Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

How to confirm if a car is infested or not?

(9 posts)
  1. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 6 2017 19:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have avoided driving since I found out of my infestation about 3 weeks ago. I do not know still if they are in my car or not - what is the best method to confirm the presence or lack thereof in the car? The PCO does not treat cars, but does provide a diy car spray for people. I don't know how to confirm I need it or not, though - I've read a lot on here about confirming infestations in homes and about treating cars, but I've yet to see: how do you confirm an infestation in a car?

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 8:02:43
    #

Login to Send PM

OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs - 12 hours ago  » 
    I have avoided driving since I found out of my infestation about 3 weeks ago. I do not know still if they are in my car or not - what is the best method to confirm the presence or lack thereof in the car? The PCO does not treat cars, but does provide a diy car spray for people. I don't know how to confirm I need it or not, though - I've read a lot on here about confirming infestations in homes and about treating cars, but I've yet to see: how do you confirm an infestation in a car?

It's hard to necessarily confirm. If you don't use the car now, you could set up an active monitor and try to catch any evidence that way.

But with cars, I think you more or less have to consider how likely it is that they are in there.

How bad is your infestation?
    Do you spend long amounts of time in the car?
    Did you store stuff that was possibly infested in the vehicle?
    How long do you think you had the infestation before you noticed it?

While I think cars get overlooked, I do think they only get infested in certain situations such as:

Use during long periods of an infestation.
    Use during mild to heavy infestations.
    The use of car seats and boosters.
    Use with long periods of travel during an infestation.
    Sleeping in the vehicle during an infestation.

Regardless you have options.

-Assume they are not in there and don't worry about it.
    -Use an active monitor to possibly catch any evidence then decide what to do.
    -Replace the vehicle.
    -Treat the vehicle one way or another by having it fumigated or using ddvp strips.

If I were you, not knowing the specifics of your infestation and since your not really using it currently, I'd put some ddvp strips in there for a few weeks just to be proactive.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 9:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

What "diy car spray" does your PCO provide? One of the pros here spoke favorably of a then new product for cars called "Nuvan Directed Spray Aerosol". It's part of the Nuvan Pro Strip product group.
    It's a pro product but I've seen it for sale on the DIY pest sites.

Richard

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 9:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 27 minutes ago  » 
    What "diy car spray" does your PCO provide? One of the pros here spoke favorably of a then new product for cars called "Nuvan Directed Spray Aerosol". It's part of the Nuvan Pro Strip product group.
    It's a pro product but I've seen it for sale on the DIY pest sites.
    Richard

I remember reading about it not long ago. I'd have to look again but my understanding is that it's a contact killer that also gives off fumes much like their strips but doesn't necessarily provide any residual. I'd probably use it in conjuction with their strips. If I was to treat a vehicle, I'd thoroughly vacuum it, steam it if I had a powerful enough steamer, use the nuvan spray then put some strips in the vehicle and close it up. Then after a month or so Id pull the strips out, air it out, and then apply some sort of residual spray, let it dry, then apply cimexa in a few spots. I think that'd be about the best DIY approach to a vehicle.

5. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 9 2017 16:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 days ago  » 

But with cars, I think you more or less have to consider how likely it is that they are in there.
    How bad is your infestation?
    Do you spend long amounts of time in the car?
    Did you store stuff that was possibly infested in the vehicle?
    How long do you think you had the infestation before you noticed it?
    While I think cars get overlooked, I do think they only get infested in certain situations such as:
    Use during long periods of an infestation.
    Use during mild to heavy infestations.
    The use of car seats and boosters.
    Use with long periods of travel during an infestation.
    Sleeping in the vehicle during an infestation.

OK, I can answer all of these, and i really appreciate you offering advice. This post makes me feel like I actually have little to worry about with my car, so I would love to expand on this and maybe see if I can at least get some peace of mind if nothing else - or get confirmation I should still self treat, or more. I have to end this infestation absolutely - I'm currently not working, so this is kind of the most acceptable time it could happen. My life is about bedbug destruction. Anyway, for your questions:

I feel I should lead with this - car is definitely messy. Papers, etc. If that colors your response any, I wanna get that out of the way now.

- Infesttion is light I would say, medium maybe at worst. My bed is pretty much the only place that seems to be infested, and I had a PCO treatment within a week of finding bedbugs. Second treatment in 2 days. The only times I have gotten in my vehicle since noticing I was completely 100% decontaminated in terms of freshly out of the shower and in heat-treated clothes in a sealed bag by the door. I refuse to enter the car any other way.

- I have agoraphobia and I am out of work. I drive a couple oi tims a week, nd not for more than 7 miles round trip hardly ever - that's my normal routine, prior to knowing of infestation. As I said, I do not drive at all now unless 100% decontaminated.

- Nothing has been stored in the vehicle at all that I know of that could be contminated with BBs. I have moved some used child's clothes and toys for my daughter a couple months back now, but I don't believe that to be the origin of the toys - mainly because they have been in storage for several years. Not months, but years. They also came from a home without bedbugs that has never had them. They came from a good friend's parent's home, I'm familiar with the home and certain of this. They are now in my mother's house, no bed bugs there. Nothing else at all has been in my vehicle that is questionable but myself before I knew of infestation.

- No car or booster seat in my vehicle.

- I've never slept in this vehicle. I used to spend a lot of time in it but that was about 8 months before this infestation began, so I don't see that being involved. Do correct me if I am wrong here, anybody.

Could I possibly have anything to worry about with the clothing and toys? They had been in storage for couple years and the home they came out of doesn't have BBs - is it possible they could somehow have been infested? Just being 100% parnoid/covering my bases. Other than that, based on my 100% honest description of my car - should I be worried?

I'd greatly appreciate the input of you and/or anyone else knowledgeable on this topic that I am sadly underinformed about. I am reading and learning, but sadly in this situation I have to act still faster than I am able to learn. I appreciate this forum being such a great solution to that harsh reality.

6. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 9 2017 18:37:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think you know the original source of your infestation? I ask because if you stored the toys and clothes in a storage unit, that could have been the source of your infestation. Unfortunately, people knowingly and unknowingly store infested items in storage units, which in turn infests them and future items stored in that unit.

Even with them being in storage for years, surrounding units could have had bugs that spread more recently to yours. Bed bugs will also search out any warm blooded animal to feed off of so they will find a way survive if there's blood in the air...

Just a possibility. Just try to cover all your bases cause if you leave bed bugs an opening, they'll take it.

7. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 3:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 8 hours ago  » 
    Do you think you know the original source of your infestation? I ask because if you stored the toys and clothes in a storage unit, that could have been the source of your infestation. Unfortunately, people knowingly and unknowingly store infested items in storage units, which in turn infests them and future items stored in that unit.
    Even with them being in storage for years, surrounding units could have had bugs that spread more recently to yours. Bed bugs will also search out any warm blooded animal to feed off of so they will find a way survive if there's blood in the air...
    Just a possibility. Just try to cover all your bases cause if you leave bed bugs an opening, they'll take it.

That's the thing.. the items were stored in my friends parents home, which is a single unit home that has never had them. Could there be any items stored long term in an uninfested home that could still carry bed bugs? If not, I can definitely say nothing in my car has been stored. But if they could still have been infested somehow... I don't see how but wanna make sure I'm covering all bases like you said.

8. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 10 2017 17:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If they were stored in a home and they weren't sealed and that home has not shown any signs of bed bugs to the best of your knowledge, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as those items go.

I think if I were you, I'd continue doing what you're doing, taking the decon precautions and covering all your bases. With the vehicle, I'd just do a thorough vacuum, steam clean it like crazy with a high temp. steamer if possible, then use that direct nuvan spray and I think you'd have nothing to worry about. Then if you wanted to, you could put a passive monitor under your drivers seat and check it once every week or two just for peace of mind.

9. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 11 2017 2:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 8 hours ago  » 
    If they were stored in a home and they weren't sealed and that home has not shown any signs of bed bugs to the best of your knowledge, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as those items go.
    I think if I were you, I'd continue doing what you're doing, taking the decon precautions and covering all your bases. With the vehicle, I'd just do a thorough vacuum, steam clean it like crazy with a high temp. steamer if possible, then use that direct nuvan spray and I think you'd have nothing to worry about. Then if you wanted to, you could put a passive monitor under your drivers seat and check it once every week or two just for peace of mind.

You're awesome. Thanks for the incredibly thorough responses. Bed bugs are such an uphill battle, it's hard to believe that anyone ever giving you a "positive" answer like this could ever be telling you the truth - I do appreciate you breaking down the situation and basically allowing me to see for myself why I am low risk, and still adding that I should do some cleaning and decon with Nuvan as well. This forum has been the only place I can get any honest, sane answers. Everyone in real life either thinks "it's just a bug, right" or "you clearly have to set all your stuff on fire and start over"... no in between. Thanks again for some realistic and useful advice, as well as some much needed reassurance.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com