How reliable is packtite?

(37 posts)
  1. freetobe

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 13:44:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Would you feel confident visiting with people who you know have bedbugs in their home knowing that you would just put your stuff into a packtite when you got home? I am considering buying one so that I can comfortably hang out with certain friends. Might the packtite still possibly miss one? Would it be foolish to hang out with someone with their ongoing DIY treated bb problems at home even if I'm using this product?

Also does the heat in the packtite cause certain things, like smelly shoes to get even more smelly/cause my place to smell up from the shoes/sweaty underwear/whatever else that is in the machine?

Thanks.

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 15:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved bed bug free with the use of a pack tite. Used properly, you can travel safely using it.

I packtited my clothing and bags and stored them in ziplocks until I was ready to leave the house.

3. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 15:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It's only effective if you place the temperature sensor in the most insulated part of the items, and wait patiently for killing temps to hold at the required time as stated in the manual.

I find it best to put items like clothing in the dryer and use the packtite for shoes, empty luggage, toiletries, etc.

As for the last question regarding odor, I can't comment since I have not put anything that smelly in it yet.

4. wontbugmywits

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 19:19:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtiting shoes probably works, but I doubt you can do it too many times. Eventually they'll become deformed or the glue will come loose etc. Why not take your shoes off outside the door and bag them up before entering the infested location or you could get some cheap sandals for a dollar and bag/toss them upon leaving. I've seen flip flops at Walmart for $1-2.

As for the clothes, I think a hot wash, hot dryer is the best way to go. But I'm sure street clothes being heated for a few minutes wouldn't matter as long as you wash them after. Putting in a sweaty gym shirt is probably a different story.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 20:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtites have been proven extensively to work well.

You can be confident that if you use it properly-- monitoring temperatures and not overpacking are essential -- it will work.

However, think about what happens when you leave your friends. Do you expose your car? Cars don't usually get infested but it can happen. Did you walk through your home and drop a hitchhiker en route to the Packite?

To some degree you can't remove all risk. We can't strip naked at the friends' door and drive home or ride the subway that way. We can't teletransport ourselves from the front door to the Packtite. That said, you can probably reduce risk to a great degree if you're careful and have a good plan.

(Note these are all problems not exclusive to Packtites, but they apply with dryers too. I like and use the Packtite because it can treat many items dryers can't.)

I think everyone should monitor on an ongoing basis, because we are all in danger of exposure. It gives peace of mind and increases the possibility of early detection, which makes bed bugs much easier to eliminate in the unfortunate event they are introduced.

You can, of course, be exposed to bed bugs wthout any warning and in any location. However, I would not choose to socialize in the home of someone currently getting bed bug treatment. There are risks involved. I would prefer to meet them in public spaces until the problem is resolved.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 20:40:08
    #

Login to Send PM

With the warm weather, you could meet your friends outside. They also have a better chance of decontaminating and leaving their place, getting in a car/subway, and meeting you..without spreading the bugs..then you do..visiting an infested place and then leaving, taking your car or subway, etc. Maybe if you bring a change of clothes/shoes, it would improve your chances.

Packtite shouldn't be used for wet items. I tend to bag shoes. It can take a while for them to dry in a plastic bag.

The packtite will "bake in" odors. I tend to put coats in after use but wash most clothes.

As nobugs points out, you have to consider whether you are walking through the house to get to the dryer or packtite.

I had the glue come out of some of my shoes. I took it for shoe repair and had them use nails/staples vs. glue.

Good luck.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 4:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We use data loggers inside each run on the PackTites and must have done over 400 runs so far between 1 original and 2 closets. Some weeks we are doing 3 runs per day per closet dealing with people possessions and luggage.

To date I have not had a single failure that was due to the unit (we lost power one day and it reset part way through the run) but the log tags picked up on the fact and all we needed do was restart it.

I have not noticed any significant issues with older items and odour but we do have a large warehouse with high ceilings so it is not something we would necessarily notice.

In fact PackTite is one of the few bedbug related products I have a high level of confidence in, its certainly the gold standard for decon.

I should actually do a full test work up on the unit at some stage to go along with the other systems we ave tested although the others have all failed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 7:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I misread this as you visiting a fiend who was not infested.

I did that multiple times with a packtited objects. During the hurricane, I stayed multiple nights with packtited stuff and ziplocks.

My friend visited me to help in my initial clean up. She didn't sit down and brought a change of clothes in a ziplock. She wore shoes she was comfortable throwing away. She worked away from the infestation as much as possible. She was a lifesaver. I wouldn't do it casually just to visit. If its a necessity because the person isn't physically capable of doing it all alone, that's different. Just be very proactive about the steps you take. Obviously, people work in infested/prone to Infestment buildings. They're doing stuff to prevent the spread. However, the risks are too high for a social visit.

I did not have a problem with smells lingering in packtited objects.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 8:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are planning a trip to a suspect zone, try and take clothes and shoes that can handle the laundry and/or packtite, can be easily washed in hot soapy water or at least inspected; scrubs, sweats, hoodies, plastic poncho, "Croc"-type shoes (hardware removed).

Any accessories, electronics, etc. should be sealed up when not in use when at the suspect home.

As noted above, your car is a concern, so you need "safe" clothes and shoes to wear on your drive back home (and any intermediate trips in your car).

Additional ideas in our travel FAQ.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 8:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We have actually been selling Packtites for almost four years now, and yes I use my own product after I visit an infested property. Seems like only yesterday I was putting these together in my basement.

Disclaimer: I invented and manufacture Packtite.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 9:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 29 minutes ago  » 
    We have actually been selling Packtites for almost four years now, and yes I use my own product after I visit an infested property. Seems like only yesterday I was putting these together in my basement.
    Disclaimer: I invented and manufacture Packtite.

Yes but I have never put the PackTite through the usual testing and data collection procedure so although we know it works we have never made a direct comparison to other systems. Do you care to accept my challenge to send me one for testing, the same protocol as the last thermal test we published? Due to the distance and fact that we are a live testing facility I could not in all honesty send the item back to you so it would be a one way trip as it were.

David

PS This is in no way connected with the fact that I need to increase the decon facility throughput in time for the sporting event about to occur in my city.

12. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 9:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol, I see right thru you Mr. Cain. You conveniently want a free unit to add to your collection....errrr I mean test. If you had any more packtites you'd need a new wing at your office.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 9:38:35
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Lol, I see right thru you Mr. Cain. You conveniently want a free unit to add to your collection....errrr I mean test. If you had any more packtites you'd need a new wing at your office.

No.

We moved into premises based on the fact it was large enough to run 20 closets so all we need to is activate another bay and install the heat exchanger to collect the exhaust power and sell it back to the national grid.

You cant blame me for trying to get a free one although I do like the idea of Patrick comparing the assembly instructions with what else has been sent.

David

14. Doglady

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 21:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtite experts. When ordering from US Bedbug Co in the US do you know if they are sent discreetly? I'm concerned that the sender company name will be on the outside as packages are held in the building management office if they're oversized for the mailbox.

Wld like to hear from someone in the US who had it delivered if it was confidential or not. They already said they won't deliver to a p.o. box which would be perfect. As a last resort I guess I could intercept the ups guy in the hallway the day it is due but that is risky. Any ideas welcome.

Tx.

15. Doglady

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2012 20:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Just letting readers know in 'resources' I found that it says US BB co is discreet when shipping. So I can order a packtite - phew.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 0:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, there's an article about US Bed Bugs and their policies-- it's actually on the Useful Stuff page, rather than Resources.

17. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 11:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to respond to doglady: I had it delivered and it was confidential. I think it says Northshore

David James: Make David Cain pay..don't you have to adapt his packtites (for different electrical outlets)

18. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 9:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

How reliable are Packtites for decontaminating books? I have a [b]ton that I really would rather not part with. Some, I currently require for my work. Has anyone ever seen a Packtite fail to get every last bb in a book? Even a small chance that it might not work on books is not good enough for me. Or are there alternatives to bagging and storing for a year when it comes to books?

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 12:54:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You can treat books in a Packtite. Put the temperature probe in the center of the book in the center of the pile. Monitoring temperatures properly is your assurance that it's working.

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 13:40:24
    #

Login to Send PM

As luck would have it I have a testing book with the central pages cut out to fit a log tag. I will set up a run tonight and see if I cant put the data online to show you tomorrow. I have personally never had an issue and we offer book decon as part of our service portfolio so if there was a failure I am sure an irate customer who have let me know.

I did have no potential failure the other day but it turned out the voltage transformer was fault and blew a fuse but that was clear from the temperature probes and after a quick diagnostic and switching to the back up transformer all was fine. The technical support was good although the bloke on the phone kept asking me if "I was sure I was not the one who charged something to his hotel room in Chicago last year".

David

PS I forgot to say the book is Harry Potter, we will be testing 50 shades of Grey once I have finished with it although it may be hot enough already to kill bedbugs

21. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 17:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Please advise the duration of time the treatment in a Pak-tite would take when de-lousing books.
    I am also experimenting with a micro-wave right now in eliminating all stages of b-b infestation. How does the microwave compare, both in temperature level and length of time required for the problem to be eliminated? The base line for comparison could be a book 9 x 10" by 2' thick. It has occurred to me, when using a microwave, that the warm stage could be extended with the use of a thermal sleeve. Please help me choose the best path. The budget is rather strained, which is why I am considering two options for this purpose.

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 17:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Stop with the microwave immediately it is not safe to use it for that purpose.

David

23. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain, I currently packtite only one or two books (that I take in my backpack) at a time. I think an interesting test would be your one poorly written book by an English author (Shades of Grey will put the bedbugs asleep) in the middle of 30 books and see how long it needs to "cook". The 30 books could be written by excellent English authors.

P.S. Where is bedbug undertaker? She was always so interesting.

24. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:41:56
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I forget to mention that I place a half cup of water on top of the book as it is microwaving. What would be considered dangerous about microwaving?

25. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT, which size of Packtite are you referring to? And for how approx. long would the one or two books need to be in there?

26. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 19:50:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a packtite closet (but I also have a regular packtite).

David Cain or David James..am I doing this right? I open the book in the packtite closet and spread it out on the bottom rack..I figure this makes the book less thick and it has good airflow. I probably never need to leave things in longer than 2 hours but I always do three in the packtite closet.

Letsbeatit..love your name..you may want to PM Ashamed and Scratching or someone else who moved without bugs with the regular packtite. I think it takes longer in a regular packtite. When I use it, I tend to just run small loads. With summer, I'm just running the closet every other day. I put items in a plastic ziploc until I do it. I've been just risking purse and shoes on the off day since I carry them to work and change into the shoes and take out the purse there (i ride transit in sandals in the summer)

27. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 10:35:32
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-i-microwave-my-books

Just found an answer. Thank you, and sorry to repeat q's.

28. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 12:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To come back on topic.

I ran the closet last night and the log tag on the inside of the book reached critical death temperature for bedbugs (130F) in 82 minutes.

I can put the files online as a PDF in the next few days if anyone wants to see them.

Edited to add book was placed in flat so there is no need to fan the books out.

David

29. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 11:02:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Any info you think would be helpful, David and others. I would appreciate.
    I don't know if the packtite is the most prudent way to go about getting rid of the bedbugs. I have read some stories on here of possible failures. Nothing really, is 100% effective and I don't want to take even a smallest chance, any more...
    At the moment, I am considering walking away from everything, paying someone to toss all my stuff and starting a new life somewhere else.
    I have spent one week of absolute bliss at my sister's. I have brought nothing of mine into her house except the (cleaned and well dried!!!!) clothes on my back. I don't want to go home!!!!!

30. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 11:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The only failures I know of concern people not placing the temperature probe in the center of items that they are treating, meaning the air temps inside get to temp but they didn't treat long enough for the center of the pile of clothes to get hot enough. Sadly enough people eat undercooked turkey all the time every day making the same mistake. Of course their are those who use the unit to solve a problem that actually isn't bed bugs or any type of actual bug. Libraries all over the country have used packtites to decon books for years now, here is one example http://www.kristv.com/news/kingsville-bed-bugs/

Disclaimer I make packtite.

31. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 12:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Letsbeatit - 1 hour ago  » 
    Any info you think would be helpful, David and others. I would appreciate.
    I don't know if the packtite is the most prudent way to go about getting rid of the bedbugs. I have read some stories on here of possible failures. Nothing really, is 100% effective and I don't want to take even a smallest chance, any more..

Hi,

I strongly disagree, I have never had a failure as a result of the PackTite, I have done over 400 runs and would trust the PackTite if correctly monitored to more accurately decon items than I could with my own eyes.

I appreciate that bedbugs can be stressful but with all due respect you are allowing anxiety to get the better of you on this one. Call that tough love but I would not use them in my business is they were even only 99.99% reliable. We are a 100% or nothing company.

David

32. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 13:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I ran the closet last night and the log tag on the inside of the book reached critical death temperature for bedbugs (130F) in 82 minutes][i][/quote]

I have been running my packtite until it reaches 120F then for an additional 1-2 hours after. Usually running a carry on luggage piece with shoes, work papers, books. Clothes I normally run through a hot dryer for at least an hour (have noticed that if I packtite clothing it tends to "set " in wrinkles, making them harder to remove later). Is 120F not high enough for a time starting point on the packtite? Should I be heating until it reaches 130F first then starting timing?

I should also mention that I have the original packtite. The closet is on my wish list since I would love to be able to hang the clothes.

33. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 13:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bedbuganxiety,

120 F then 1 - 2 hours is correct as per the PackTite instructions.

At 120 F it takes a short while to kill bedbugs and their eggs, 130 F is the immediate death temperature for bedbugs and their eggs so even 1 nano second at that temp is enough.

You are doing things correctly so please do not succumb to the addictive paranoia that is sometimes rife and when you are doing it right carry on rather than reading around and getting confused or unduly worried.

David

34. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 13:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you for the quick response! Just saw the "130F" and thought, "Holy Hell, am I doing it wrong??" BTW, one of my cousins will be at the Olympics as a US coach and I've told him about you should he need your services while across the pond.

35. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 13:41:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know of any failures that weren't of my own error.

That's why I ran my things through a cycle on both sides. Just to make sure that I took the time on an item somewhere!

In all seriousness, twice isn't a necessity. It was just to calm myself down about items I felt unsure of.

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 23:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 9 hours ago  » 
    I don't know of any failures that weren't of my own error.

Just to chime in, I don't recall anyone reporting failures of the Packtite products. Perhaps the other poster can refer us to some of those reports.

I do recall people reporting failures of structural heat treatment, but that is an entirely different thing.

37. freetobe

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2012 20:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you every one for all of your responses. It is much appreciated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14