How to avoid taking bedbugs with me on vacay

(6 posts)
  1. Ash225

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 12:13:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We will be staying with our in laws. Should i just buy new luggage to be safe? I’m looking through my suitcase now and i don’t see any evidence. Going to vacuum the inside just to be safe. I stayed at a hotel and airbnb in arizona about a month before we started dealing with this issue so for all i know that’s where this all came from(i don’t think it is but theres no way to know i guess). Let me know what the best protocol is. For reference: i think i have a pretty low level infestation. I have found four actual bugs, but i get bites 1-3x per week(usually 1 or 2 bites at a time). I keep my luggage in a room that is attached to my bedroom.

2. anonabug

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 0:05:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgive me, this is going to sound harsh, but you really need to consider whether you have to make this trip.

If you didn't have bedbugs, and you knew that someone was coming to visit you from a household that had them, what would you want them to do? If it were me, I wouldn't want them to come stay over at all. If they had to come, in order to make sure that they didn't bring a single egg into the house, I would ask them to do this:

Do not use suitcases. Bring with you as little as possible, in soft bags that you can run through the dryer on high. Before you leave, dry the bags and everything you plan to bring and then pack them away from sleeping rooms or couches, and put the bags out in the garage - in other words, do every thing you can to ensure that you are not transporting eggs before you leave. You can do laundry every day if necessary at your in-laws, so you don't have to bring a lot with you. Do not bring anything that cannot be put in the dryer, or in the oven on low.

When you arrive, shoes get taken off before you enter the house, and go straight into the dryer. Everything that you bring with you - the stuff in the soft bags, and the soft bags themselves, your coats, and other outerwear - stays outside until it can all be run through the dryer on high. You take clothing off and put it straight into the wash and then in dryer until bone dry (and since you have nothing to wear yet, you might as well go shower, not that bedbugs travel on people). Your shoes go in the dryer on high, or the oven on low - we have an electric oven that can be set to 130 degrees - but if they don't, then wear canvas sneakers that can go through the dryer.

I don't know what you can do about your cell phones. They can't be baked. They can't go in the dryer. And I'm sure that they have been in the bedrooms at home. I guess that they could go in an oven like mine that can be set to 130 degrees. After all, cell phones get left in hot cars in direct sunlight, and live to tell the tale. But I sure wouldn't want to put mine in the oven! I suppose that you could keep the cellphones in a ziploc bag, and leave them out in the garage, or if you're going to the sunbelt, leave them in a ziploc in a hot car in the sun to bake.

And if all this sounds crazy to you, think how you would feel if you were to bring this miserable plague to your in-laws. Have you told them that you are having trouble with bedbugs? Do they know what they're risking having you come to stay?

When my son came to stay with us at my mother in law's, coming from an apartment where he'd had bedbugs a couple of months beforehand, and we couldn't be absolutely sure at that point that the treatment had definitively worked, I had him come with only the clothes on his back. I took him shopping for new clothing (always a pleasure for a mother), and sent him home with an old suitcase of ours, filled with new clothing. We put his sneakers through the dryer when he arrived, and had him shower and put on some of my husband's clothing, while his was in the wash and dryer. I was just so terrified of him bringing bedbugs somehow into my mother in law's house.

And when my kid travels, I have him do exactly what I've told you to do. The only thing is that he cannot travel with only a soft bag, so we leave the suitcase outside the house. But we dry everything that he brings back with him.

I think you need to have your spouse have a serious discussion with his parents about whether visiting before you definitively have gotten rid of the bedbugs is a good idea.

3. Ash225

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 0:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My mother in law is aware of our situation. She is a landlord and also a property manager down in florida and understands the situation and how severe it can be. My husband was there for a week last month and brought one soft bag and dried everything on high heat immediately and changed his clothes to a pair he had there already.

This is what we plan on doing when we get there. We also are washing and drying everything before we pack it as well. Thanks for your other tips.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 5:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The risk of transfer is proportional to the level of your infestation, the lower the infestation the lower the risk and higher = consider not making the trip because you will reduce the efficiency of your treatment program.

If it’s light enough see the FAQ on not taking bedbugs places with you and look at running a bed bug beacon in the room while your away.

If your finding it hard to find signs the risks are low to begin with and thus the risk shifts to “picking up en route”.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Ash225

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 8:36:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thanks for clarifying. I do believe our infestation is light, but i guess i also don’t have much to compare it to other than extreme cases i read about on here(i try not to read any other bb info on the internet other than this site).

We leave today, but i am going to read up on the bedbug beacon right mow

Thanks again

6. SalsaVince

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jan 17 2019 12:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

When my mom stayed with us overnight one night during her infestation, I admit that I was really nervous. It was only about 2 weeks earlier that I had found dozens of bugs in her chair so I knew we were still fighting them. I had her put her clothes in a shopping bag and I did run them through the dryer when she came over just to be safe even though they came from a previously heat treated bag in her apartment. She was careful with her purse to always keep it in her dining room and up off the floor so that it would be unlikely to have bugs in it. I think if you take precautions like that, you're erring on the side of caution and giving yourself and your family peace of mind. You need to be able to visit with family and friends while you're going through this stress. The worst thing you could do is just imprison yourself at home and suffer alone. As long as you are careful, and don't have an out of control infestation all over your apartment, there should be minimal risk. No need to bake phones. Enjoy your vacation.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

289,775 posts in 48,424 topics over 150 months by 21,317 of 21,693 members. Latest: Dingo50, annastl, jeezlouise