before. I suspect you'll feel a LOT better after a good sleep at your mum's. I know I felt a million times better after getting some real sleep. Truthfully I think the lack of sleep is definitely more dangerous than the bugs themselves. It's strange how a little bug can make a person SO anxious lol. Somehow knowing other people freaked out too made me feel a little better. My life was still a mess, but at least I wasn't crazy. lol

7. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 20:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

It's definitely helped knowing I'm not going crazy I think my brother's think I've proper lost it but it's so hard to explain to people how it makes you feel without turning into a blubering mess. I'm glad your wee ones didn't get bitten badly. I get why you wouldn't remove the de it's like a safety blanket for us in a war with some stupid bugs

8. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 20:28:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's definitely helped knowing I'm not going crazy I think my brother's think I've proper lost it but it's so hard to explain to people how it makes you feel without turning into a blubering mess. I'm glad your wee ones didn't get bitten badly. I get why you wouldn't remove the de it's like a safety blanket for us in a war with some stupid bugs

9. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat May 5 2018 21:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I can understand how you feel. I don't think that I will ever get through this. Every little tiny speck I see I think that it may be an egg. I first discovered BB about a month ago. I tried treating myself, first, as really can not afford the professional treatment. However, I decided that this was way bigger than I could handle. I had my first spray treatment, last week. He told me that he will return, next week and spray again. He does not think that we need a third treatment. I think it is worse than that, and will need a third treatment after all. For one, not everyone is anal as I in making sure things are sealed, yet. My husband gave me a lot of grief about bagging up his clothes. He put clothes back in rawer before they were treated in drier. My adult daughter is here everyday on my sofa.(It was full of them) There is a possibility that she is the source. I have no clue to where they actually came from. I would like to go to her house and check. I am just so busy taking care of this house. I think that she must have them because she stayed on my sofa for several months before I discovered we had BB. (heating problems at her old apartment. She stayed here in between getting a new place) I don't believe that she knows what and where to look. I just learned how to look for them better, myself. At first, I could not find any signs on sofa.

I made the big mistake of using a replant at first. I learned that I may have caused them to go to my husband's and mother's room. And, they may have followed me, when I came downstairs to sleep for a bit.

I figured that we must have them because I moved to sofa after I found in my bed. Yeah, I learned that was a bad move. after the fact. I threw away a good bed. We threw away my husband's bed, too. No great loss, there. (my husband and I slept separate due to different schedules) Funny, now we are sleeping together again in an airbed. I will buy a new bed after I feel some relief.

Also, in my mother's bed. We encased her mattress and box springs.

I started to put some clothes in drawers as PCO said it was okay. I still do not feel comfortable about that. I still do not have all of the clothes thrown in the drier. I have been working nonstop in the house, since I discovered all of this. I have all clothes double bagged in basement. Everyday, I am running clothes in dryer. Plus, I do my mothers laundry, frequently. She is incontinent, so I always have done her laundry every few days. She has dementia, and I take total care of her.

The work involved with all of this is wiping me out. I fear that we will never rid of them. Nobody else is concerned like I am. They believe that I am nuts. I have read horror stories about how hard they are to get rid of.

I look forward to a life without BB. And, hope that someday I will no longer have a fear about them. This is the worst! I have gone through bouts of head lice with my children and grandson. I would gladly have those over these, any day. At least, you know, they are not hiding out in baseboard.

10. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun May 6 2018 4:35:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bbplagued I can't imagine having to go through this whole thing while looking after other people too. I think when you have time checking your daughter's apartment sounds like a good idea for your peace of mind. I hope you get some rest and feel better after the 2nd treatment. I'm hoping that'll help me

11. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun May 6 2018 11:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleep does make a huge difference. I finally got some and feel recharged to tackle this issue. They only just bugs. They are a pest. A wise woman compared them to mosquitoes without wings. Even in my ealy phases of this battle I have learned sleep is important. When we become sleep deprived we make mistakes. We can do this! Down with the bugs!

12. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun May 6 2018 14:14:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you LadyS I think once the pco comes for the follow up this week i might start to be more comfortable sleeping just now if I can get to sleep I wake up in a stupid panicking and just have to get up. I've had no new bites no signs on the bed or bedroom it's just stupid anxiety I know in my head they can't hurt me and I'm not Normally a panicky person but this has got me so on edge

13. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun May 6 2018 14:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

UK1306 - I would try to take a nap somewhere. (In the car? On a towel in the park or at the beach? Visit a family member that knows the situation?) it's crazy how much a little sleep can help. If you just can't get the rest you need at home, try to find another way. Losing sleep will just lead to more anxiety, which leads to less sleep...it's a vicious cycle. Get some rest some way, do whatever you gotta do lol. You need to continue sleeping in your bed at night to keep the bugs from spreading, but if that isn't enough sleep, you can definitely take a nap somewhere else.

14. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun May 6 2018 15:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bugsareicky I'm getting my second treatment on Tuesday afternoon so going to stay at my mum's that night and maybe the next just to try and get a proper sleep. Hopefully once the pco has been this time I'll start to feel a bit more reassured and less anxious

15. UK1306

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon May 7 2018 4:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered me support and advice in the past few days I managed to get a better sleep last night I was still jumpy at every noise but I managed more sleep than I've had until now and I feel much more rational today. Thanks again everyone x

16. LadyS

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue May 8 2018 11:13:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you have your second treatment done? How do you feel today?

17. UK1306

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 3:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi LadyS, pco came for the second treatment yesterday afternoon he was so reassuring and pleased. Didn't see any signs of bugs but he did a second spray and put a residual (I think that's what it's called) round my entire flat and in all the little cracks and spaces. I came to stay at my mum's for a few days to escape the chemicals and for the first time in weeks slept well. I think it'll be easier when I go home as he didn't find any in my new bed and said I'd isolated it well with the interceptors. I think it'll take time to get back to normal and not spray any bit of fluff I find or jump when a hair tickles me in my sleep but I'll take it a day at a time and try to get more into a normal routine. There's never a good time for bed bugs but with having exams and assignments due at uni my stress levels were through the roof. How are you feeling? How's your treatment going?

18. LadyS

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 11:01:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My treatment is going. Still finding bugs here and there in my sofa, but not many (1 so far). Found a few eggs on my box spring, but not much else. My son's room is still the worst, however there is a big improvement there, but not enough to settle my nerves completely. I am going to vaccume all the rooms, beds, and sofas agaon today. I am still drying all my all my clean clothes and bagging and sorting them to either be stored in the basement or to come back up stairs again. This task has been a bit slow going because I work, but I'm off the next 3 days and plan on knocking it out today. The hardest part has been living life like normal and not changing my daily or sleeping patterns. I promised myselflg I'd sit on my sofa today! I am thinking about tossing my son's bed out. It's a captians bed. It's all wood and paricle board and those little buggers LLLLOOOOVVVEEE that, but I'm not doing anything until I talk to the pco when I make them come out again, yea I have to make them. Honestly the hardest part is putting my son back in his bed. He's been sleeping with me the last few nights because of my work schedule and everything that's been going on. I know realistically he has to be in his room too draw the bugs out so they go over the chemicals and die off. I understand it I just don't like it. Feeling a bit more positive. I still have major concerns over my PCO I really need to make that a separate post though see if it's just me or if there's a problem. I am really glad things are going well for you! You got this! Also good luck with exams, you'll do great.

19. UK1306

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 11:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Id definitely start a new thread on your pco if your unsure of them. I luckily found an amazing one and it really makes a difference when you feel reassured by them. I can't imagine how hard it is with your son and his bed, i was lucky that my landlord told me just to chuck it and get a new one my pco did say that he would treat it and then I could steam it but it was old. I hope your pco is able to get it sorted out for your soon x

20. Worried1

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu May 10 2018 22:23:37
    #

Login to Send PM

It is really hard to get over having them. I had them twice in the past, a few years apart, (I suspect them again now, but not sure yet), and I never stopped being extra vigilant, throwing clothes in the wash as soon as I get home from work, not wearing street clothes in the bedroom, etc. I did eventually start sleeping through the night again, stop inspecting everything, and even get new pretty bedding (which I of course laundered before using it, lol). I honestly feel like people who have not been through this just don’t get how awful it is and how it changes you. Ignorance is bliss, and I wish I could still be ignorant too. Anyway I completely understand what you are saying and I’m glad we can be here to support each other.

21. UK1306

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri May 11 2018 3:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you worried1 having this forum has been amazing to find tips on things to do. I've been staying at my mum's for a few nights while the pco was in for the 2nd treatment I'm dreading going home tomorrow but I need to get back into a routine as I've got uni work to do. I think I've decided even if I don't sleep I'm going to make myself do things every day I've been isolating myself and not wanting to go out anywhere partly due to tiredness and partly due to feeling embarrassed by it all. My mum's been amazing supporting me and letting me vent but your so right unless you have had them it's so difficult to explain to people how freaked out these wee bugs make you feel. It's like it takes over your life and you have to adapt everything you do to either clean and make sure there gone or change your routine to make sure everything's dried and sealed the night before so I feel ok wearing clothes the next day. I hope you don't have them for a 3rd time I can't imagine how worried you are feeling

22. UK1306

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 5:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All, just wanted to provide an update. Pco came out a week ago and was surprised / happy that he couldn't find any signs of bugs. He did a residual spray and was supportive of me isolating my new bed. I haven't seen any bugs no new bites and nothing in the climb ups so far. Fingers crossed there gone, still have problems sleeping in the room but I'm hoping it'll get a bit easier as each new day goes by. Thanks again for all your support I really appreciate it

23. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 21:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

What does isolating your bed mean? I had my second treatment today. My husband was here and told me that PCO found them in the legs of the sofa. My daughter had found a few live ones, yesterday. Also, she found one last week. He supposedly told my husband that we did not need to get a new sofa. On the other hand, he told my husband, they are hard to get rid of in sofas. So, I don't know, I am a bit leery. I still think we need a new sofa. I am just afraid of getting a new one, and it getting infested with BB.

He said the rest of the house seemed clear. He said that we should be good now. Unless, we see any activity, he is done. But, for us to call him if we see any.

If we see anymore on this sofa, then I am definitely done with it.

I just do not have the confidence my husband does. I don't think we have seen the last of them. And, I really want to be wrong about this. However, I don't think so. This experience has really put me over the edge.

24. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 21:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

What does isolating your bed mean? I had my second treatment today. My husband was here and told me that PCO found them in the legs of the sofa. My daughter had found a few live ones, yesterday. Also, she found one last week. He supposedly told my husband that we did not need to get a new sofa. On the other hand, he told my husband, they are hard to get rid of in sofas. So, I don't know, I am a bit leery. I still think we need a new sofa. I am just afraid of getting a new one, and it getting infested with BB.

He said the rest of the house seemed clear. He said that we should be good now. Unless, we see any activity, he is done. But, for us to call him if we see any.

If we see anymore on this sofa, then I am definitely done with it.

I just do not have the confidence my husband does. I don't think we have seen the last of them. And, I really want to be wrong about this. However, I don't think so. This experience has really put me over the edge.

25. UK1306

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed May 16 2018 4:44:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bbplagued, there's differing opinions on isolating furniture but my pco was for it. I moved my bed away from the wall, got climb up interceptors for the legs and made sure my bed wasn't touching any other furniture it's ment to stop any bugs being able to get in the bed. I got a new bed after my first treatment mainly because my bed was ancient and needed replaced anyway. I hope you've seen the last of them. I totally get the being on edge I was a nervous wreck for weeks I'm still struggling to get to sleep but I'm hoping with time it'll get easier

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,694 posts in 44,823 topics over 137 months by 19,675 of 20,380 members. Latest: fish77, Chevycolt15, bedbugbugs