Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

How to avoid bringing bed bugs home with me from a work site?

(3 posts)
  1. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 18:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all!

I was exposed to bed bugs at a work site about two weeks ago. I've spent the last while freaking out and tearing apart my room, looking for signs--so far, I have none. I've found some cast skins that appear to be from carpet beetle larva, and I've ordered a steamer so that I can have the peace of mind of steam cleaning my rugs, mattress, and bed frame while I continue to monitor for any activity (no bites, and the only marks on my mattress appear to be make up smuges and pen smears, though I found one mark that worried me, I've been unable to find anything bb related, a bug itself, or anything else like that other than the carpet beetle skins (if I can manage to upload the pictures, I'll post them here for ID).

So, I don't think I have any bugs to worry about. However, tomorrow, I have to return to this work site. Other than having a change of clothes ready for me in the garage when I get home, and immediately putting my clothes in a bag to put in the wash, how can I avoid bringing bbs home with me? I'll be at the worksite, seated, for a few hours. Is it overkill to put plastic over my car seats, or anything like that? How can I be sure I don't bring any bbs home with me in my clothes or my bag?

Thanks!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 18:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

OhnO:
    "Other than having a change of clothes ready for me in the garage when I get home, and immediately putting my clothes in a bag to put in the wash, how can I avoid bringing bbs home with me? I'll be at the worksite, seated, for a few hours. Is it overkill to put plastic over my car seats, or anything like that? How can I be sure I don't bring any bbs home with me in my clothes or my bag?"
    Put clothes in bag and put in dryer. You can wash after, then dry. If you carry bags, wear coats, you can put these in large zip lock bags while in office. Do you know where in this place the bugs were staying? Desk chair? What type of work site is it? Many desks, cubicles, lockers? Closets for outer clothing?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 26 2017 22:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    OhnO:
    Put clothes in bag and put in dryer. You can wash after, then dry. If you carry bags, wear coats, you can put these in large zip lock bags while in office. Do you know where in this place the bugs were staying? Desk chair? What type of work site is it? Many desks, cubicles, lockers? Closets for outer clothing?

I have no idea where the bugs are--I'm a researcher and have been conducting interviews in this office (I say "worksite" loosely. Field site is more accurate. Anecdotally, the problem is much better than before, but one worker did find a bug crawling on them. I'm not sure if they've treated the problem professionally or not. It's not my own place of work, I'm just a visitor, so I'll be in an office or a conference room, with my coat draped on a chair or on a table, and if I have a bag, the same.

My coat, fortunately, can be cleaned in the dryer on high heat--I've done it many times since realizing I'd been exposed earlier. It's wicked cold tomorrow, but I might just leave my coat in the car when I arrive, sealed in a bag. I think that I may just not bring a bag--everything I need for my visit tomorrow, I can carry in my hands. I've already cleaned my car out and tomorrow will remove the floor pads so I can vacuum my car once I'm home. I plan to put plastic on the seats to sit on, on the drive home. If I don't take off my coat before I go in, I'll have a trash bag ready to put it in since most likely it'll just be sitting on my chair while I'm at work.

The site is a community health center--so it's an office building with offices, meeting rooms, and a milieu space for clients (this is where their bed bugs came from).

If I take these precautions, do you think I can reasonably assume I've avoided bringing anything home with me?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug