Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How to efficiently treat items that can't be washed/ offsite treatment in NYC/NJ

(5 posts)
  1. jgsNJ

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2015 23:19:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,
    Firstly, thanks for this website! Please bear with me for the following explanation and ANYTHING will help.

I have a room in a house in NJ/NYC area and have two other roommates. I found a bug in my bed late Tuesday night. The PCO came this morning and ID'd it. We'll be doing two treatments for the bedrooms and my landlady (who also lives with us) wants it done as soon as possible (we're setting it up for this week). The instructions for clothing/linens is straightforward but what about items that can't go into the washer or dryer? When I moved here recently I downsized and have had to keep lots of crap (photos, knick knacks, kitchen ware) under my bed and I have no idea how to treat these things. They've been in tupperware containers, but our frequently move these around and take things out. I'm paranoid that something might have gotten in one of them. Plus, our PCO did not give any indication about what to do with shoes/purses/luggage/ or even books!

I have been going crazy looking up solutions. I don't have time to order a packtite and heat treat things before the PCO gets here. Not to mention, the packtite seems to have mixed reviews and people have said it drives up the electric bill (something else my landlady doesn't want). I can't seem to figure out if there are places in the area that will do belongings in an offsite chamber (Bed Bugs and Beyond says they offer this service, but they seems to have a poor reputation). There appear to be chambers for moving to new places, and chambers you can rent to keep at your place but a) I'm not moving anywhere and b) those chambers look huge! We don't have the yard space for those.

Does anyone know anything about offsite treatment this? My landlady wants my stuff taken care of (and wants it out of the house afterwards so we can easily vacuum) and I am so so stressed. She said worse comes to worse I need to take it all and seal it and store it but I don't know if I can pay for 18 months+ of storage. And most of all, I certainly don't want to throw anything away or send it off somewhere without treating it. That seems downright wrong.

Please help. I am so desperate and I don't know what to do. I've ben googling like crazy. Any recommendations for services in the area that treat things in chambers would be so greatly appreciated.

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2015 0:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

hang on the pro's will see your post & have some advice..I see you are very short on time.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2015 0:15:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear jgs,

There are a number of options with which you can successfully treat these items and render them bed bug free. I'm assuming you're looking for least costly options which you may be able to do yourself. Such considerations/options include but may not be limited to:

> Suspect infested items sealed into plastic containers or bags essentially seal in any bed bugs or eggs such that you can treat them when you have time.

> Heat treatment may be done using a self fashioned heat treatment chamber or you can purchase a commercially available unit for about $300 or more.

> Items may be placed in suitable sealed containers or plastic bags and successfully treated with pest strips.

For further information on the above search my published articles on these subjects.

Good luck ! pjb

4. jgsNJ

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2015 0:29:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I hadn't considered the strips!

5. hypervigilant

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2015 3:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

There's also Cirkil's rag in a bag approach Cirkil's rag in a bag, but apparently this product has a very bad smell. The theory is the same as pest strips - seal in a bag for a certain amount of time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325