How smart ARE these bugs?

(10 posts)
  1. Scritch

Acct closed: now skritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 11:27:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to the bedbugs, I now sleep covered head to toe. I sleep in jeans with socks pulled up over them. On top I wear a tank top, a tee shirt and a hoodie. On my arms I wear above-the-elbow length gloves (they're flimsy so I wear a pair of fingerless cotton gloves over them), I pull hoodie sleeves over them. On my head I wear the hoodie hood and a flimsy scarf over my face. I also put a hair band on each arm because the hoodie sleeves are sort of loose. (This is a really comfortable way to sleep in summer. Not.)

And yet they still bite me, mostly on the arm. Are they smart enough to find their way through all these layers, bite me, and get back out again? It seems like they'd have to be some kind of crazy smart for a bug.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 12:24:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Not smart. They're instint driven bugs. They will get under clothes if that is what it takes to eat.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 12:35:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear scritch,

As ashamed points out these are bugs (actually insects) and act on instinct.

As humans perhaps we discount that these critters can crawl from about four to five feet per minute (which equals about 22 hours per mile for those of you into statistics) but that they have virtually "all night" to get to you while you sleep.

While we read that you're taking some precautionary steps in trying to cover up as a way to prevent bites it is possible that the bed bugs are finding ways through your sleep clothing and/or able to bite you directly though the garment materials.

The materials from which both mattress safe and protect-a-bed encasements are made are tested and proven bed bug bite proof. Bed bugs are not able to penetrate these materials with their piercing sucking moutparts. Basically there are two ways to prevent bites; have a material that a bed bug cannot penetrate or have a material that is ticker than the effective length of the bed bug moutparts.

Hope this helps, good luck ! paul b.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 13:17:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just playing devils advocate for a second but as this would seem unusual behaviour for bedbugs can I ask what confirming signs you have found, i.e.:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

It may be that the cause of your skin reactions is not bedbugs. Under clothes makes me think of carpet beetles more than bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 13:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

What David & Paul said.

If it's BB, then they are going to try and feed. If you leave them no option when you sleep, they will try and feed at other times. If it's BB, they could be feeding on you when you are not bundled up, but the reactions manifest overnight. Also, if it's BB and some happen to get inside your clothes while you're not wearing them, they'll be free to feed on you later.

I recall our host "Nobugsonme" saying that when she had her original infestation, she would expose some body part for BB to feed on.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Scritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 0:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, the first infestation was definitely bedbugs. I saw and squished a bunch of them, they were brownish round of varying sizes and full of blood that squirted out. I'd find them crawling on the walls or on the bed. I also killed some nymphs. The inspector came and confirmed, and the exterminator called while he was working to say he'd found bedbugs in my guitar and did I want it treated or tossed?
    Yesterday I found a bug crawling in my closet. I didn't think it was a bed bug as it looked like it might have wings. My landlord came by and said it wasn't a bedbug.

I did see about 4 bed bugs in the weeks right after the extermination but I haven't seen any since -- just bites that seem exactly the same.

What are the differences in terms of nuisance and treatments between bed bugs and carpet beetles? Do carpet beetles feed on humans to the extent bed bugs do? And what about "under clothes" makes you think it's carpet beetles? (Maybe it's all of them -- it's summer after all - Bugfest!)

I don't know how to recognize casings and I have found hard black things on the bed that I've thought might be fecal matter but I don't know how to ID it for sure.

Thank you for helping!!!!

7. Scritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 0:11:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto, I''ve thought of leaving a foot exposed, but they bit me so many hundreds of times in the month before i knew I had bedbugs that I hate the idea of getting fed on again.

Also, I think you also sent me a private message but I haven't been able to open it; I think because there's no subject line.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 4:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It is always worth posting a pic for a second opinion, it would not be the first time there had been an incorrect ID.

For info on carpet beetles see this document:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

The reason why I say bites under clothes makes me thing of CB's not BB's is that often when there are ongoing reactions under clothes it turns out to be them and not bedbugs. This can be both in place of bedbugs and also people noticing an increased sensitivity post bedbugs.

Below are some pictures including cast skins:

Slide7

Slide6

Slide3

Hope that helps.

David

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 7:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear scritch,

You can also visit you tube to see a bunch of videos of live bed bugs there if this would help to better familiarize you.

Let us know if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 9:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetles don't feed on people, but their larvae (typically brown "worms" about a cm long) have splinter-like hair that cause "bite" like irritations for some people. If you're sensitive, you needn't contact the larva itself: Contact with a shed hair on a surface is sufficient to cause irritation. More info in the links provided above. Never mind the PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,415 posts in 50,190 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams