Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

How to check for bedbugs in a computer tower?

(7 posts)
  1. usaradark

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 16 2015 18:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

About a month ago I confirmed that I was sleeping with bed bugs. My computer tower was positioned at the foot of my bed on the ground.We moved everything out and let them sit in the sun to die from heat, except my computer.

Is it safe for me to put my computer in the sun? I live in west and it's about 100 degrees outside for the time being.

Also, I would like to confirm that there are bed bugs in my computer before I do such a thing. Please note that there are fans in the tower, so is there a possibility that the eggs could fly out? I've heard of methods of placing double-sided tape around the computer to catch any bugs trying to flee, but I wonder as to if I should have the computer on when I do so or off.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 18:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Taking things outside to die doesn't really work.

You said you confirmed the infestation. How did you do that? Do you have pictures of samples for the pro's here to ID?

Not likely for a bug to be in a computer. The internal heat alone would most likley drive bugs away.

Eggs can't fly

3. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 18:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, I assume he meant if the eggs can be blown out.

4. usaradark

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 17 2015 21:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

As for outside, it's summer over here and it was well over the 100s. Everything was put in bags so they would heat up. They were outside for 6 weeks+

One of my relatives had bed bugs and they traveled from his home to my bedroom (he slept in my room).

There were many blood stains on the bed, I was constantly itchy at night, and we killed a few and confirmed them. I have a Tempurpedic, which was too think to be nested in, but my bed frame was where they were at.

What I found odd was that there were these black dots in the corner of my bed, could they be the waste?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 14:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

usaradark - 17 hours ago  » 

What I found odd was that there were these black dots in the corner of my bed, could they be the waste?

Possibly, yes. If you post a photo here, someone may be able to ID them.

If bed bugs were inside the computer tower (and as KQ explained above this isn't a common problem), putting things outside in the heat isn't considered reliable because the items have to not only get hot enough to kill bed bugs at their core (which is not the same as the outside temperature), but they have to maintain them long enough to kill the bed bugs and/or eggs inside.

I don't know if leaving it in the sun might also damage your computer. You'd have to ask the manufacturer.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 18 2015 15:25:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Might work based on this article and an anecdotal experiment. (Note that clear plastic bags were used, not the typical dark ones). http://insectsinthecity.blogspot.com/2014/01/is-your-customer-left-holding-bag.html

That said, personally I'd use DDVP strips or the Rag in the Bag Protocol. http://cirkil.com/rag

But if you're going with heat, make sure you monitor the temperature of the tower plus check with manufacturer to make sure you won't fry it.

Richard

7. WhatBugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2015 7:24:14
    #

Login to Send PM

usaradark - 2 days ago  » 
    ...We moved everything out and let them sit in the sun to die from heat, except my computer.
    Is it safe for me to put my computer in the sun? I live in west and it's about 100 degrees outside for the time being....

Put it in a clear plastic bag and place it in the sun up off the ground. The storage temperature of consumer electronics is in excess of 200* F (93* C). So no worries about killing the PC.

Heat in electronics is a problem when the unit is powered up. As that generates more heat within the chips themselves. Note that while soldering the components to the board an excess of 400* F (204* C) is required to melt and flow the solder.

WhatBugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest