Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

how the climb ups work

(7 posts)
  1. Beingbitten77

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 2:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

How come bed bugs can crawl into the climb up traps and not out? I know the powder makes it hard for them to climb , but I also heard that they cannot climb on smooth surfaces such as plastic, so how would they be able to climb into them? I'm 10 til 55 days no bites,and no sightings in my climb ups. I keep worrying they are still in my baseboards and carpet and just can't get to me on my couch because of the climb ups

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 13:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Beingbitten77 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I'm 10 til 55 days no bites,and no sightings in my climb ups. I keep worrying they are still in my baseboards and carpet and just can't get to me on my couch because of the climb ups

Since they haven't got to your question yet, I'll keep you company with this thought.
    Till the pro's come along..

If the bb's where there in the carpet/ baseboards & can't get to you by normal means ,they will find a way ,an alternative route when hungry enough or tempted enough.

Take for example one of my experiences.
    I had stooped altogether sitting / napping on sofa, after I caught one that had woke me while nibbling on my arms.
    About 2-3 days later sitting at my computer about 6' away, computer chair has smooth plastic legs
    with place to put me feet up on.
    I saw some thing dark move on the ceiling , as I looked up & towards it, something feeling like a sunflower seed hit on top my head. I seen nothing on the ceiling after looking back up.

I ruffled my hair with out finding anything & not really thinking anything about bb's.
    I left home about 5 minutes later & an hour after that had two bb looking bite reactions show up on my neck & collar bone area.
    looking back I'm inclined to think it was the example of alternate route ceiling jumper..It probably got off me at the next stop. When I say ceiling jumper I mean it crawled up and across the ceiling dropping down on my head.. I've heard Its been know to happen if they are hungry enough.
    So I isolated the sofa with dust & no more bb's have been seen or found @ home.
    Would you say:
    #1.. I isolated all of them within the sofa circle.
    #2.. They just can't get to me due to the dust in one place.
    #3.. The problem was only located in the sofa & it's resolved now isolated until treated.
    #4 They are in the carpet & baseborads but can't get to me any place but on the sofa.
    My thoughts : If you have them ,they will find you, an they will find you sooner then later because it's in there nature.
    Congrats on the 45days ! don't worry be happy..

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 13:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best way to describe how they are supposed to work is to look at the 1865 patent application:

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=00057338&SectionNum=4&IDKey=234756A80D37&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526p=1%2526u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526co1=AND%2526d=PALL%2526s1=0057,338.PN.%2526OS=PN/0057,338%2526RS=PN/0057,338

The idea is to create a pitfall which insects get trapped in because they fall in and cant climb out.

I am not a fan of this approach myself as I have found that in field tests it can slow the time it takes to resolve an infestation based on our tests in 2007 and 2008.

There are certainly faster ways to get that all clear.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2015 14:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

How come bed bugs can crawl into the climb up traps and not out? I know the powder makes it hard for them to climb , but I also heard that they cannot climb on smooth surfaces such as plastic, so how would they be able to climb into them?

The outer surfaces have roughened surfaces or tape.
    Take a look at these videos of bed bugs climbing on glass
    [+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

You can see other videos of bed bug behavior here, too.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lougentpix/videos

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2015 0:05:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting info. Thanks!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Beingbitten77

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2015 0:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahh, yes, just felt the outter side and its rough so yes, I can see now how they could climb and get caught now , phew. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure this not seeing any bugs or getting bites is legit and they aren't just cut off, I want them gone.

loubugs - 9 hours ago  » 

How come bed bugs can crawl into the climb up traps and not out? I know the powder makes it hard for them to climb , but I also heard that they cannot climb on smooth surfaces such as plastic, so how would they be able to climb into them?

The outer surfaces have roughened surfaces or tape.
    Take a look at these videos of bed bugs climbing on glass
    You can see other videos of bed bug behavior here, too.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lougentpix/videos

7. Beingbitten77

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2015 0:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I honestly just couldn't find a way to visually see and I wanted to be certain. I had a passive monitor on my couch when I saw the last bed bug in my home (hopefully no more for good) and they didn't go into my passive monitor and it was clear. My couch has been chemically treated and I just had to find a way to count the days. I'm coming close to almost 55 days now. I hope that's good

bed-bugscouk - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    The best way to describe how they are supposed to work is to look at the 1865 patent application:
    http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=00057338&SectionNum=4&IDKey=234756A80D37&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526p=1%2526u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r=1%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526co1=AND%2526d=PALL%2526s1=0057,338.PN.%2526OS=PN/0057,338%2526RS=PN/0057,338
    The idea is to create a pitfall which insects get trapped in because they fall in and cant climb out.
    I am not a fan of this approach myself as I have found that in field tests it can slow the time it takes to resolve an infestation based on our tests in 2007 and 2008.
    There are certainly faster ways to get that all clear.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,395 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson