How to get bed bug products in Australia

(14 posts)
  1. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jul 10 2015 4:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

We had bed bugs a few months ago and are still in monitoring phase. We had enormous difficulty getting proper PCO treatment (were sceptical that they needed to do a repeat treatment, did not do an inspection, were reluctant to give a warranty) and made comments like 'oh bed bugs, we don't get them much here' (Canberra, a city of people from elsewhere and tourists!).
    So this forum has been so helpful to us as opposed to all the people here in denial!
    Bed Bug Barrier has supplied me with floor barriers and DE, and I have encased our mattresses.
    However DE is really slow and I Really would like to use other more effective products like , zappbug, pack tire, Cirkil/Proof, and Cimexa. But none of these are available which is so frustrating.
    Does anyone know, if I asked a friend to personally bring Cirkil or Cimexa in the U.S. for me, would it be allowed through Customs? Apparently US law prevents them being mailed to me.

2. melbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 2 2015 5:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm having similar (frustrating) issues dealing with bedbugs in Melbourne.

Did you have any luck sourcing any of those products? Please let me know how if so...

Thanks

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 2 2015 13:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the best bed bug resources is the Australian Bed Bug Code of Practice (download here) from Stephen Doggett.
    It will give you an idea of what options are available there and Doggetr gives sources for some products like encasements in his appendix.

You can also email product manufacturers to find out if products are sold there.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 1:33:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi melbug, I had no luck with most of the products I would have liked, but I was able to order and receive climbups (from Amazon) and David Cain's passive monitors (from Canada and UK). These products have been a godsend for my peace of mind, as they clearly show if the problem has actually been resolved or not. (I found the Bed Bug Barrier floor barriers did not fit my bed legs but I was able to use them on my daughter's bed and a bedside table).
    I contacted Cimexa directly through their website and they kindly got back to me and advised that their distributor is currently working on the approvals process, though it would appear that this would not be anytime soon. I also emailed Terramera who invented Circil/Proof but did not get a reply. However they have previously informed me that it is available in Walmart, so if you know of anyone in the US who is coming here, they could probably bring some Proof back. As it's neem oil I doubt it would be a problem.
    The other thing I did was get a plumber (a friend of the family) to remove the tempering valve off my electric hot water tank so I could wash in properly hot water. Before that it was costing me a small fortune going to laundromats etc.
    No ovens here though, unfortunately.
    I did get a tip from an expert here who was happy to advise but indicated that he only did hotels - he said the best chemical to use at present is Temprid, which they will have to spray at least twice, and to make sure they do NOT fog. And make sure they give you a warranty.
    Hope this helps.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 10:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, oz bugs! Very helpful.

6. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 19:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ozbugz which site did you get David Cain's passive monitors from? Did you find they were effective? Also are you in Sydney, if so can you recommend a decent PCO?

I've ordered protect a bed encasements, but taking a while to get to Sydney. It takes forever to get BB products here. The washing machine in my unit is the same washing machine as in laundromats and the water gets pretty hot. I'm going to measure the temp to see if it gets above 55 degrees. I've suspected I've had BB for ages, but getting the evidence is hard so I want to get the encasements on and try to find the evidence.

7. melbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 19:39:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Ozbug. That's helpful info - and sounds like you're pretty prepared !

I wish I had a plumber friend to help out with the hot water thing - laundromats are crazy expensive!

I have the bed bug barriers and DE. Also we got the place treated, although I don't know if I had total confidence in the pest control company. They did some kind of gas treatment where we had to leave the house for 24 hrs, with a follow up 2 weeks later.... is that what you mean by a fog? :/

Which site did you buy the passive monitors from?

8. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2015 18:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi benaussie and melbugs,
    Long post alert!
    I am not an expert but can tell you what I have learned. First, I am in Canberra and used a local firm who have a good reputation. However they seemed less than familiar with bed bugs. They were very nice, but very expensive. They also did not do a proper initial inspection. However they did do a really thorough spray. Unfortunately they used Tempo, even though they said they would use Temprid in line with information I had obtained and with which they agreed. They came back at my insistence two weeks later and sprayed with Temprid. I subsequently emailed them with ongoing concerns as I was still getting blood spots on my bed, and as I was still within the three month warranty they came and did a cursory inspection but did not find anything. Mind you, they did not even lift up my mattress, just shined a torch at a few skirting boards. I remained concerned and put down DE. I now have the monitors. All this was after a disastrous experience with another 'cowboy' firm who had sprayed with something that just seemed to make the bugs angry, and then gave me canisters of smoke bombs to DIY (which I thankfully did not use after seeing the info on this site).

benaussie, sorry I can't recommend any Sydney firm, but maybe you could ring around and see how teach would treat your place? If you are in a unit you probably should let your building manager know you are getting pest control in, and why - they may have a firm they usually use, and there may be some history in the building. Also if you are renting, it may be the landlord's responsibility to treat, but you would have to check that with your property manager/owner. I do know however that heat treatment is available in Sydney. I would have liked to use heat treatment but no one here does it.
    I have found the protect a bed encasements helpful.

melbug, hopefully your pest controller put what they used on your receipt? If not, I would call them and find out. Based on info on this site and more generally (eg in the Code of Practice), permethrins do nothing except repel bed bugs and drive them elsewhere, so hopefully it wasn't that!
    **Question for experts: re melbugs's experience above, what kind of pest control gas would require a person to stay out of their home for 24 hours? Would it be an effective treatment?**
    Passive monitors
    Sheree of Bed Bug Mutts in Canada came to my rescue through this forum and I ordered two BBAlert monitors through her, she was incredibly helpful. I am sure if you PM her she would help you out. It is not possible to get such items sent from USA, not sure why.
    I then ordered four more directly from Mr Cain's UK website http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ - I just went to the website and used the contact form. UK post was faster than Canadian and the UK parcel was tracked. It cost me 71 pounds for four and I was able to pay by paypal which did the conversion automatically. (BBAlert monitors and Packtite monitors are identical products, both are David Cain's monitors - I don't know why there are two names.)
    Pest strips
    I have also been able to get dichlorvos pest strips here - Killmaster Zero
    http://www.barmac.com.au/brochures/SCUB_PE_BR.pdf
    I had to order them through an agricultural supply shop here, Bellchambers, who had to order them in themselves (I recall that I found out the supplier by ringing barmac and asking who in my town would be able to order them from them). I used the strips on our luggage. You can get large clear Glad garbage bags from Bunnings in packs of 50.

Please let me know how you both go.

9. benaussie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2015 21:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Great thanks!! They have heat treatment in Sydney via rentokill but they say they don't do apartments as they tend to blow the fuse.

I'm living in a boarding house and they supposed to be responsible for bed bug treatments.I told the real estate that I suspect bed bugs and they said I would be responsible as they have been bought in. That was a few months ago. I complained to a guy from my local council and he said he would talk to the owner to see if he knows if there has been any other people with BBs, but that was over a month ago and hasn't gotten back to me. The owner of the property is hopeless and doesn't do basic repairs. I want to leave but worried if there are BB that I would take them with me

10. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2015 22:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

benaussie, I don't see how the real estate people can blame or charge you - the bugs could have been there when you moved in, or have come from an adjacent room, in which case you can blame them for lack of duty of care! Even if they *think* it was you, they would be hard pressed to prove it and it would be foolish of them not to treat properly, including adjoining rooms. And their inaction is just going to cause the problem to spread. Lots of people don't react to bites which is why not everyone knows they have bed bugs.
    Perhaps you should give the real estate people a copy of david cain's info sheet

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugslimitededucationalinformation.html

If you want to move, there are good FAQs on this site that will help you not take the bugs with you when you go.

11. melbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2015 6:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ozbugz - apologies for my very delayed reply, but thank you for your posts - they are incredibly helpful and I really appreciate the detailed advice! How is your battle going? Have you had any signs of them since the treatments?

I followed up with the PCO and they said they used a mixture of things including temprid, phantom, and some other things I can't remember now. I'm getting a third back up spray this week so will get them to write it down then, as well as the gas they used. So far though I haven't seen any bed bugs or bed bug signs in my apartment, so for a while I thought the treatments were successful. But I have had bites in the past week, at least I think I have, as my skin has starting reacting like it used to, so I am worried they are still around...

I did buy encasements and those leg coasters and DE from Bed Bug Barrier and set those up on the bed. I also have now ordered the passive monitors. I haven't ordered the strips yet - I am a little worried about them being safe to use? - but I think I will probably just bite the bullet and order them too.

12. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 7 2015 6:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Melbug
    I hope your bugs are gone, I personally found the passive monitors were helpful for monitoring whether there was still a problem. (So far it looks as if we might be resolved, finally. I am trying to think positive and get back to normal one step at a time.)
    You may not need the strips if the bugs were not in stuff other than clothing (which you can treat by putting in the dryer)?
    I wish you well and hope you are bug free!

13. melbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 18 2015 6:03:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you ozbugz - hope your bb problem is well and truly resolved

Just a quick update - I ended up buying the Killmaster pest strips from a business called E E Muir (for any Melbourne readers looking for stockists).

I decide to get them in the end because I now need to move house (eep!) and really don't want to take any chances. I'm planning to use them for books and shoes and anything else. Pretty nervous...

14. Lostinbedbuggery

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 27 2017 4:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi fellow melbournians! I can offer some help. If anyone's is in need of some Temprid 75 I can give some. Cheers

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail