Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

how to deal with mite bites? (Or post-BB mystery bites?)

(112 posts)
  1. sickandtired

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 1 2009 17:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I know most people on here are stressing and freaking about BBs, which I understand.

But I'm in the post-BB phase that seems never-ending, and I could really use some insight on how to deal with possible mites or the "post-BB mystery bite". I've been in my new place 6-8 months, I'm now 99.9 % sure I have no BBs that I moved with me (thanks to dog inspection). But still I keep getting these strange hive-like red marks or "bites" on my chest & back a few times a week or more. In the evenings especially, I get the crawly feelings while I'm working at my computer. Today in particular, it was a rainy humid morning, and I've got 3-4 large red marks on my chest upon waking.

I've been taking Claritin daily for about a month, I've got a cream from the derm, I shower twice daily, sprinkle menthol talc on my skin, am still vacuuming/laundering a LOT especially my bedding/bed clothes. Etc Etc.

But I'm just wondering if it is some kind of mite-- whether it's a dust mite allergy, or some computer- related mites that I've seen mentioned on here-- what is the best way to eliminate them? Would an alcohol/DE/Dawn soap mix work on them? Should I spray a mixture around my desk area/baseboards? Will washing floors with Murphy's Oil help for mites?

Any suggestions and helpful ideas are most appreciated!! Thanks.

2. sickandtired

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 12:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

just bumping my post from a few days ago because i'm still looking for some replies. thanks.

3. wiggywild

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 14:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/birdmitesorg/

There is a ton of useful information there.

I too am struggling with bird mites but I do not want to treat without proper ID. They go through phases and I feel relatively fine today.

Youll see some people who believe they have morgellan's disease but be very skeptical in applying this information. There is no research being conducted and no one really knows what is going on with it. Plus you can think yourself into this affliction.

I believe it could be possible for mites to burrow on the very outside portion of your skin, or other areas, so internal treatment may be helpful but I am not convinced.

Basically these things are harder to rid than bed bugs, as they can burrow in to walls and places that just cant be effectively reached. There is hope though, but I would recommend PCO intervention and same steps as BB. Although next to impossible without finding a bird or rat nest, do try to ID them before treatment as you could possibly have collembera.

4. sickandtired

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Apr 4 2009 15:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks for the link, but i didn't say i have bird mites, and i'm pretty that's not my problem.
    although i do think it could be some kind of mite, and perhaps some of the strategies people use for dealing with them might be the same.

i'm looking for feedback on other possibilities for the post-BB mystery bite ... but i'm not about to start going down the road of morgellons and bird mite infestations because that to me seems kind of alarmist. what is the likelihood after having bed bugs that you suddenly have some other awful bug infestation too? i'm thinking not likely.

**touch wood** Or i would touch wood if i had any wood items left, but i threw them all out.

5. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Apr 5 2009 23:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having similar problem. There are a number of people on this board having the same problem, you may want to look if you have not already.

I still have bb but rarely have a normal ( red open pierce circle swollen around it hurts or itches ) bite since using the alcohol//dish soap/DE/h20 mix. I know I still have them because I took the mineral oil cups off the bed legs and used just vaseline ( works on the ceiling ). After a few days a red comet mark on my sheets under the pillow.

Back to the mystery bites/mites... I have tiny bites or bumps, red, on my face, neck chest, near seams of clothing. It started with a roar, I had maybe 20 a day, along the seams of my clothing mostly, but neck and face also. I felt pinpricks ( never happened with bb). They happen during the day. I would look no bug but a little red bump. Sometimes with a long scratch like or streak mark. Laundry mat hot dryer did not work, boiling only worked after I boiled for a length of time say 15 minutes, not 5. It is getting worse again after I went back to regular washing ( and my washing machine has a sanitize cycle of 3 minutes at 180 but it is a low water front load). Bed bug bites were usually outside my clothes. I sprayed A LOT of alcohol around everywhere for a while. I completely toxed myself with this and DO NOT recommend. It helped cut down the bites. What does work well is Kleen free and it is nontoxic. I have switched to this with the same results. The problem started suddenly in October. I thought it was body lice ( possibly from clothes at a retail store ) but Lou Sorkin identified the bug I found on my pillow that looked similar as a plaster beetle. You see lice anyway so that was ruled out.

I am wondering if it is possible that there is a mite on the bed bug? Kill the bb and you are left with this? It would be small that is why you do not see it? Someone I think has suggested this in a different context. There are mites that live on insects. Clearly something is going on. Bird mites you see. There is a mite dogs get that is so small you may not see it. I do not have a dog.

Sorry no solid help but you are not alone.

6. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 15:34:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if treating for mites will help if that's not whats causing your 'bites'. I have the exact same problem, been told several times by K9 that my place is all clear. Still get 'bites' though. My derm said I have Folliculitis. I really doubted it until I started looking at my bites and now I can (almost always) see a hair growing out of the centre. That's Folliculitis.

Did you see a Derm? What did they say?

Is is possible you're getting bitten at your workplace?

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 18:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best advice I can give you is don't start any form of treatment until you know what is causing it in the first place. This may require someone doing a microscopic analysis of tape lifts from the property or an inspection under UV light.

It is more the work of an entomologist than a pest controller and you may be best off seeking that level of professional assistance.

In cases of unknown bites or bite like reactions the scientist in me always comes back to the fact that until you have identified what is causing the problem you cant realistically attempt to find a solution.

You may also want to consider physical possibilities such a high static fields which I have seen affect some people post BB encounter. The problem with these is the dampening effect of spraying liquids often makes insecticidal treatments appear to work for a few days and then things steadily return to the same levels of activity.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

8. sereneseek

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 22:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had the same problem since December, but I can actually feel something (not sure what) crawling on me. I can feel it in my ears and my nose and sometimes my eyelashes and eyes. I can't see any insects though. I get strange marks on me too. Some of them fade right away; others are red bumps. I do not have Morgellons nor delusional parasitosis.

When I initially posted about this it was suggested I had mites. I agree that it seems coincidental that I would have a bedbug infestation of my apartment and then immediately be infested with another insect right after.

9. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2009 21:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Losing it, yes, I saw a dermatologist said red bumps were called nonspecfic bumps and did not see anything in my hair so perscribed me some anti-depressant pills that would make me stop itching ... I did not fill it..I do not have Morgellons nor delusional parasitosis either.

Sick and tired, Folliculitis, is actually caused by a mite ( was unclear from your post if you realized that), out of control called mange in dogs. I have been considering that even more since your post because it is thought that the immune system keeps the mite under control and when the mite grows to large populations you have symptoms.

That would explain some but not the feeling of something crawling in my hair, and nose? I know something was in my nose because one day at work I distinctly felt something crawling under my nose. By the time I got to the restroom to look I had 4 tiny little white bumps under my nose. I had milder versions happen before that sometimes just red, I thought it was my imagination until I looked in the mirror that day. I started using qtips with alcohol, anise, orange guard and Kleen free. Over time the remedies got rid of what ever was there but my nose still has mild strange sensations and gets red underneath ( the one abnormal thing the dermatologist commented on ) right after.

Anyway, my point is the immune system getting revved up by the bed bugs maybe something happened to the immune system and the follicle mites go out of control right after the number of bb bites is decreased. Maybe they can cause all of the symptoms myself and others are experiencing? I just do not think it is random. Sick and tired, losingit, serenseek, how long did you have bb?

David, thanks for the unique and scientific advise, it gives me hope of figuring this out. I like the idea very much. I think Lou is too busy for that type inspection but I may check with him or Cornell University has a lab. If you know of anyone in NYC you would recommend.

Thanks for your post serenseek, good to know there are more people with this same problem. It motives me to keep trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the advice, it is unique and scientific.

10. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2009 21:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

whoops, copy paste caused the last line to be repeated, sorry I did not see it was there.

11. sickandtired

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2009 22:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

hello to david and others, and thanks for your thoughtful replies.

david, you said:

... until you have identified what is causing the problem you cant realistically attempt to find a solution.

yes, but the problem is that i AM attempting to identify what would cause continued bite-like reaction after bed bugs? If some experts are aware that there's a continued reaction after BBs, and that it's a somewhat common problem, cannot one of them give some actual advice for what causes it and how to DEAL with continued bite-like sensations post-BBs? it's very frustrating.

i wrote this in another post, and i'm going to repeat it here:

"... it seems from other posts on this board, that this is a somewhat common phenomenon, and it's a REAL problem and not necessarily just in (our) head. The question is whether this common "phenomenon" is: A) some kind of post-BB psychological reaction; B) a continued allergic reaction due to increased skin sensitivity from BBs &/or pesticides; or C) a continued pest problem of some kind, BB or mites, with increased sensitivity to mites after BBs; or D) all of the above? Those are the questions and possible answers I have, anyway.

To any expert who comes along and identifies this common post-BB problem/phenomenon-- especially one who'd give specific and helpful advice and information on how to deal with it-- I think you would have a lot of grateful BB warriors on your hands."

again, i am still looking for advice on how to deal with the post-BB bites and sensations.
    i don't have an entomologist i can ask to come in and microscopically inspect my apartment. sorry.

to losing it: i did see a derm, he prescribed a cream and suggested an antihistamine, and said the skin can be reactive for months after having bedbugs. but when i said, "six to eight months?" which is how long it's been for me, he hesitated. claritin really isn't doing anything to diminish the 'hive-like' bites I get. and the cream doesn't do anything either. he didn't say anything folliculitis, and i didn't ask because i didn't know about that. but doesn't it seem weird to suddenly get a skin condition only after having bed bugs?? I've never had a skin problem like this before BBs, with crawling sensations and hives or bite-like marks. never had a hive in my life, actually. so why now??

and David, one last question: You say there is a possibility for a physical reaction to a high static field? Is that something that would be common to a lot of people after bed bugs, such as people on here who write that they continually feel the crawling sensations, specifically at their computer in the evening? is that a possible explanation for that, a high static field??
    could that actually cause red hive/bite-like marks, as well as a crawling sensations?

thanks for your help.

12. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2009 9:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bug18: "Folliculitis, is actually caused by a mite" Only Dermodex Follicularum (sp?) is mite based. There are several other different kinds of Foll, usually caused by bacteria or fungus. It would take a derm to diagnose which kind you.

Sick and tired: I've never had Foll. before any of this bb crap happened to me either. I can only assume that I scratched/touched my skin so much during the problem that I got the infection. It gives me some relief to actually SEE a hair in some of the welts/hive type things. I did have hives only once in my life years ago - sudden and severe and scary. It has never appeared again. But since the skin is the largest organ we have I believe that any stress, or even other physical problem can manifest itself through the skin.

I'm not diagnosing anything here, simply stating what I HOPE is going on with me based on my experience.

13. bedbugsmakemesad

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2009 11:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

sickandtired, are you sleeping on the same sheets you used during your infestation? I ask because my skin seemed to be VERY reactive not only to the bites, but also (possibly even more so) to the fecal stains and other invisible residue they surely leave behind. As long as I was using those sheets, even after a good long hot cycle in the washer & dryer, my skin continued to itch and react even at times when I'm reasonably sure I was not getting bit. Since ditching those sheets completely and replacing them with new sheets that have never (yet... knock on wood!) seen a bed bug I've had no more skin reactions.

I'm convinced that some of us are allergic to their secreted scent hormones, fecal matter, and other residual traces as much as their actual bites. Furthermore, I noticed during my infestation, but before I had identified it as such, that my skin tended to itch more and redden worse when I was in my bedroom than when I was in my living room (which was never infested) or away from home. Again, I'm convinced it's something to do with their scent secretions, not just their bites.

14. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2009 21:41:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsmakemesad, what sickandtired said had me thinking all day something similar to what you wrote about after I found a bb skin this morning. The way you can become sensitized to something like epoxy

http://books.google.com/books?id=b2zipv8_yQUC&pg=PA1192&lpg=PA1192&dq=sensitized+epoxy&source=bl&ots=YneNz05Eup&sig=__rZ2Wi338FAQ9FSkYl028SrC5w&hl=en&ei=9xjeScfyGp3qlQen0rlX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

http://www.fram.nl/workshop/controlled_vacuum_infusion/allergy.htm

and even the smallest exposure whether it is wrapped up and sealed or a tiny bit of dust can make people react again strongly. It would make sense that bb could do the same. Bedbugsmake me sad, your firsthand experience is helpful as well, thanks so much.

thanks losing it for the clarification. I will try to find a 3rd dermatologist, maybe I will search this site, ha ha.

15. sereneseek

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Apr 10 2009 16:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

To bugged18: To answer your question, I'm not sure how long I had (have had?) the bedbugs. I discovered the infestation in August 2008; however, due to the degree of the infestation I believe they had been there for months before that. You mentioned something crawling in your hair. I didn't put that in my original post, but yes, I have something crawling in my hair as well. Whatever it is will go dormant for a couple of weeks sometimes--long enough to give me hope that it is gone--but it always returns.

16. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Apr 12 2009 21:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

serenseek, how is your shower pressure? ( mine is very low) I wonder if it goes dormant because you get them out but new ones get back in your hair? The Follicle mite will get into all those places that are you said you feel crawling but the question would then be why is it out of control ( I read a lot of people have them but the immune system keeps it in check it is theorized)if you have that? Are your lymph nodes swollen behind your ears at all or in the past? One side behind my ear only was on me at the height of the crawling sensations. I read it can be a symptom of lice ( or I suppose a parasite in the scalp ).

sickntired, serenseek, Cornell University has an insect diagnostic laboratory

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/public/IthacaCampus/ExtOutreach/DiagnosticLab

you can call for questions for $10? per call and you can send samples as well ($25.00). Maybe they could tell you where to get tape samples in your home and then to send to them to see what they find? I keep meaning to call myself but the times you can call are during my job and finding a private place in nyc to make that type call is challenging : ). I am hoping to fit it in soon. Thanks for starting this post.

17. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 6:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Losing It, are you sure you see a hair in the center? It may be a bit of derma pulled out with the removal of the probe.

18. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 8:04:32
    #

Login to Send PM

hi Bait, I ask myself that question non-stop. Obsessively checking each 'bite' for a hair. And yes, I can clearly see hairs sticking out of the centre of most of the ones that I CAN see, my back is really hard to examine. They're the ones that send me into a panic driven tailspin.

It IS hard to keep calm. I've done as much research on Foll as I can and can only assume the derm was right. Plus I've had my work checked 3 times and home checked 3 times with the K9 after my workplace was treated so, fingers crossed, Foll is what it is.

But honestly, I still have severe anxiety and stress all the time - which doesn't help the skin.

19. bedbugsmakemesad

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 8:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged18 - 13 hours ago  » 
    I ran across this post looking for laundry solutions. What stood out was they had Bed bugs and then some sort of skin parasite with similar symptoms of skin crawling, feeling bugs in hair and nose.
    One poster offers a fairly simple natural solution that got rid of the bugs for her I thought I would link

e-bug.net/forum/messages/14107.shtml

WOW. Now I've heard everything. :\

I just wanted to point out at this point, though, (in case this isn't blatantly obvious) that if bugs have "burrowed under [your] scalp and hatched eggs" self-treatment is no longer an option. Period. Go to a doctor.

20. Infofreak

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 8:52:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is making me itch and I dont have bugs at all , I cant stop maybe its A psychosis that is yet to be explained

21. bbs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 10:23:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping someone can help me as I am having a hard time discerning whether the bites I am in receipt of are in fact bed bug bites. They appear to be mosquito bites but I am located in NYC and I don't believe the weather is warm enough for mosquitos. They are itchy for a period of time and then eventually (within an hour or two) shrink to the size of a pimple. This is not my typical reaction to mosquito bites...that remain welts for a few weeks as I am sensitive to them.

I have glue boards down for the last 2 weeks and the only think I have trapepd are spider beetles but I am under the impression spider beetles do not bite humans.

Does anyone has any ideas what this might be?

22. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 11:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you seeing any evidence of bbs? Have you called a PCO in to look around?

23. bbs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 11:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Losingit,

Thank you for your quick response! I am seeing no evidence - white sheets remain white...no bugs, fecal matter, blood or casings found anywhere in the apt.

I have had an inspection and no bugs or evidence were located, PCO did not believe I have bed bugs but something is biting me.

24. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 11:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have no evidence other than bites (holes, 3, 4 or 5 in a cluster or line), and blood on sheets for almost two years now.

Most people do eventually find evidence, so don't despair, keep looking.

25. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2009 14:08:06
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to consider getting a bedbug sniffing dog in to check it out, they often find things that even experienced PCOs can miss, esp if the infestation is pretty light.

26. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 3 2009 19:01:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,
    Our household has also been going thru something since December. We thought it was bed or bat bugs but have not seen any evidence to date. We put food grade DE and then DE with Pyrethrin all around the house. Things seemed to be subsiding in Feb, and then we started getting not only 'bites' but crawling sensations, and stabbing feelings. Sometimes the stabbing feels like someone jabbing you with a pin and sometimes it would feel like a hypodermic needle. (I have also been feeling little electrical jolts, but not my husband, I also get little bruises and it looks like broken blood vessels under my skin).

So then we thought, "mites"? But still, no bug to be seen.

My question for those of you (like us) who are experiencing "post-BB mystery bites": is everyone absolutely positive that they even had bedbugs in the first place????

The uncertainty is killing us. Did we not even have bed bugs? If we did, are they gone? Are these 'bites' we get now something else or a mixture of both.

Sorry for the long post. we're going crazy as you all are too, and I would love to see mostly my kids get their life back. They want to invite their friends over again and go to bed without all the rituals!! Good luck to all of us, I'm amazed at how much something so small can put your life on hold!!!
    Thanks - Losing My Mind (in NH)

27. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 0:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Losingmymind,

I am so sorry this is way too long, skip to the end for the important question if you like.

me too : ). I have not had a positive id from a lab of a bug. I have had comet blood stains on my sheets ( about 10 one night when part of blanket feel to floor ), I saw two tiny spec or period size clear bugs in my house that looked exactly like bb baby pics that I squished when I had woken up with about 100 bites. I have had the bb bites, raised red itchy bumps often with a pierce mark in the center ( key factor ) they last several days or more. I found what looks very much like a bb casing that I need to send to a lab. I had black specs between the headboard and bed on the sheet in the beginning.

DE... after multiple chem failure and over a year of this I made a mix from a topic ; 4 months bite free, steps taken by Jeanette. It mixes de, alcohol, water and dish soap so it is not airborne unless you touch it, air currents do not move it. Bed bugs stopped biting finally and almost immediately. This is the case with all people using this recipe from what I have read. Prior to that when I first thought I had bb before pco bought de and sprinkled it around the floor and bed, it did nothing.

Strange speaks of white look like a little string maybe 1/8" sometimes less, were on a sofa I used to sleep on. I just thought it was skin but this was new and there was a lot. I was sleeping on sheets but the specs were on the sofa. I vacuum and they come back the next night. These later started appearing in my clothes even after I wash them. They were so small they would fit into the fabric fibers. I would use the lint roller but could not get them all out so kept washing.

Strange symptoms...I noticed lots of tiny bumps on my forehead I had not had before over a year ago, it came and went. Then last summer scalp started itching and it felt like bugs were crawling. Acne (?) returned to forehead and cheeks... I poured alcohol on my head and it went away until oct last year. I started getting bites (? ) inside my clothes during the day and weird scratch marks on my skin and the pricks I feel. I would look and there would be a bite(?) bump red. Along the seams and in the folds of my skin were the frequent places. Then bites in my nose I assumed were bb. Then crawling in my nose and on my face. sometimes my skin just opens in a tiny place. I have lots of blood red spots about 1mm some with faint white circle 5mm that were not there before. In the beginning of this year I sprayed the de mix and the bites distinctly bb stopped. I then realized after a month or so that something else was up. I thought it was demodex mites possibly from the stress of bed bugs since the symptoms match but the stinging and white specs do not match. Oh, the new type bites do not last ( raised, red and swollen ) but a few minutes to a couple of hours. Also at the same time I noticed the new type bites the laundry stopped working ( killing bb ) Evertime I got out of the shower and dressed bites... Only after boiling my clothes with a top on the pot ( did not work for 5 minutes and no top ) for 15 minutes did the bites and pin pricks stop. that got old and what about winter coats. I am using borax and h202 from the demodex people posts which works most of the time.

This seems to be happening to a lot of people in some form post bb. There is another topic started tonight on this actually.

I wonder myself about a DE connection after reading some strange posts on the morgelleons sites ( I do not have this no strings in my skin ) because it seems the fibers they have are made of silica ( de ) and plant material if i understand it correctly. Mr. spideyjg was very opposed to my method of DE, and said so. With your post tonight, it just got me thinking... does everyone who has the post bb bite crawling, pin pricks, did they use de?

28. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 1:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged18 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I wonder myself about a DE connection after reading some strange posts on the morgelleons sites ( I do not have this no strings in my skin ) because it seems the fibers they have are made of silica ( de ) and plant material if i understand it correctly. Mr. spideyjg was very opposed to my method of DE, and said so. With your post tonight, it just got me thinking... does everyone who has the post bb bite crawling, pin pricks, did they use de?

It would be interesting to see if there is a common eradication method, DE or pesticide, used by the people with mystery bites. Certainly DE could fall into this realm.

All part of the mystery of mystery bites. FWIW I used DE and don't have mystery bites. Then again I wasn't the one bitten. We had guest that brought BBs and never had evidence in our bedroom.

DE dries your skin out like there is no tomorrow.

Jim

29. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 1:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim, I guess I could do a survey, too tired tonight.

BTW I also think the DE mix method could possibly, get rid of the epidemic due it it's quick and sure success rate. No one ( PCO's that I know of ) use it but it works fast and completely. Maybe an improvement in safety from PCO's ? Food for thought.

30. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 9:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bugged18,

I think the thing that is driving us more insane than the bites, is the uncertainty of EVERYTHING. We can never come to a conclusion on anything as far as it's all concerened. Is it bed bugs? Is it mites? Is it an allergic reaction? Do they live in one room? Are they in many rooms? Did the DE kill them? Have we had them long? Is this a bite or a pimple or something else?

Concerning the DE and killing bugs however, I can tell you that I have the red lily beetle in my garden, and this sucker is something that people have a difficult time erradicating w/o harmful pestisides, and last night I captured one and it happened to have 2 tiny little babies tagging along with it. Didn't even notice them when I threw it into the box until I started closely examining. About the size of two periods. Anyway, swished in a tiny bit of DE with pyrethrin and that beetle wasn't totally bathed in it, but it was coated, and she died in 2 hours, the littlest baby almost instantly and the slightly larger one died within 10 minutes. (It was actually sad to watch, but I love my lillies more!) So of course I drenched the dirt at the base of my lillies last night. Fingers crossed. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

My point (sorry to take so long!) DE with pyrethrin seems to kill some bugs. Whether or not the bed bug will walk thru the stuff.......dunno? We lightly dusted our house, just like the instructions call for.

For us, the original 'bites' we were getting, only itch for about 15 minutes and then never again. When we started getting the 'other bites' with the stabbing and crawling feelings. These things not only itched for a couple weeks, but hurt too!

I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's so depressing to realize that even blowing up your house may not do a damn thing!!

31. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 10:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

LosingMyMind - 47 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Bugged18,
    I think the thing that is driving us more insane than the bites, is the uncertainty of EVERYTHING. We can never come to a conclusion on anything as far as it's all concerened. Is it bed bugs? Is it mites? Is it an allergic reaction? Do they live in one room? Are they in many rooms? Did the DE kill them? Have we had them long? Is this a bite or a pimple or something else?

I think this is what gets to many, many bed bug sufferers, almost more than all else. It's the "is it? Is it?" syndrome that's killing me, I know. We haven't seen a traditional sign for two months, almost, from our FIRST treatment. We found one dead bug and a host of "is this a bite? Is it a pimple? Flea bite? Why is my cat scratching so much? Is that feces? What is this red mark on my skin? OMG I have an itch! I have a small welt that goes to nothing!" etc. etc. etc.

What kills me, personally, is out of four of us who wound up with bed bugs (my roommate and I, my boyfriend at his place and the original friend who perpetrated it all), I am the only one that reacted to bites, we figure. That wouldn't be so bad, except I'm already a naturally paranoid person. Why any deity would see fit to give the one with anxiety issues the original "heads up" is still beyond me. Cruel joke.

32. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 15:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Emmm,

Sorry to hear your story. I am also up and down with my emotions when it comes to the bed bugs. I actually found myself thinking that I would rather have a parasite living under my skin than the thoughts of that disgusting looking bug sucking on my skin while I am at my most vulnerable (sleeping) for up to 10 minutes (or whatever the actual length of meal time is, (damn if you can get 2 people to give the same statistics re: these bloody suckers!!)

I've been trying to think of some ingenious way to get these suckers and I have something in mind, but I need to somehow build what I am thinking and then find a way to test it. I'll have to use ants or something, maybe bait them with sugar.

If I figure something out, fellow bed buggers from this site will be the first to know.

Take care Emmm

33. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 18:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe this can provide some relief. For the past two days I have been taking olive leaf extract ( natural antibiotic ) and the itching/crawling in my nose, hair, and face has gone from a level 8 to 1-0. I wonder if the bb do have bacteria causing disease? The ticks and lyme was just not discovered yet. Maybe the bb has a mite on it kill the bb and the mite needs to eat. I still found a bite(?) this morning but I do feel better, my mind has been able to rest a little today.

I am going to try to call the bug lab at cornell tomorrow and see about sending a couple of samples of my clothes that seem to have evidence of something that bites in them. I will post if anything conclusive comes of it.

Good Luck and thanks for sharing, I am motivated again to find out what this is.

34. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 19:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks and good luck bugged 18!

35. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 23:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya know the mystery bites phenomena should be the focus of an entomology paper.

Ain't there grad students going for a PhD looking for something to study? The thought of a previously unknown mystery "mite" that is leftover from the BBs has crossed my mind as well.

Jim

36. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 3:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have believed for some time now that us mystery bite sufferers are fighting a new, different bug/mite. Something related to the bud bug, but not Cimex lectularius, or an evolved Cimex. For sure, no one has seen nor has any concrete knowledge of what we're talking about, but we all have very similar experiences. It distresses me to hear excuses and dismissive remarks, but these discussions are all we have so I welcome everyone's input.

In my experience, DE is the only thing that keeps the bites at bay. It doesn't permanently stop them. I use dry DE. I haven't tried Jeanette's mixture.

Thanks to all of you for keeping the topic alive.

37. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 7:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It's sooooooooo comforting to be able to communicate with people who understand, isn't it!!!!

We were thinking the same thing about the mites having a symbiosis with the bed bug.

On Saturday I plucked a red lily beetle (with my gloved fingers) from my lily plants outside and put him in a plastic container. When I examined him through a magnifying glass, low and behold, I discovered 2 baby beetles in the container as well. They must have been traveleing attached to the adult. I wouldn't have even seen them if it were not for the magnifier (another wonderful instrument every bed bugger owns I'm sure).

So why not the bed bug. what are they travelling with.

Bite: Are you taking that olive leaf extract orally or applying to the skin? I can't take this crawling sensation anymore. People in public are prob wondering if I have body lice.

38. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 9:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

To jump in on the crawly sensation; at home and only when I'm in bed, I get the face-crawly feeling. My cat likes to sleep on the pillow next to me and I usually pet him as I fall asleep. I had noticed that my face would become crawly and thought maybe it was his hair (sheds like crazy) getting on my face from petting him. THEN I researched it and found out about demodex mites which live on everyone by the way, but in some folks they overpopulate and can cause crawly feeling. Hmm I thought, here I go again with using the internet to self-diagnose...

But I decided to look into it anyway. Found out that IF it is Demodex mites, heat can kill them and so does Tea Tree Oil. So once or twice a week I steam my face over plain boiling water for about 10 mins. Has definitely made a huge difference. Did I have Demodex? Who the hell knows, but in any event, steaming makes my face look and feel nice and clean. Not 10 years younger though sadly:)

I also read that for Folliculitis, vinegar and water can help the infection - so I sitz bath in it every other day for 15-20 mins. It's too early to tell, but I hope it helps. I wouldn't recommend it for people who KNOW they have bbs though, as it does sting quite a bit.

39. buggela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 5 2009 9:50:39
    #

Login to Send PM

so we just got an all clear from the BB dog. I am cautiously optimistic as we've had an all clear before and then did find BB's on the following visit. I'm still finding "mystery bites" which is extremely annoying. Could they be old bites resurfacing? i know it's weird but I can't think of anything else.

40. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 0:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Losingmy mind I am taking nature's plus actives oral 3x a day. I like it because it it perscription quality ( so it says) and time release. My new theory back to my old theory demodex in excess due to stress and the way I handle it in an unhealthy manor ( keep it all in ) maybe. They create a lot of bacteria from decaying in your skin when they die. Maybe all the bacteria causes the skin crawling? Anyway it is still working, only felt it once today.

I spoke to Cornell's lab today. I am sending a package to her. For mystery bites I have only one thing, a sweater I had not worn in a while that was in a bag clean. I got attacked on the shoulder by many unseen bugs. I was home so I took it off and rebagged it. Hopefully she can find something. All these little marks on my shoulder, so weird. I even took a pic thank goodness. I will send that to her as well.

Losingit, I am also doing the tea tree oil alternating with buckthorn oil soaps and lotions as well. I am also doing ted's mange cure from earth clinic ( sadly my life has come to that ha ha ha ) borax and h202 after the shower and the pores are open and let it dry before dressing. It seems to be helping with the bites(?). I use borax in the laundry also and sometimes boil my clothes for 15 minutes submerged. All has made improvements to different aspects of the problem from when this first started which adds to the evidence it could be demodex or something similar ( bed bug mite ... ? but then it seems everbody would have that after they killed the bb's)

Here is a good scientific article on exactly how to kill demodex from the british journal of Ophthalmology

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1772908

bait, thanks for adding, the gel de is much safer if you follow the suggested precautions when applying. If anyone is interested I found using a chapin sprayer from lowes does not clog at at all (so you can use a higher % of DE) where as a spray bottle will do the job but I went through a lot of clogged sprayers.

Jim, maybe Cornell will take an interest who knows

41. LosingMyMind

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed May 6 2009 11:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bugged18

42. sereneseek

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 10 2009 21:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Update to this: last Saturday I saw my hairdresser and he told me about the crawling sensations he has been having for the past 3 weeks. It is exactly the same thing I've had: feeling of insects crawling in nose, eyelashes, ears, scalp, even his anus (sorry!). Did I pass whatever is on me onto him? He hugs me every time he sees me, and he does have close contact with me because he does my hair. He said a naturopath told him he has candida which is yeast overgrowth, but I'm not sure what that has to do with parasites. I feel like I'm on X-files!

43. bugged18

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue May 12 2009 20:26:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info Sereneseek,

From what I have read if they are demodex easy to pass with skin to skin contact, so even cheek to cheek in a hug or his hands touching your hair I would think possible. All those places are have hair follicles. I could not speculate which way it traveled.They live from what I have read 52 hours off the host longer in humid conditions.

I do not know about the candida. I did see one person on line report the itching bug crawling sensations and was cured with antifungal. Could be worth a try, the meds are hard on the liver but there are lots of natural antifungals that are less toxic.

I have not seen my aunt in over a year. I hug her when I see her. I was recently telling telling her about what was going on. She said that is so strange a while ago she had itching over her ears and it felt like bugs crawling. It went away after a while and she forgot about it. So I am a little concerned by your post but thankful to know to be very careful just in case.

Hope that helped. The demodex treatments have slowly been helping so I am continuing but am still trying to think of where to go for a good conclusive skin test ( not back to the dermatologist grrr )

44. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 8 2009 19:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

well since you are not coming back I just have to wonder if you ever did get that schizophrenia medication

45. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 8 2009 22:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The mites must be gnawing at his amygdala.

46. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 9 2009 18:07:52
    #

Login to Send PM

thinkforyourself,

Your post was deleted for derogatory language about others.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  47. earthangel

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 9 2009 20:24:17
    #

Login to Send PM

At this point I can just add to the mystery bite data here, I don't know what I have, but I hope someone can help, or that this info helps somebody, or prompts some professional to study this further.

I don't think I have bedbugs, because for the year I've had my bite problems, I have no blood ever on my sheets or nightclothes, and no evidence of bedbugs to date. (I may call someone in to check anyhow).

Re: someone else's hypothesis, I have also not used DE.

But I do have mystery bites. The bites are invisible, but can be intensely painful when they occur. Sometimes I have intense sensations as if I am being stabbed with a needle, sometimes less intense pinprick sensations, sometimes something that feels more like an electricity spark, or a tiny hot cinder on my skin.

I also now have a lot of itching.

This thing happens in particular to exposed skin - ankles, hands - when I am seated in one spot in my apartment, where I spend a lot of time, at my computer desk. If there were such a things as invisible hopping biting bugs - that's how it feels. Last summer I had these symptoms, and they went away when the weather got colder.

The problem with "bites" does not extend to where my bed is - I am okay on my bed or in it. I change nightgown every day, but not sheets. I encased the mattress and pillows but was okay before that too, it just seemed like the smart move.

This year they came back, much worse, and now accompanied by a very itchy head, and itchiness elsewhere. Selsun Blue shampoo helps temporarily, used for washing head and used as body wash. 3 doctors find no signs of lice or anything else, but I hope to find someone who knows more. I treat my scalp with Rid every week or two anyhow as it seems to calm things down.

The symptoms are almost absent in the daytime, and come on quite strong after 4:30 pm or so, wherever I am. I'll go through day thinking I'm fine, then they come back. Totally fresh clothes provide some help.

Tape on skin produces nothing at all except - I did find larvae from some kind of beetle, on three different occasions, right at spots on me where I felt stings, a few months ago. I've sent out the carpet from this part of my house (it's all natural, which I think beetles like) and no longer find larvae on me at all, ever. I've found a few more of them in the house, though, and now wonder about an allergy to something about them.

My symptoms match symptoms reported by two groups
    - people who consider they have an allergy to dead beetle products (hairs, skins, casings), and people who consider they are plagues by a live thing too small to see. I can't take most allergy meds because they are a dangerous combination with another med I take, which I don't want to stop as it took me years to find it.

I've never had allergies before, or much of anything wrong physically.

48. NewBlood

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 12:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I apologize for bringing up this old thread but I am now experiencing this as well and just wanted to add another voice to those here in this thread. I have been given the 'all clear' twice over now by two K9s - have no bed bug evidence, and yet strange mystery bites appear on me randomly throughout the entire day (between 1 - 5 bites) anywhere they please.

In my case I have not ever seen an actual bug before I began my treatment - nor was there any other proof of them save for two dogs (separate days) that alerted to their presence in my apartment after I was getting strange bites showing up. I realize that it's not the best thing to treat for them without finding them, but there you have it.

So I too am now left wondering the same things as LosingMyMind indicates below:

LosingMyMind - 6 months ago  » 
    Thanks Bugged18,

Although in my case the reactions are the opposite as what LosingMyMind posted. My initial bites were terribly itchy and lasted for months (I still have the initial group of 20 that are around my ankles) however the new bites I get these days itch for the first 10 minutes then fade to small red bumps - fading away in 12 - 72 hours later.

49. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 13:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Newblood, you have just described my situation to a tee.

50. earthangel

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 14:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have made some progress since I posted last.

At the very kind suggestion of KillerQueen, I ordered this flea trap

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sc/shopexd.aspx?id=269601&PLC=1&GFM=41&referer=http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/victor-ultimate-flea-trap-uses-glue-and-light/insect-control/269601/269601.aspx&EOR=x&ESR=2&dir=shp2&b=ff2c&w=1024&h=576&f=N&tp=1829&frompg=99&topg=99&menupage=1011

(it's about $13) and placed it where the infestation is worst. I now have collected at lest ten extremely tiny things (with a magnifying glass I can affirm they are "bugs," and not "specks," but too small to see more that way) and am hoping to get them identified soon. They are smaller than the period at the end of the sentence on this computer screen.

From the ten thousand pages of internet reading I have done, I am guessing they are bird mites, bird fleas, or bird lice -- but who knows.

From talking to KillerQueen and reading some more, I think they may get in to my high-rise apartment because of a person who scatters TONS of birdseed around the building, inviting birds to hang around and wait for her and excrete things. Anyhow check for bird problems, nest problems, rodent problems, anything that might eventuate in bugs looking for a new host.

Meanwhile I can offer these daunting but for me necessary interim strategies until I get an ID and a PCO:

Settle on a manageable set of clothes you'll wear and launder, and keep them away from your other stuff. When you undress every day, put everything you had on into a floppy "tall kitchen trash bag," tie a slip-knot in its neck, and toss this into hamper.

Wear each item of clothing only once.
    Wash everything in hot water with ammonia and Borax, and dry on hot setting. Technique of drying only, which people use for bedbugs, does not seem to work, tried it for an hour with some coats and they were still itchy.

Needless to say, pick things that will stand the laundering. I've been surprised at how many things can take being washed and dried hot.

Never re-use the white bags as you will re-infest everything. I put clean clothes in clear-colored bags so I don't make a mistake and can see them. I sort them by -- work clothes, nightclothes, casual clothes, exercise clothes, underclothes, coats. I put most black clothes in separate ziplock bags with labels, as they all look alike in a pile! And my "set" of clothes is mostly black because they all can go together.

Wash hair and body with Selsun Blue, the more expensive variety which says it is very medicated. Blue with red top.

After shower, spray body, hair, with Listerine, and then rinse it off. And then spray whole shower area and bathroom with Windex. In general Windex seems to knock them down or "direct kill." If I don't do it, I feel the f-ers hopping around in the bathroom.

Windex does not destroy many things (furniture, clothes - NOT good for skin, lungs, though) and seems to provide temporary control.

For shoes - I swish 91% rubbing alcohol in them, then stuff the toes up with an alcohol-soaked paper towel, then put shoes in plastic bag in the freezer at least overnight.

Never wear the same bedclothes
    . I supplemented my normal stock of nightclothes with some stuff from EBay and Kmart.

Make yourself a few spray bottles of rubbing alcohol, carry one, keep a few handy, when something bites you, spray that spot immediately. If you're out and feel them in shoes, you can spray your socks/feet. Or any other part of clothes/body. 91% alcohol also seems to "direct kill" them.

I keep white bags now in my purse or tote bag, and if I go to visit someone I put my coat and purse in them. And of course I am especially 100% all-clean when I go there. I generally say, "there is something in my apartment that's making me itchy, I don't know what it is, I don't want this stuff sitting around in your house."

51. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 15:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Do people generally find these mystery bites are not like their original bed bug bites?

Periodically I find the tiniest little welt, maybe a red bump, come up after a very mild itchy sense. They're maybe in pairs (and sometimes that's even stretching it) once every 100 times. I freaked out about them at first, and they did get worse as I'd stress. I generally talk myself down from the ledge, so to speak, now when I find them, and do sometimes find they come up in dry/cold weather, when I'm stressed or upset, or anything that isn't optimal for skin condition. Before I moved to this new apartment, I, too, would get that strange pinching bite with nothing to show, nothing to see, etc. etc.

In my case, I'd guess the pesticides, over-showering/washing of clothes, and general exposure to bed bug related things have pushed my skin to react to nearly everything. Keeping in mind how different my original bites were helps me relax a bit, and when time goes by from noticing a mystery bite with no actual signs since also goes a long way.

52. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 19:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

earthangel - 5 hours ago  » 
    I now have collected at lest ten extremely tiny things (with a magnifying glass I can affirm they are "bugs," and not "specks," but too small to see more that way) and am hoping to get them identified soon. They are smaller than the period at the end of the sentence on this computer screen.

Hi earthangel,

I hope you will get the samples identified by an entomologist soon. University extensions are good places to try, and large pest control firms often contract an entomologist or have one on staff.

You need to get the sample identified and get proper professional treatment for whatever problem you are experiencing.

53. earthangel

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 2:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, No BugsOnMe, that is exactly what I am doing as my next step, and as soon as possible. I hope Lou Sorkin will be able to find a moment for me to go show him this sample.

I'd also like to know if anyone has a recommendation in New York for someone who is experienced with bird mites-bird fleas-bird lice. I don't like to believe all the extreme pessimism on some bird mite sites, but all of that makes me want to be very careful, which I think has slowed me down, fear of having somebody in here who doesn't know what he's doing and makes it worse.

Because it is really really ill terrible as it is. It is painful and itchy, it's disrupted my whole small apartment, the guy who will listen to me talk about invisible bites from invisible bugs. It is also very hard doing all this endless laundry.

If you have a reco, of yourself or someone you know or know of who knows bugs that come form birds and rodents, please send me a message, and if for any reason you want discretion from me be sure you will have it.

54. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 5:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered that flea trap and will be setting it up soon. I'll post my results.

55. NewBlood

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 7:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Earthangel, hey Bait,

Yes please! Let us know what you discover - I may go and get one of those traps too and hope beyond hope that it's a mite getting me. I awoke this morning with 2 new bites showing up and I'm approaching wit's end - alas I am not having the same symptoms as earthangel though - I feel nothing 'crawling' on me at all.

56. earthangel

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 9:52:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I hope I'm not posting too soon, I hope these things in the flea trap turn out to be identifiable.

57. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 20:11:26
    #

Login to Send PM

*bump*
    i think i may now be in same situation<weirdly annoying small bites that are not *at all* like my bb bites, post bb treatment #3>. oddly, my dog gets them too.
    earthangel -did someone ever id those things? *is* there a greater chance of mites post bedbugs? do dogs also get weird pesticide reactions?

58. earthangel

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 20:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for asking.

I have NOT found anything identifiable as a bug in the flea trap, nor has a bug specialist, and now I am operating on a premise that this condition may be, as was suggested to me, a reaction to fungus, mold, or carpet beetle debris (dried up beetles or something, from inside walls/under floor of old building).
    I have not had bedbugs, and I do not have visible bites. I have had extreme crawling sensations on scalp - gone since I started using Selsun Blue shampoo; pins and needles feelings; and, worst, very very sharp and painful bite sensations, like flea-bites or louse bites, or like electric sparks. Concentrated in one place in apartment, but definitely capable of getting into clothes, and of spreading among clothes - if it's on my sweater, it will get on my coat, etc.
    Seemed to "jump," like fleas, but as likely to be something tiny which is airborne.
    A person who was working in my apartment, whom I'd asked to clean thoroughly in the area where this problem occurs, has developed the same symptoms (and I do not think it is suggestion, as I was very vague about my own symptoms, just told him I thought I was allergic to something). Something has changed in the apartment environment I think, as both this guy and I have spent time living or working there for 10 years, and this has affected us both at the same time.
    All diminished by various cleaning procedures but not gone. I'm in the process of sealing up cracks between floor and wall with duct tape - if it makes a difference I'll hire someone to caulk. Also washing floor with bleach solution. Also thinking of getting a "mold person" in to see about air quality.
    There's possibly useful info here: http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/T5VUPRC9I2LVHVT3Q/p15#lastPost. The poster called Sam has been working a fungus concept with some success.

59. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 21:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks earth angel,
    and my sympathies -sounds awful! i hope you get the allergic reaction to whatever it is sorted out! i think we have something different, i definitely have small bite marks, as does my dog. i don't have crawling feelings in my scalp <though i get skin crawling feelings sometimes> -i DO have painful needle like 'bite' feelings -but then i get the little pinprick bite marks. also, i definitely had bedbugs before this <who left bite marks of a very different and blistery sort>. i might still, i'm in the 60 day post bb bite waiting period - unless these are also bb bites, but i don't think so. i do know i had carpet beetles too . . .i wonder if previously having bed bugs makes one more likely to respond allergically to their hairs? hmmm. . .food for thought. maybe after the bed bug dog clears me <knock wood that he does> in 2 weeks, i'll clean like a crazy person to see if i can get rid of any/all potential allergens. just in case the bb dog doesn't clear me - i don't want to clean like a madwoman now, because i have residual pesticides on my floor, and would like to leave them there until i'm definitely bedbug free. anyway -thanks for responding -and good luck with whatever you are facing!

60. earthangel

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2009 21:43:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Your thing does sound different. I hope it just goes away!!

I think many people on here have observed that some people have sensitivities for awhile post bb.

61. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 0:21:54
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 2 weeks ago  » 
    I ordered that flea trap and will be setting it up soon. I'll post my results.

It makes for a inexpensive night light. But that's all. Not a single bug.

This is such a big problem, this I-have-bites-but-no-evidence thing. This thread has almost 5,ooo views.

Please don't doubt yourself. Don't bury your head in the sand. It took 25 years for chronic fatigue syndrome to be viewed as something other than hypochondria. How many cases of Lyme Disease went untreated cuz docs didn't understand or take it seriously. Let's learn from our mistakes. We may be unidentified, but we are nearing critical mass.

62. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 0:24:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You can add us to the list of people with nothing in the flea trap. It's been plugged in for weeks, and it's pristine. Not even a speck of dust, due to insane amounts of vacuuming going on.

63. earthangel

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 11:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, there really does seem to be something in the territory of microscopic something that is affecting people, there are several websites about this.

I have not had a bad experience with an entomologist, but I've seen irresponsible "answers" by them (not Lou S of course) online to people with these problems: an entomologist is not qualified to diagnose you, s/he is only qualified to identify bugs, or tell you she does not see any. For that matter, a dermatologist is not qualified to make a psychiatric diagnosis, either (though legally s/he probably is allowed to do so).

I find the "delusional parasitosis" diagnosis problematic in this case - if the person you consult cannot find something, that does not mean you have a "delusion," it means only that you are having a problem whose cause s/he cannot identify. I have not checked this out, but I think the delusional parasitosis diagnosis until recently was mostly applied to people with serious DTs (delirium tremens) cause by late-stage alcoholism or alcohol withdrawal - people with liver and/or nervous system damage who experienced and possibly even saw "bugs" on themselves.

64. tinyvampire

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2009 19:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hi, all:

i have some questions about everyone's experiences with mystery bites and post-BB itching.

we had our third pco treatment with suspend on november 6. we've seen no obvious signs of BB since our second treatment in late october.

i still wake up itching/with crawling sensations almost daily, between the hours of midnight and 6. i've only found 1-3 mystery welts since late october. i just found 3 tiny ones on my neck yesterday morning, and 1 near the corner of my mouth today. the welts sting deeply, like insect bites, but they seem different from the BB bites i've had before, so i'm hoping that they're from something else (God knows what).

i'm not happy about the welts and the itching, but my husband and i have decided to declare victory and buy a bed this weekend, since the residuals will be beyond their effect by then.

so, here are my questions:

--how long does the itching last after you've been declared BB-free? does the post-BB skin hypersensitivity ever decrease, or is it something we have to live with indefinitely?

--do you feel the itching all day, or just at certain times of day?

--has anyone decided that the itching/welts are simply the result of pesticide/DE exposure?

--if the itching/crawling/welts are not bug related, do you find that the welts sting and hurt?

thank you,
    -tinyvampire

65. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2009 22:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Tinyvampire,

My bites are caused by bugs biting me. I don't suspect anything else. I am not delusional, nor do I having chemical exposure-itis or sensitive skin. A bite is unmistakable. It has a distinct hole in the middle. I have bites. They don't go away because I keep getting bitten.

I am being bitten by bed bugs, or mites that live off bed bugs, or mites that live off other bugs.

I don't get welts. I don't have an extreme reaction, just an annoying itch at the site of the bite at certain times throughout the day. My beautiful skin is scarred.

Sad, isn't it?

With the help of another poster from this board, I am contacting researchers. Who knows, maybe we're on the cusp of a scientific breakthrough and will end up with a Nobel Prize.

66. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 15:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

hi tinyvampire

i haven't had "mystery bites" very long, but i'll answer your questions. like bait, i THINK these are bites because they have little pinprick bitemarks in the middle.
    but i DON"T think they are bedbug bites because the experience of them is completely different -i did have BB reactions -blisters that lasted sometimes a month and itched like hell (especially in the shower). my new bites go away in 24 hours. also i feel them when they happen (which was not true of my original BB bites), like a hard pinch or pinprick when they happen, and then can actually watch the spots raise up like tiny mosquito bites with a bite mark in the middle, the tiny bitemark part scabs, but the swelling part goes away within 24 hours. all without seeing a bug. cue twilight zone music.

ok, onto your questions
    how long does the itching last after you've been declared BB-free? does the post-BB skin hypersensitivity ever decrease, or is it something we have to live with indefinitely?

no clue -i don't even know for sure i'm bb free. i've had 3 treatments and the bb dog comes next week to either clear me or pinpoint their remaining hidey holes. i've had no "classic" BB bites (blistery ones) for 2 weeks at least.

--do you feel the itching all day, or just at certain times of day?

just when the bites happen and for a few hours after. never more than 24 hours after, often even less time than that

--has anyone decided that the itching/welts are simply the result of pesticide/DE exposure?

dunno. though i definitely get bitten the worst in the room that has never been treated with DE, so probably not DE?

--if the itching/crawling/welts are not bug related, do you find that the welts sting and hurt?

they sting when it happens (well, sharp pinches really rather than stings), otherwise no. i do feel crawling on me at times, usually just in one room -and after the crawling sensation will often get the bites. but sometimes i just get the bites with no crawling beforehand

this mystery bite thing, well its annoying, but not life changing (the bb bites were more life changing just because the incessant itching sometimes made it hard to concentrate on other things like work. plus when they blistered, my bb bites also definitely hurt for DAYS.) the new type of bites, not painful, nor even itchy for long. i can live with it, though i would obviously prefer not to.

interestingly, i am most likely to get mystery bites when i sit on my sofa <which i mostly avoid, for obvious reasons>. i know i had both bedbugs in that sofa, AND quite oddly, sow bugs in that sofa (pics id'd on this board) who died en masse. now i get mystery bites on the sofa -which makes me think a mite that previously lived on one of the two is a possibility. and yes, i hate my sofas i bought the set new 3.5 months ago, and its been nothing but trouble since delivery. i really don't want to get rid of the sofa set -cuz it is brand new and quite pricey and then i would have no living room furniture until i could afford another new set, which would be awhile. my pco has steamed them and treated the underside/frame with bedlam, and says he can't find anymore evidence of bedbugs in them (they were ground zero, and where he found bb evidence originally, even after treatment #2 i found cast skins on/under them -but not since treatment #3). if the bed bug dog alerts on them, however, i'll chuck them without question or regret.

67. tinyvampire

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 20 2009 7:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you, bait and w:

bait, i'm looking forward to hearing more about your findings from the researchers. and you are right about the scars -- i'm most upset about the ones on my face, but yes, it is sad!

w, please keep us posted on whether or not the BB dog finds any remaining evidence. my fingers are crossed for you!

my "post-bb" bites are both the painful, blistery, long-lasting kind that you describe as how you experienced your bb bites (that's how my bb bites were, too) *plus* smaller pinpricks that don't swell or blister (and go away quickly without leaving much of a scar).

i've searched the little bed i've been sleeping in pretty thoroughly (we took our large bed, the main harborage, to the dump two months ago), i've duct taped the gaps in the frame, i've covered the mattress in plastic, and it's been sprayed multiple times. but i'm still itchy, and wake up with a welt or two once a week -- sometimes on my face, other times in places that were not exposed.

we've got DE and residuals all over everything, so when i touch something i know has been exposed to them, i usually feel itchy and dry. so i can accept that some of my itching is pesticide exposure, and that even some of the welts could be. i'd like to believe that, anyway.

we have a questionable couch, too, that our PCO cleared (but this was before my husband had been sleeping in it for very long) -- but i'm pretty sure that i get welts from lying on it. i definitely feel itchy within minutes after sitting on it. but i can't find bb evidence on it. there are a few tiny red marks under the cushions, but it's an old couch from the 60's, so it could be anything. and it is covered in residuals and surrounded by DE. i think i'll tear that couch apart today and look harder. we'd have to go without a sofa for a long time, too, if we got rid of it -- but it would give me peace of mind...maybe?

has anyone who has posted on this string since had relief from these skin reactions?

up itching at 4:30am,
    -tinyvampire

68. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 22:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey tinyvampire,

Alas for me no - the bites continue endlessly. I was at my brothers, and then my parents (slept over, so I was out of my apartment for 5 nights) for the holiday season and not once did the bites stop showing up on me. 1-5 appear on me every day, in random locations on my body (mostly on my arms). They always look like mosquito bites when they first show up - with the area around the raised white mark being red and splotchy. Then, after an hour or so, the mark loses the red splotch and looks like a chigger bite (dark red, slightly raised, after 12-72 hours it will begin to flake as it heals). I get them when I wake up, in the middle of the day, in the evening when I'm not in the apartment at all, or before I go to bed. I've had this happen over at friends houses during visits, at work, and at award/technical meetings in the evening/afternoon hours.

I have been cleared by bed bug dogs three times now but the marks continue to appear every day. A Nightwatch I was lent by my exterminators didn't catch anything (but I couldn't isolate the bed because I have no frame to set it on) for the two weeks it's been here - even when I was out of the apartment (however the lure was old (the exterminators didn't realize you must change the lure every week and gave me only one) and all that may mean is that there were no hungry bed bugs around for the past five days or the chemical lure was not strong enough to attract them).

Everyone thinks I'm crazy now. The exterminators think it's dust mites. My family thinks it's an allergic reaction to who knows what. My friends think I'm just flat out crazy. No one else but me is showing a reaction. I suspect bugs because the bites look like chigger bites to me after the mosquito stage has ended, they tend to 'complete' a line or cluster of bites when they begin appearing (that is - a single bite shows up, then over the course of the week two others may show up in the same 'area' as the original). Occasionally I get a row of bites that follow one of my veins.

The sad part is I do sound crazy, like I'm taking crazy pills!

69. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 22:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Then we're both crazy.

I have a theory, but since it does not jive with the "facts," I am hesitant to post it. More new info has to be released for these ideas to be taken seriously.

Actually, I wrote a truncated version of it in a post recently and lost it (hit a wrong key), so I decided it was meant to be that I not divulge yet.

Hey, did anyone hear about the two teenagers that recently discovered a new species of cockroach while doing a science experiment?

70. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 8:03:40
    #

Login to Send PM

bump

71. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 12:30:36
    #

Login to Send PM

for the record, i don't think either of you are crazy. . .
    although certainly getting bitten constantly can DRIVE anyone a bit round the bend.
    for the record part2, i must also state what i thought were mystery bites were, alas, bed bug bites (STILL) if the dog is to be believed. i guess my reactions just changed. though, oddly, i got another big blistery "classic" bb bite <on my foot> when caulking in the living room (which was the only room with dog hits the next day). it showed up in the shower after i was done caulking (i'm a messy caulker). and that same night <several hours post shower> i also got one of those tiny pinprick ones on my arm in the dining room (no dog hits in that room, and 3 dog-cleared rooms away from living room) which pinched when it happened and faded away in less than 3 hours (whereas the blistery one is still there and will last probably 2 weeks if past experience is any indication), so maybe one can have different reactions at different times, or maybe i have two biting pests in my home -one superannoying (bedbugs) and one less so but more widespread (??). i dunno. i'll focus on clearing the bed bugs first (well, my PCO will anyway)and then focus on any remaining biting critters. in the meantime, i think bait's theory concerning mystery bites has merit (i think i know what it is from personal correspondence, and i think its highly plausible from doing some of my own reading)

72. thinkforyourself

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jan 10 2010 17:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Newblood: I bet you have scabies.. I went to 2 dermatologists and they were unable to find anything, and I thought there were some kind of crazy mystery bugs in my house. It ended up being scabies. Don't go by what the pictures of scabies bites look like online, they are just showing you worst case scenario. I never saw any burrows or anything, just small red bites.

73. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 11 2010 0:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Think,

If the dermatologists found nothing, why do you think you have scabies? Who diagnosed scabies? Were you treated with a microbicide despite a diagnosis? Do you no longer have "bites"?

Scabies is mites, and mites is a still a consideration for those of us with mystery bites. But scabies meds have not been an effective remedy for most who have tried it on this site.

Bait

74. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 11 2010 11:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Think,

I would like it to be something like that - as that has a definite and cheap(er) solution to it! I was treated with some anti-mite medicine months ago from my normal doctor - and it had no effect though. Another concern is that no one who has come into contact with me (hand shaking, sitting in chairs I sit in, etc) has received the scabbies 'gift' yet - but then again they may not be crawling everywhere on me. I haven't noticed any 'tunnels' or the like on me yet, although I do know that, in general, they aren't visible unless an infestation is out of control.

All of this begs the question: where did I get them from if it was scabbies? Is this something you can just pick up out of the blue? I have not come into contact with anyone I do not know (like I don't rub up against other strangers - tends to make people a bit weird) recently and none of my friends have anything like this. Does one just wander around outside and suddenly *poof* scabbies attack! Please don't take that as insulting, I just have no idea where you get these things from.

There are hints that it may be mites that are attacking me... for example while normally I receive 1 - 5 singular bites each day sometimes I get a strange 'cluster' of bites. Roughly 6-20 bites in a small area and none of these bites are raised. The area so effected looks like a lot of somethings attacked it - or that it is a nasty rash of some sort, but this clears up in about a week. When I see one of these I suspect mites - and is the reason I have a dermatologist appointment made next week to see what he'll say on the subject (I put it off for the longest time because of the positive dog alerts during the time I was receiving bites, and because I have read that doctors are not bite experts - however I am beginning to rule out reason after reason now, so a derm is the next logical step for me).

However the sole reason I still suspect bed bugs is that marks that show up singularly tend to be near my veins. I had 4 show up over the Christmas break on the back of my right hand that were ALL on that big vein there - following down in a line. It could be coincidence, and I do know that some mites like feeding on blood (scabbies do - so it could be them). Well, that and the mite medicine I was given from my normal doctor did nothing to alleviate my symptoms but perhaps I just was reintroduced to them through a different source of the like.

Anyway - I have suspected a different type of bug like Bait has been. Perhaps something that was living off of the bed bugs is now living off of me. In any case if I ever do find out what it is you can be sure I'll post here and let everyone know - and if it is scabbies I'll feel... er... better? I think? And most likely my entire family will need to be treated after having me visit them over the break.

75. Abandoned Hope

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Apr 16 2010 1:20:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I am glad (or not so glad) I came across this thread. I brought my bed bugs with me from my old apartment to my new house. I was treated 2 times by a PCO 2 months ago, and I have also laid down DE and other chemicals. However, my wife and I are getting the same symptoms described on here: small, itchy bumps that last a few hours to a day with a small pinprick or red dot in the middle, itchy sensations. I have not found any confirmed physical evidenceof BB's in months.

Here are some pics of the "bites":

Bite 1

Bite 2

Bite 3 (Red dot on the thumb)

The last 2 are a few days old. Does this look like what most of you are experiencing?

I have been told to invest in some monitors to see if there are any bed bugs left, because the PCO's I have spoken to said that something isn't right if I am not finding anymore evidence.

76. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Apr 16 2010 10:59:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Abandoned hope, my "bites" look the same. Sometimes I find them after the area of skin they're on gets itchy, sometimes they're not itchy at all. I have no idea what they are. My husband and toddler do not get them. I had my last treatment in early January. I am trying to live normally, keeping track of the skin markings, and waiting for evidence.

77. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Apr 16 2010 14:45:49
    #

Login to Send PM

My bites are random so I can never be sure if it's similar to pictures online.

Sometimes they appear as just a red bump - which doesn't itch but has a 'center' similar to your pictures above but don't itch at all. Most of the time they swell like a mosquito bite (with or without a 'center') then settle down to a smallish red bump or dot and fade away from there (sometimes flaking away). Other times there's a single raised bump surrounded by several 'pin prick' like marks all around it - but the pin pricks never raise or become inflamed and fade away after some hours (it looks like alot of somethings randomly decided to attack me but only one of them becomes itchy or raised). These marks only occur about one a month if that - sometimes once every two months. Rarely I have been able to 'pop' the bites as I would have a pimple but they don't LOOK anything like normal zits/pimples that I was used to getting as a kid (and swell like a mosquito bite afterwards).

This has been ongoing ever since day 4 of my original bed bug treatment back in October. These marks just continue to show up on me - anywhere from 0 - 8 a day now (I have gone up to 4 days without any - the most in a single day has been 8 so far). Sometimes the marks stay for days, other times they are gone within hours. It's completely random and I'm losing my mind because of it.

My youngest brother took my sofa from my old apartment saying "You DON'T have them! You've never even seen one of them or any proof of them!" and sure enough now - a month later he hasn't shown any bites yet, nor has his wife, toddler, or pet. My brother Dave took my small refridge with him saying the same thing "Free Fridge! You don't have them!" and no marks or bites either. I moved into my parents house for the past two weeks while I waited for my house to close and went 4 days mark free but now it's right back to the amounts I listed above: 0 - 8 a day, mostly averaging about 3 a day. No one else has gotten bit, no proof of any bugs anywhere. PCO's I have talked too have told me that I should be finding evidence of them with bites everyday. A derm I went too believes it's a strange hive reaction rather then bed bug bites. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I feel like that guy from the black-and-white 'invasion of the body snatchers' that is standing in the street screaming "you're next! you're next!" but there may actually be nothing in those cars instead of pods. Argh!

78. miked366

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Apr 16 2010 19:51:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Please check with an immunologist as I was diagnosed with papular urticaria, a skin condition triggered by among other things - insect bites. We had a confirmed infestation treated chemically and thermally and have found no evidence post the last thermal - other than my "bites". I will have our full story soon.

79. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Apr 16 2010 23:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Miked366,
    Does this mean you react when you get bitten? Or previous bites, before you got treated, have made you get these skin lesions even though there is no immediate bite? I don't understand the definitions I have found online.
    Thank you!

80. miked366

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Apr 17 2010 5:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

As I read it, it is a skin condition that is initially triggered by something and your immune system remains in a highly vigilant mode. I am on four prescriptions now (prednisone, clarithromycine, xyzal and singulair) for a month. My reactions are clearing up after two weeks. If after a month I continue to react, the doctor will do further testing.

81. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Apr 17 2010 12:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Recent article about stuff in processed foods is interesting.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/9-ingredients-to-avoid-in-processed-foods-1268429/

States artificial colors, flavors, and benzoate preservatives in processed foods can cause skin reactions.

Jim

82. Abandoned Hope

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 18 2010 10:18:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Miked366,

Did your Papular Uticaria look like the pics of the "bites" I have posted above, with a red hole in the center?

83. miked366

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 18 2010 13:30:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Not really, though I'm sure people can react differently. Have a biopsy done to start.

84. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 18 2010 18:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you're right, miked. Mine do have a hole in the middle. Always.
    I also hope you feel better soon and move on from the nightmare.

85. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 0:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Since I posted on this thread before and people might be checking it to see what happens to others with mystery bites, I thought I'd give an update on me.
    It's 5 months since our last treatment, we still have seen NOTHING. I am not examining the bedframes anymore, though I do give cursory glances. We flipped the mattresses and saw nothing, and every time I do bedsheets in the laundry I examine the encased bedframe and mattress, the sheets and pillows, and the surrounding floor and walls and baseboards. I have seen nothing.

I still get occasional mystery bite-like lesions. Now that it's summer, I am actually seeing them *less*. Still, about once a week or once every 2 weeks, a couple will appear. There has not been an increase. Husband and baby have no bites. Baby occasionally has suspect marks, but I think all babies do. I still have no idea what's going on, but I am starting to believe it's not bed bugs.

86. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 9:36:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add - we have David Cain's passive monitors on the beds, and we have climbups (though the beds are not isolated - it's too difficult with a toddler). I figure smth would eventually get trapped in climbups anyway. Something did - an ant. So i guess they work.
    But no bed bugs sightings or evidence. So, 5 months post-treatment, the random mystery bites remain just that - mysteries.

87. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 12:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Those 3 bite photos looks like what i was identifying as my bird mite bites..i only got them when sitting at my office desk next to the window where the bird had made the nest. Those bites were very very itchy and looked exactly like the photos. They generally took a couple of weeks to fade away and just touching a fading one would cause intense itchy sensation. If i did not scratch and put witchhazel or my special concoction right on them they would fade in about a day....

strange.

i believe i had three types of bugs at the same time....:

light infestation of bedbugs

light infestation of carpet beetles

light infestation of bird mites.

oh...don't let me forget my light infestation of roaches

i opened an old box of oatmeal and found some larvae kind of thing crawling in there

i saw something like a moth flying around...when you kill them they just leave a grey powdery smudge

i had a really big insect with bushy hairy mouthparts that did not move much even when i pushed him...oh...that was my husband!! <^.^>

88. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 15 2010 12:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to update this with my own 'mystery bites' as well. Just like SoScared I have been under 'attack' by some odd thing for the past 10 months of my life. I thought my initial bites were chigger bites due to their location/itchiness on me (lower legs/ankles) after walking around outside, but had a dog sweep done in my then-apartment which had positive hits all over the place. No other evidence was discovered of the insects save for those alerts. I went through the treatment and during this time bites began to show up on other parts of me: my arms in particular.

These new bites differed from my previous ones - they itched but with no where near the same intensity of my originals. They healed much faster as well (in days as opposed to the 2+ months my originals took) but having read that reactions can vary I remained convinced my body had changed it's reaction. This continued endlessly - roughly 2 bites a day - during and after treatment. Several more dog sweeps occurred without any positive hits - and no evidence was found. I was lent a Nightwatch for three weeks that caught nothing, never have had any signs or evidence of bed bugs save for bites.

I began to suspect that the marks were not from bed bugs at all - but something that I am just mysteriously reacting too, however with the high costs of the treatment I could not be sure. I bought a house to get away from apartment life - the risk of these insects coming from neighbors driving me to insanity. I stayed with my parents for 30 days while I waited for the house to close - continually getting 'bites' during this time. I moved out 45 days ago and still continue to get the odd bite like mark on my wrists/arms as I always have been. My parents have received no marks or bites (with them, visitors staying, and one of my brothers there) and have had 0 evidence of bed bugs - now a good 75 days since I was with them.

I have caught no bed bugs in climb up interceptors for the past 45 days - but have caught ants, spiders, and strange looking larvae (I think they are carpet beetle larvae). Not a single bed bug. I have received some 'real' insect bites recently (mosquito) and realize how much unlike one of my '2 bites a day' marks they are. Incredibly itchy and painful to scratch.

A very close friend of mine showed me some 'bites' that she gets too - she has a strange form of eczema and has been getting 'bites' for 22 years of her life (roughly 1-3 a day). She doesn't have bed bugs and while I know you can't judge these things based on marks my skins 'bites' look exactly like hers. A dermatologist I had seen believed it to be eczema as well - although I was leary of his diagnosis due to what he knew of bed bugs ("put a plastic sheet over the bed and they'll all die in a month").

At this point I no longer believe that I have bed bugs, and I am in fact not even sure if I ever had them to start with. Without having ever found one as proof (or any evidence of them) I have no way of knowing. I am now hanging up my clothes, and replenishing my furniture. I no longer live out of plastic bags and am getting my life back to 'normal' again, if it ever can be normal after realizing these things exist. In the end though - as soscared put it so very well - my mystery bites remain a 'mystery'.

Finally - if you are reading this please please please do NOT get treated for these bugs without proof. Do NOT put yourself through the nightmare of fighting these insects off without actually knowing you're fighting these things. Read the reviews for passive or active monitors, or how to properly search for them from the excellent PCO's on this site and look for them and if you don't find them patiently wait. I know that will be tough - lord knows I know - but please don't spend thousands of dollars, endless amounts of sanity and time fighting what could be a very different culprit.

89. KateBod

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 6:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All

I'm looking for interesting case studies to be featured in a series for Animal Planet, and was wondering if any of you who think you mayb hav had or know you've had a bird mite infestation would be willing to chat with me about it?

If you are interested get in touch via email and we can arrange a time for me to call you.

kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com

Thanks

Kate

90. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 6:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Please be sure that bird mites or rodent mites are correctly identified before labeling the incident a case of bird or rodent mite infestation or bite. Unexplained "bites" may have many etiologies, some of which have nothing to do with bites, insects, arachnids, etc.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  91. ExCruiser

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 9:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I am so sorry to learn that this scourge exists. Until a recent vacation, I had no idea that tiny mites or someother unknown parasite was wreaking havoc on people's lives. My nightmare started when I took a cruise in September. The cabin was definitely not as clean as it should have been. I immediately wiped everything down with Lysol and inspected the room for bed bugs. THe bed bug epidemic has been making the news and so that was the beast I was on guard against. I wanted to be extra careful so I called for the ships entomologist to look and be sure the room was clear. He came by and gave us the all clear. But, he did report our cabin attendant (completely on his own) for not keeping the room clean enough.

Well, the mystery bites started immediately that night. I felt like something was biting me and when I looked there was nothing there. sometimes in the spot where I felt a painful pinprick bite there would be a tiny hard, white thing. Which I dismissed at the time. But, there were bites that were showing up on me and my 3 year old. When I returned from the trip I left all the luggage in the garage.

Soon there were bites each morning, sometimes 3 in a row on my son and me. But, the strangest thing is that at night, it felt like something was in my eyebrows, going into my nose, my ears and my eyelashes. What??? I had never heard of such a thing. After some research I learned about the classic bed bug pattern of 2-3 bites in a row. I had a K9 unit come to the house and two seperate dogs with two different handlers alerted to my mattress and one night stand. I had a cryonite treatment immediately and bought all the mattress and pillow protectors and followed the protocol. No more big, patterned bites. But, the itchy, crawly face stuff kept getting worse. I definitely had something biting me in my ears during the day too. My son was pulling on his ears, he was scratching the palms of his hands with an unbelievable intensity. Then I found a tiny white bug on a hair. It was about 1/4 of an inch abovethe skin. It was tiny! It was definitely holding onto the hair shaft. After a super thorough inspection of both of us, nothing else was found. I took the specimen to a dermatologist that day. Unfortnately, he squished it, soaked it in alcohol and was unable to identify it. He said it wasn't scabies and it wasn't lice. He prescribed pymethrin 5% and a steroid cream.

I took my son to his pediatrician and she said the pymetrin would be ok for him and added a script for malathion for both of us. She was clearly concerned that it was not identifiable. She thought we brought back a mixture of bed bugs, lice and another unknown parasite.

After the treatment that evening, not another itch or bite for me. My son kept pulling on his ears and scratching his palms. I had an adverse reaction to either the pymethrin or malathion and ended up in the emergency room. However, I was bite free, itchy/ crawly free for a week. Then on the 7th night after the treatment it all started again! The feeling of movement and bites are in my hair, on my face and body (especiallly private area this time). My son is scratching his hands like crazy again and asking for the medicine for his hair. I keep finding the tiny, white hard things in places that itch. The pinprick bites are more painful now. My son winces in his sleep. I have a few strange pimple like bites on my face and a couple that are like whiteheads. I had perfectly clear skin prior to this.

We have been staying at my parents since my bad reaction, and so that eliminates a lot of the environmental issues. The bed bugs are definitely gone. I don't think I can tolerate another treatment of the same meds. I do not know what to do now.

I have been washing everything in borax and tide with bleach, let it soak for at least an hour and dry for 3 hours on high and bagging it. Change all bedding daily. Bag and wash all dirty clothes, linens daily. I have tried tea tree oil and listerene on the body and spraying the shower with windex. This has been my routine for 2 weeks. Not sure if any of it helps or if it is just keeping it from being way worse. I am especially concerned for my son. His face has bumps and red areas on it now too. His hands are red and scaly. I have seen a couple of tiny bites on his ears and one on his hand. So small I am not sure if it is a bite or his nail cutting him from his scratching.

any ideas or advice or insight???? Need help before this takes over.

92. Ilovepink1908

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 13:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all--very interesting thread here.

So, after having bbs a couple of years ago, I recently went through a bed bug paranoia, where I was actually getting mosquito bites and since there were multiple, had called in KillerQueen to do an inspection.

Well, you guessed it, there were no bed bugs. And today, I find random things on my sheets and send photos to KillerQueen and have had some board experts chime in as well. And, you guessed it, no bed bug signs.

So, I still end up every now and then with these very random "bites" that look exactly like the above commenter posted in those three pictures. I even have an identical mark on my hand. I know they are not bug bites because I respond very badly to bites on my body, and these are much smaller and do not itch. If anything, I notice them while I'm taking a shower, putting on lotion. And, that happen on my arms, legs, thighs and behind most often. Today, I went to go once and for all have the dermatologist biopsy me. And, he didn't need to, because according to him I have KERATOSIS PILARIS. This is interesting because I showed him a spot last night that was red and welted up like a bug bite, but it had a dot in the center. Well, wouldn't you know that dot was a clogged hair follicle? I also have this in common as I have over applied DE in my bedroom, right around the time I started getting these bumps again.

I'm just saying, especially post bed bugs, you are going to watch your skin. You probably scratch yourself when you have nightmares about bed bugs at night and all sorts of other things that simply cannot be explained. Chances are, the things you're experiencing aren't bug bites at all, but rather reactions to your environment or a skin condition you've probably always had or didn't notice/didn't become so obvious until after bed bug treatments. So there's hope no phantom bug or mite is biting you. But, I would certainly let the dermatologist biopsy if he's not certain what's going on. I think it's the best thing, but my derm refused because he recognized it right away and found the same thing on other itchy parts of my body.

Hope this helps,
    Pink

93. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 23:37:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I ordered a bottle of "Kleen-Green Naturally" (licesquad.com in Canada) for a potential bedbug issue - not sure if it is safe or would help, but I noticed the instructions included with the product include how to use it to get rid of 'mystery bites' and also how to treat 'biting mites.' Maybe that could help?

There seems to be a number of products with similar names - perhaps you could look at it on the above website to which one it is. It says it is pesticide free.

If anyone tries it and it helps, please let me know.

94. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 0:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bbs - 1 year ago  » 
    Hoping someone can help me as I am having a hard time discerning whether the bites I am in receipt of are in fact bed bug bites. They appear to be mosquito bites but I am located in NYC and I don't believe the weather is warm enough for mosquitos. They are itchy for a period of time and then eventually (within an hour or two) shrink to the size of a pimple. This is not my typical reaction to mosquito bites...that remain welts for a few weeks as I am sensitive to them.
    I have glue boards down for the last 2 weeks and the only think I have trapepd are spider beetles but I am under the impression spider beetles do not bite humans.
    Does anyone has any ideas what this might be?

I'm in NYC and I saw a mosquito buzzing around my vestibule today.

95. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 0:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to thank everybody for an extremely interesting thread. It stands to reason that bb's aren't the only insects making a comeback that is an exponential nightmare. In addition to our primary concern here I have also developed worry about carpet beetles.

And I think I feel things in my ears, but more on that and my welts tomorrow...

Meanwhile, nobugsonme posted this link a year or two ago:

http://bitingmites.org/

96. jp 5800

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 6:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm getting the same symptoms as yall.
    I really want it to end.
    Was sure that it was not bed bugs as I've been getting these bites for a year now and
    by then I would have found some evidence of bed bugs and they should have migrated to my brothers rooms and eaten them.

I want it to stop so badly. Nice to know I'm not crazy like my family thinks I am and there are
    other people with similar symptoms.

97. PANewBugger

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 6:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

While dealing with bed bugs, we also had to get rid of rat mites, which were confirmed at my husband's office. Unfortunately, they hitched a ride home. The mites were horrible - they bit us all the time, anytime. I work from home so would receive bites throughout the day. They were painful (felt like a quick pin prick). We both had crawling sensations all over our bodies. For us, the quick fix was to leave our place for several weeks. Since there was no proper host for them to survive in our apartment., with time, they would die. To keep the bed bugs in the master bedroom, we set up a bed bug beacon. Unfortunately, my husband's office still has a rodent issue so until that is resolved, the rat mites won't go away 100% but we've contained them with an extremely strict change of clothing ritual he goes through before coming home (also, helps in bed bug prevention). I wash his clothing in hot water with Borax, which helps. Also, the bed bug ritual of cleaning and bagging will help prevent them from infesting other items in your home. If you think you have mites, my advice is have PCO confirm them, and find and remove the source (bird's nest or rodents). If the source isn't in your home but you're bringing them into your place, if possible, you can do what we did - leave for a few weeks so that they die off. We also went to a dermatologist to make sure we didn't have scabies.

98. LAWoman

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 11:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh boy, reading everything on here I feel more assured that:

a) this is not just in my or anyone else's head and
    b) that we're reacting to something but it appears to be outside the usual parameters of bed bugs.

I've also been getting weird atypical bites/welts/itching and crawling sensations with the occasional biting sensation that everyone here describes. In fact I just posted my experience on this board asking if anyone has any information, clues, feedback that might help.

These are all things I've had in the past, but not for such an extended period of time (2 months) and no I have never had confirmed bed bugs in my place. I've had exposure to bed bugs which were date coincident with when my troubles began, but also date coincident with gophers showing up in my lawn outside. A K-9 inspection was done and no bugs were found and careful visual inspection by me and the K-9 PCO also did not find anything. One other PCO early on in this whole mess claimed to have seen bed bugs, but couldn't show me anything except what I later learned were carpet beetles. He wanted to bug bomb the place for a ridiculous amount of money after his five-minute inspection so I really doubt his word.

Last year I was taking Zyrtec prior to all of this. Stopped it and went through a cold turkey phase of mad itching that is apparently a sometimes side effect of this particular allergy medicine. I rode that out for a month and all was fine again - use Benadryl or Claritin now only. And that never gave me welts and I wasn't using Zyrtec when this all began either. Sigh. Also going through menopause and getting hot flashes which doesn't help. Ugh!

For those of you thinking and/or saying you have bird or rat mites how did you find that out? Did you see the mites and if so where and how did you ID them? I'm trying to find reliable, professional sources on these and how to look for them and treat them. There's alot of stuff on the Internet that seems well...not totally believable although I once thought that about bed bugs too. I found one tiny red crab-like looking bug in my bed that might have been a mite/spider and the K-9 dog and PCO looked at it and it wasn't a bed bug. No other such bugs found since then.

As to the hair follicle mites I've had that on and off for years and while it does cause itching and crawling/biting sensations I've never had welts from it. Ditto on the Keratosis Pilaris. Epsom salt/sea salt bath soaks, salicylic acid skincare products and proofing up my immune system with supplements like echinacia, vitamin c and b and good nutrition help and that soon goes away. But none of those actions seems to help this current bout of mystery bites and skin sensations even though at times I itch so badly on my scalp and neck that I'm convinced I have lice and comb my hair with a metal louse comb until the scalp nearly bleeds - nothing. And I know what lice look like since I once worked in the daycare/preschool industry. Also not all of my welts/bites are around a hair follicle and actually my body hair is very fine and/or nearly nonexistent.

One other possible explanation I've thought of is nerve damage caused by shingles. I had an outbreak last summer on my back and started to get them on my forehead and scalp four months ago before my doctor put me on Valtrex. That seemed to stop them before the blisters actually formed although I still get the occasional nerve sensation from that. But none of my current bites/welts even remotely resemble the shingles blisters - the itching though is very similar.

I will continue to search for answers and will happily share anything I find with everyone here. For now I'm back to doing the bed bug beacon, flea traps, and DE until I get some answers. But I'm not doing any treatments of anything until I get a positive ID on an actual bug that bites humans or it all stops since at otherwise it's a waste of time and resources. In the meantime I'll keep taking supplements, stick with substances I know don't irritate my skin and keep my house clean with lots of careful vacuuming and steam-cleaning. And try hard not to obsess about every little skin twinge and itch although that's not as easy to do as I'd like.

I will also check out the various links and information given here on mites and possible other sources. I'd be very interested to hear more about that avenue since it seems to fit more than bed bugs since whatever is after me seems to really like my long hair and the areas of skin that are touched by it. I'm pretty it's not an allergic reaction though since I've been using the same fragrance/paraben/sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners for a long time now.

99. nybugged

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2011 18:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ... I am new to this site and am having the same experiences many people are having with crawling bugs on face. With me it is worse since these bugs have moved to my hair. The only good news is that on one occasion i was able to capture a couple of them using RID system. These are NOT lice. I believe they are Bird Mites. I have an exterminator checking them, and will get result later in week. I wish I had sent them to Lou or another science lab, but I can let people know the result later in week hopefully. What you are experiencing is NOT in your head. These bugs are real. I wore some clothes which were sitting out on my chair for a day, and wow... i felt them crawling all over me. I am so exhausted by this and am feeling desperate. Does anyone still read this thread?

100. scaredpea

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2011 20:39:03
    #

Login to Send PM

this thread hits close to home here too.

what I've also noticed is that whatever it is that's causing these mystery bites it's often affecting households, not just an individual. so I'm close to ruling out skin conditions since that should be more individual specific. they started appearing on my son and daughter around the same time, and they only started appearing on my baby daughter within a few nights of her being moved from the bassinet in our room into the crib in her brother's room. it's environmental, not internal is my guess.

shortly after I noticed the pin prick rows of bites on my neighbours who share a wall and their kids. they're little little pin pricks sometimes just one, often in 2's and 3's very close together sometimes with a little scratch line that fades to just the clear pin prick marks that last up to a week. often they appear on the face. they look like the puncture of an immunization shot, but often the edge is a bit jagged.

we've had 2 K9 inspections that came up negative. no signs of bedbugs. but this wasn't happening before and something turned the scales (it started after my daughter was born in January so i often wonder if one of our post baby guests accidentally brought something in).

I'm seeing these pin prick bites on more people in our area, on kids at my son's daycare and heck on random on people in starbucks... and i really feel like something is going on. we're in a decent middle class area of a big city where most homes/condos are owner occupied like our own, so it's not a case of out of control bad landlord situations.

but something is up. I'm an educated rational person with a university degree in biology and it really seems evident to me that something is biting/puncturing ours and our neighbour's skins and it's not part of the usual suspects fleas/bedbugs/etc. I'd LOVE to find a cause or better a solution.

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

297,215 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls